LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 07:10 PM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkGS
Here is what I know, as well as my own experiences....

DEI manufactures the parts for the 3 major remote start/security system products used as after market; Viper, Python and Clifford. I think this was a result of DEI acquiring its competitors over the years.

You can get a remote start that is designed to work short range (i.e. walking up to the vehicle), with a range of up to 1 mile using (still affected by walls and electronics between you and the car, but less so than the short range option), and via SmartStart

SmartStart is a cellular device that operates with an app (BlackBerry, IO5, and Android). It requires activation. I believe its $50/yr. or you can subscribe for 3 years at $100.

If your battery goes completely dead, then remote start will fail after you restore the battery charge. The installer can flash the unit with the necessary settings to get it operating properly.

It is my understanding that remote start on Toyota/Lexus models using the wireless keys will operate, but shut off after opening/unlocking the door. I would be interested if anyone has had a different experience. I know with other auto manufacturers, like Cadillac for instance, the remote start allows you to get inside the vehicle and a short amount of time to engage the wireless key to keep the car running.

The OEM key fob start feature (3 lock presses) does not function if you have SmartStart. My installer indicated that with the remote start via the 3 lock press of the OEM key fob would allow you to trick the car to continue running until you get inside the vehicle, but SmartStart required a connection that voided this ability. I believe it was either using D2D or W2W - only one or the other can be used with DBALL - not both.

For some certain circumstances, there are some nice features for having SmartStart, like scheduling your car to start on some regular basis to keep the battery charged (like if you store a car for a long period) or to keep the engine warm in cold climates where freezing conditions might compromise a good start.

SmartStart can also advise of current status; like if your car is running, security armed, etc.

You can use SmartStart to help you remember where you parked your car by storing a photo or, if added, by GPS location.

Comes with a 3 year warranty.

No functionality that comes standard with the car is compromised and, if SmartStart is not installed, can be incorporated into the OEM key fob.

In my opinion, remote start is a novelty. The greatest convenience I get out of this is if I am at the airport and returning to a parked car that has been sitting out in the elements, I can use SmartStart (and often the 1 mi range on the after market key fob) to start my car in advance and have it cooled down when I get to it. You could also apply to a similar circumstances, like being at a ball game for a number of hours, and remotely start/cool down your vehicle as you hike back to your car. Otherwise, I don't find many other conveniences that I couldn't live without.

While I could seeing bypassing the SmartStart option altogether, in my case, it was what I needed the most (the ability to start the car from a long distance, and the status indicator is also nice). I just couldn't see the benefit to starting the car as I approached it on foot, only to have to restart the car again once I got inside. The benefit to me was cooling down (I live in a warm climate, but would apply to warming up in a cold climate) well in advance of getting to my car.

I hope this information is helpful to others.
Thanks that helps a lot. I am notoriously impulsive and after reading your post I thought about it, I really dont need it. Sure it would be a nice feature to have nut in all reality I dont need and could spend the money modding something else I would enjoy better.
Old 08-26-12, 07:27 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

a few things.. as far as remote start... i always remote start all my vehicles.. for a few reasons..1st an foremost to circulate the oil in the engine an allow it to warm up before jump in and drive off to reduce engine wear( im kind of a lead foot).. 2nd in fl when its 90+ outside its well over a 100 in the car.. blk leather burns so i set the a/c to cool... (or heat on chilly morns) an at $60 bucks its a no brainer to increase my comfort..

as far as bypassing the door shut off feature,, i dont really suggest it as if its bypassed it leaves a window (however small) for theft.. as the car can be driven w/o the fob at that point...(dei set this feature to prevent theft by shutting the engine down when a door is opened or even unlocked so it must then be restarted w/an oem fob present) also with the newest firmware comes with EIPS Engine Idle Protection Shutdown.. (as long as the vehicle isnt in motion) if the oem fob isnt detected (time programmable) it will shut the car down for u..

as far as smart start..im currently out of town an i was demoing the system for someone..i pulled up my location(vegas baby).. then the cars location (orlando fl ..smart start gps) all recent info about the car.. an remote started it from the pool..lol.. peace of mind is priceless.. it also has a low voltage setting (as i dont drive the LS daily) so if the batt gets low..it will notify me.. if i dont respond it will start the car (programmable) to charge the batt.. then turn back off.. as an added feature if u have home security... u can link that too to your phone.. i turn the lights on/off nightly to give the appearance we're home..(programmable)...i love it.. cameras with an ip address comin soon..
Old 08-26-12, 07:33 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by New to IS3
I placed my order for one yesterday, I am excited and can't wait to get the module up and running. Package should arrive on or before Monday Aug. 27th.

I am going to try an install it myself, according to the install manual listed on their site. It is pretty much plain and simple install, I counted about 7 wires total and D2D method.

THANKS Shibumi1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if u need any wiring info pm me an i'll email it too you..anytime.. glad to help

make sure the DBALL is flashed with the proper firmware b4 u do ur install... as it works with 100's of cars.. the correct firmware is key to its operation

Last edited by Shibumi1; 08-26-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 04:47 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
a few things.. as far as remote start... i always remote start all my vehicles.. for a few reasons..1st an foremost to circulate the oil in the engine an allow it to warm up before jump in and drive off to reduce engine wear( im kind of a lead foot).. 2nd in fl when its 90+ outside its well over a 100 in the car.. blk leather burns so i set the a/c to cool... (or heat on chilly morns) an at $60 bucks its a no brainer to increase my comfort..

as far as bypassing the door shut off feature,, i dont really suggest it as if its bypassed it leaves a window (however small) for theft.. as the car can be driven w/o the fob at that point...(dei set this feature to prevent theft by shutting the engine down when a door is opened or even unlocked so it must then be restarted w/an oem fob present) also with the newest firmware comes with EIPS Engine Idle Protection Shutdown.. (as long as the vehicle isnt in motion) if the oem fob isnt detected (time programmable) it will shut the car down for u..

as far as smart start..im currently out of town an i was demoing the system for someone..i pulled up my location(vegas baby).. then the cars location (orlando fl ..smart start gps) all recent info about the car.. an remote started it from the pool..lol.. peace of mind is priceless.. it also has a low voltage setting (as i dont drive the LS daily) so if the batt gets low..it will notify me.. if i dont respond it will start the car (programmable) to charge the batt.. then turn back off.. as an added feature if u have home security... u can link that too to your phone.. i turn the lights on/off nightly to give the appearance we're home..(programmable)...i love it.. cameras with an ip address comin soon..
This would be awesome considering I'm currently having an issue with my battery sometimes draining overnight.

I don't find where that setting can be made. Can you shed some light on this? Is it another add-on, or does it come standard with SmartStart's SmartSchedule? The only setting I can find is where your car reaches a specified temperatures, you can schedule it to start up.

My SmartStart and DBALL were installed less than 2 months ago, so I have to believe I'm on a recent version of firmware.

Thanks for the information.
Old 08-27-12, 05:05 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anyone posted the price for the Xpresskits DBALL?
Old 08-27-12, 07:14 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I kinda want this just to scare the sheeet out of people when they walk by my car xD When my car cold starts with the cutouts open its a party
Old 08-27-12, 07:20 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

adamls2 - Knight Rider style, hold the unlock until all the windows roll down then activate the remote start and see the reaction on peoples faces. LOL

ehaze - Ebay has them from 46.00 for new and some sellers will flash the firmware for you for free.

Shibumi1 - Thanks for starting this post!
Old 08-28-12, 11:16 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Can someone help me, I am trying to locate where the main ECU inside the car.
Old 08-28-12, 06:23 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

This would be awesome considering I'm currently having an issue with my battery sometimes draining overnight.

I don't find where that setting can be made. Can you shed some light on this? Is it another add-on, or does it come standard with SmartStart's SmartSchedule? The only setting I can find is where your car reaches a specified temperatures, you can schedule it to start up.

My SmartStart and DBALL were installed less than 2 months ago, so I have to believe I'm on a recent version of firmware.

Thanks for the information.

do u have Smart Start Gps? on mine(gps secure plan) it shows under the CARS button.. choose a car (if u have more than 1). look in the Set Alerts subheading .. options:SPEED,LOCKDOWN,SMARTFENCE,HOTSPOT & LOW BATTERY..

if ur battery is dying overnight regularly.. i suggest replacing it..(recharging rarely works once a batts gone dead lower than 60%)if it does hold a charge the new full charge point is about only 80% of true full.. then it becomes easier and easier to die. i suggest an optima red top batt (1000cca)

Last edited by Shibumi1; 08-28-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 06:24 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Can someone help me, I am trying to locate where the main ECU inside the car.
pm'd u.. as well as posted in other thread..

your welcome anything to help the CL family...

Last edited by Shibumi1; 08-28-12 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 08:17 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
pm'd u.. as well as posted in other thread..

your welcome anything to help the CL family...

PM you, help wire details please
Old 08-29-12, 07:47 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Got is wired and programed, push the lock button 3x and nothing happens...

Can anyone help please
Old 08-29-12, 08:36 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I got it working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a programing issue. Love the remote start. I can remote start it and turn it off from my office window. YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-12, 09:13 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really want to do this now, but I sorta got confused LOL. So, the DBALL just adds the remote start from the OEM fob, and adding the smart start disables that feature? I personally just want the added remote start from the OEM fob. Also, is it confirmed to have a way to keep the car on even after opening the door? I know it is a dangerous thing, but If I were to use it it would be in a safe distance from the car + if you can turn the car off from the, why not?

To turn the car off from the key is it 3 presses of the lock button, or something else? Pretty awesome mod!
Old 08-29-12, 09:34 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this installed a few months ago.

My biggest concern having this installed was that after doing a remote start, the engine would stop once you unlocked/opened the vehicle. The installer told me he thought that the remote start could be tricked into continuing to run after unlocking/opening the door. However, this changed once I added SmartStart.

Apparently one used D2D and the other W2W. By adding SmartStart (according to the installer), this removed the capability of tricking the car to continue running after unlocking/opening the vehicle.

Is anyone aware of remote start working past unlocking/opening the doors on a '12 LS and/or does SmartStart change this?

I don't use the remote start feature much and the SmartStart even less. However, I do enjoy having both for those rare occassions where I benefit from a remote/smart start (cooling down a hot car, for example). If I was able to start the car as I walk up to it, and keep it running after I step into the car, then I would likely benefit much more than I do now.....
there is no takeover procedure for the 2012 ls models, which means the vehicle will shut down upon opening the door. as far as the smartstart is concerned same thing. i have an 08 IS 250 which i installed a viper 5902 and smartstart, i can just hit unlock after remote start and enter the vehicle and just drive away, i can also start the car with the cell phone and not even need to bring the keyfob when i am driving, once my car is started i just hit the unlock command on the phone and hop in and drive away while the keyfob stays in the house. of course if i loose my phone im screwed and ill need someone to bring the keyfob. but all in all i can just only use the phone if i wanted to and leave the fob at home. thanks smartstart. lol and there is no way anyone can steal the car while running, i use an idatalink bypass module which must see the unlock command from the viper unit to open a 45 second window which allows me to enter the vehicle and press the brake and drive away. if it does not see the unlock command from the viper unit and any door is opend , the car will shut down and alarm will full trigger..

Last edited by linus73; 08-29-12 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!