LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How do you care for the leather in your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my vote is still for the genuine Lexus leather cleaner. I will have to check out this leatherique stuff at some point
Old 08-29-12, 05:28 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I've used Lexol for several years on an LS430 and LS460 and both cars had no problems with the leather. I wipe the seats every week with a damp cloth and use the conditioner every 3 months. No Cracking or loss of color.
Old 08-29-12, 06:23 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NM600HL
Has anyone used Lexol? Feedback. A coworker loves it. I haven't tried it.
I run serveral detail shops and lexol is fine and any other types of leather conditioners. What you have to remember is that leather is animal skin and with skin there're pores, pores tend to close,dry and crack. A conditioner will open those pores and soften your leather, just make sure you buff the leather with a damp towel or sponge after you condition to remover build up or residue. As far as the dash goes I would recommend only wipe and dust with a damp towel, once you start caking grease and build up on your dash the oils in the dash will cook in from the sun causing it to warp and crack. So don't put anything on that dash!!!
Old 08-29-12, 10:59 PM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I run serveral detail shops and lexol is fine and any other types of leather conditioners. What you have to remember is that leather is animal skin and with skin there're pores, pores tend to close,dry and crack. A conditioner will open those pores and soften your leather, just make sure you buff the leather with a damp towel or sponge after you condition to remover build up or residue. As far as the dash goes I would recommend only wipe and dust with a damp towel, once you start caking grease and build up on your dash the oils in the dash will cook in from the sun causing it to warp and crack. So don't put anything on that dash!!!
Thanks! That helps re the dash!
Old 08-30-12, 05:13 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your welcome nm600hl, by the way nice 6 and very nice interior work!!!
Old 08-31-12, 06:34 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner quarterly. It has a more natural non-slippery feel over what Meguiars did to my leather (to slick).

My Local Lexus Dealer sells Lexol on their shelf btw... double the cost of Autozone or Walmart.
Old 09-01-12, 09:07 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used leatherique on my previous gs300(non perforated leather) with great results. On the LS thou...I've been paranoid that oil would somehow mess up the heating/ventilating elements. So i only used oil+cleaner on center armrest and driver-side door panel.

so who used leatherique properly(vacuum w/soft brush, apply rejuvenator oil, let it "bake" in the sun, clean up w/microfiber saturated w/cleaner) on perforated LS leather? any problems with seat's heat/cooling?
Old 09-02-12, 05:38 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zaino Z-9 and Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle are by far the best products I've ever used.
Old 09-02-12, 07:23 PM
Ys88q7
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use leather perfect excellent stuff,but with conditioners as SBLexus stated you have too make sure you buff it in after you apply it.
Old 10-13-12, 02:15 PM
rayford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used lexol on my 92 and it really cleaned the se
ats very nicely. No cracking no wear lines afterwards
Old 10-15-12, 08:03 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALeX300
I've used leatherique on my previous gs300(non perforated leather) with great results. On the LS thou...I've been paranoid that oil would somehow mess up the heating/ventilating elements. So i only used oil+cleaner on center armrest and driver-side door panel.

so who used leatherique properly(vacuum w/soft brush, apply rejuvenator oil, let it "bake" in the sun, clean up w/microfiber saturated w/cleaner) on perforated LS leather? any problems with seat's heat/cooling?
Leatherique has stood the test of time, on VERY expensive leather for many, many years now. It is used by a ton of collectible, antique car nuts who's autos far surpass ANY Lexus - in terms on Value and COST ! - especially for their leather interiors.

Possibly other products can work okay on Leathers. But why "try" ? When there is a proven solution ? Especially when you can be SURE !
Leatherique is ascribed by SERIOUS car nuts - and restoration shops - as the Platinum Leather Solution.

It is available from many on-line retailers, such as:
AUTO GEEK:
http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html?...FQSunQodO2sANQ

LEATHERIQUE Directly:
http://www.leatherique.com/

AMAZON:
Amazon Amazon

... And many others.

Simply do a Google search for Leatherique, and let not be your troubled heart !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 10-17-12, 07:08 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ask this because I use a high end cleaner / conditioner. However, Lexus just recently (yesterday) replaced the leather wrapped dash in my 600HL (quality sucked - it was bubbling up). One of the questions the Lexus rep asked me was if leather cleaner/conditioner had been used on it. This prompted me to check my owners manual. It basically states to vacuum dirt and then use water or a mild soap solution. Is it just me or is that a formula for dried out leather over time?
The beauty of the 600 is in its leather covered dash.. and yours was bubbling up? How unusual? I have two of the 2008 600hls and the dash looks as good as new. Of course, my cars are usually in the shade.. I am in Wisconsin. You are in Kansas? You not being in TX or OK - this makes no sense that your dash is bubbling up. I have been using different brands of leather conditioners. I would assume that using a leather conditioner is better on the dash.

Of couse, you have to be careful, using it on the seats - because they have air flow/pores.

By the way, my seats (especially drivers' seats) are showing wear for both the cars. One car has 45,000 miles and the other has 62,000 miles. The wear is mostly on the part where we enter and exit from the seats (left side of bottom cushion and left side of back cushion towards the edges - on the front driver's seat.

I asked the dealer about replacing the leather covering and he said it was not possible to do so.

Has anyone replaced the leather covering on their seats?
Old 10-17-12, 07:33 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mikey100
Leatherique has stood the test of time, on VERY expensive leather for many, many years now.
LEATHERIQUE Directly:
http://www.leatherique.com/

Simply do a Google search for Leatherique, and let not be your troubled heart !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Thanks for suggestion. I ordered a pair of bottles - oil and cleaner.. 16 0z only $41 at leatherique.com - cheaper than anyone else.. Surprising that the manufacturer is selling it at a 40% discount as compared to the retailers. Typically, its vice vera.. Anyway.. I shall try out leatherique.. Is the consensus that we should not use leatherique on the dash also? I am very surprised that 600hl dash needed replacement.. it concerns me..
Old 10-17-12, 07:35 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I ask this because I use a high end cleaner / conditioner. However, Lexus just recently (yesterday) replaced the leather wrapped dash in my 600HL (quality sucked - it was bubbling up). One of the questions the Lexus rep asked me was if leather cleaner/conditioner had been used on it. This prompted me to check my owners manual. It basically states to vacuum dirt and then use water or a mild soap solution. Is it just me or is that a formula for dried out leather over time?
Did lexus replace your dash for free? If not, what does it cost? It must be very expensive to replace the leather wrapped dash - the entire dash was replaced? Curious about cost - even if lexus paid for it.. I would imagine lexus would extend courtesy replacement.. no matter what, the lexus 600's dash should not crak in 4 years - even if used in phoenix!
Old 10-17-12, 11:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
The beauty of the 600 is in its leather covered dash.. and yours was bubbling up? How unusual? I have two of the 2008 600hls and the dash looks as good as new. Of course, my cars are usually in the shade.. I am in Wisconsin. You are in Kansas? You not being in TX or OK - this makes no sense that your dash is bubbling up. I have been using different brands of leather conditioners. I would assume that using a leather conditioner is better on the dash.

Of couse, you have to be careful, using it on the seats - because they have air flow/pores.

By the way, my seats (especially drivers' seats) are showing wear for both the cars. One car has 45,000 miles and the other has 62,000 miles. The wear is mostly on the part where we enter and exit from the seats (left side of bottom cushion and left side of back cushion towards the edges - on the front driver's seat.

I asked the dealer about replacing the leather covering and he said it was not possible to do so.

Has anyone replaced the leather covering on their seats?
Since my 4yr/50k mile warranty is up today, I went and had Lexus do the TSIB where they add padding in the bottom of the driver's seat last week. My leather was in really good condition for a 35k mile car but when they went to put the seat cover back on one of the rings used to stretch the seat cover back on ripped and since it is sewn into the seat cover they replaced the whole bottom of the seat for me. I asked my service advisor how much it would cost if I had to pay for it myself and he said just the part was $2,500 with their dealership discount and that is just for the bottom portion. I will say it is nice to have a brand new seat bottom.

Quick Reply: How do you care for the leather in your LS?