LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 09:04 PM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check on the sport/comfort buttons lighting up on the dash. But I know for sure the adaptive front lighting still functions like normal. Did not pull any fuses. I left the battery hooked up. I literally just pulled the stock lines off the old struts and unplugged the avs sensors, and put the coilovers on.
Old 04-22-14, 12:14 AM
minkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
I'll have to check on the sport/comfort buttons lighting up on the dash. But I know for sure the adaptive front lighting still functions like normal. Did not pull any fuses. I left the battery hooked up. I literally just pulled the stock lines off the old struts and unplugged the avs sensors, and put the coilovers on.
any updates on this conversation?

I just sold off my data controller... Not a fan of this at all.

On a side note.. does anyone know how to restart the oem AIR setup to re-level / adjust to factory settings?
Old 04-22-14, 10:27 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air suspension Relay & ECU

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Interesting. Any idea why my error codes would be on then if we both removed the suspension?
I was reading workshop manual and see there are 2 locations may be a possibility to have the x-mas resolve. Maybe a TPMS too as well. Make sure to wait 6 mins. before disconnect the - negative battery terminal. I hope it helps!

See images for more info.

1. Relay on the right side engine compartment
2. Airsus. ECU ( below passenger side knee panel)
Attached Thumbnails Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here-page-199001.png   Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here-page-201001.png   Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here-page-204001.png  
Old 04-22-14, 11:27 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to ADJUST STANDARD VEHICLE HEIGHT

Originally Posted by minkus

On a side note.. does anyone know how to restart the oem AIR setup to re-level / adjust to factory settings?
Try this!
1. Adjust the pressure of the tires
2. Press the start engine switch 2 times (Do NOT step on the brake)
3. Stabilize the suspension by releasing the parking brake and bouncing the corners of the vehicle up and down
4. Move the shift lever to N and move the vehicle forward and rearward
5. Turn the engine switch off
6. Start the engine
7. Press the height control switch and adjust the vehicle height to "HEIGHT HIGH"
8. Press the height control switch and return the vehicle height to normal

If that didn't work, you have to take to the dealer and they have to connect the Techstream to the DLC3 (OBDII) port from PC/Laptop. Good luck!
Old 04-22-14, 11:37 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minkus

I would like to know this as well.... My car was stuck on "High" mode but went past what its supposed to go and was extremely bouncy. I replaced the height positioning senor for the drivers front which corrected the issue. Just yesterday I now noticed that the car will lower itself, almost flush with the tire, then go back to normal height on its own while driving. I do not touch the height button anymore after the first incident.
Old 04-22-14, 07:11 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lieup
Try this!
1. Adjust the pressure of the tires
2. Press the start engine switch 2 times (Do NOT step on the brake)
3. Stabilize the suspension by releasing the parking brake and bouncing the corners of the vehicle up and down
4. Move the shift lever to N and move the vehicle forward and rearward
5. Turn the engine switch off
6. Start the engine
7. Press the height control switch and adjust the vehicle height to "HEIGHT HIGH"
8. Press the height control switch and return the vehicle height to normal

If that didn't work, you have to take to the dealer and they have to connect the Techstream to the DLC3 (OBDII) port from PC/Laptop. Good luck!
I have techstream at my house. What needs to be done to do this using techstream? Do you know?
Old 04-20-18, 04:43 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there anymore updated info on what needs to be done to convert from OEM air to coilovers ??

The car is going under the knife soon and it would be nice to clarify if I need to pull any fuses or roll the dice and get no dash lights like one member above.

The following users liked this post:
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 04-20-18, 03:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Is there anymore updated info on what needs to be done to convert from OEM air to coilovers ??

The car is going under the knife soon and it would be nice to clarify if I need to pull any fuses or roll the dice and get no dash lights like one member above.

its been a full year of me researching the same topic, and the only available info so far is to leave the height sensors on the car and you shouldn't get any warning lights

If you pull the height sensors u will forsure get a dash warning

Some people have said they pulled a fuse to the compressor , but others said that wont work because it is connected to other systems in the car.

others have said they just leave the compressor plugged in, and can sometimes hear it working , but left it as is and no lights

Please report back once you have done your swap , and let us know how it went
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 04-20-18, 03:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Also for anyone wondering , lowering links are NOT necessary , as the OEM links have more then enough range to completely lower your car to any level you like

Although once you drop the OEM air more then a little it starts to drive bouncy and horrible, I know for a fact many of the guys on the DATA systems cannot drive with the car lowered for this very reason, but for some reason they keep quiet about it and pretend its all good.
Old 04-20-18, 05:44 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

This issue with "driving bouncy and horrible" has to do with the automatic lowering of the vehicle above 65.

If you have skipper links, have lowered using the standard links, or have the controller installed WITHOUT the Nav harness (this prevents the factory automatic lowering), the car will be going from already low to even lower once you reach speed. For this reason I would highly recommend against the use of any of the aforementioned unless you never travel faster than 65 or remember to set the Height High button before you cross that speed. Using HH will keep your car from lowering at speed, but if you don't turn it off before dropping below 60mph it will raise the car to the HH setting.
Old 04-20-18, 10:43 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
its been a full year of me researching the same topic, and the only available info so far is to leave the height sensors on the car and you shouldn't get any warning lights

If you pull the height sensors u will forsure get a dash warning

Some people have said they pulled a fuse to the compressor , but others said that wont work because it is connected to other systems in the car.

others have said they just leave the compressor plugged in, and can sometimes hear it working , but left it as is and no lights

Please report back once you have done your swap , and let us know how it went
Will do. I was hoping to get more confirmation but the whole thread and everything that has been said on this topic in other threads are all mixed answers. It would bother me to have the compressor running after ripping out air struts. I’m really not looking forward to dealing with dash lights but it’s worth it to get the ride height I want.
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 04-22-18, 11:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 213374U
This issue with "driving bouncy and horrible" has to do with the automatic lowering of the vehicle above 65.

If you have skipper links, have lowered using the standard links, or have the controller installed WITHOUT the Nav harness (this prevents the factory automatic lowering), the car will be going from already low to even lower once you reach speed. For this reason I would highly recommend against the use of any of the aforementioned unless you never travel faster than 65 or remember to set the Height High button before you cross that speed. Using HH will keep your car from lowering at speed, but if you don't turn it off before dropping below 60mph it will raise the car to the HH setting.
I cant even imagine how bad the ride would be above 65 mph, mine was so bad it was literally undriveable just cruising around at low speeds.

Highway would of been laughable
Old 04-22-18, 11:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4

Will do. I was hoping to get more confirmation but the whole thread and everything that has been said on this topic in other threads are all mixed answers. It would bother me to have the compressor running after ripping out air struts. I’m really not looking forward to dealing with dash lights but it’s worth it to get the ride height I want.
agreed, I got my KYB struts with tanabe lowering springs sitting here beside me now for a few months, just waiting for the right time .

I will also make a thread once mine is done
Old 05-22-18, 03:16 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Air to Coil swap sucessful. Pulled the harness and air line off the OEM air strut, installed coils and no dash lights.

Im riding with 1/2” wheel gap and it rides not much different than it did with OEM air in Sport mode. There’s so much more connectivity to the road and feels smoother than it’s ever was. Braking and cornering capabilities are way up.

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 05-22-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 04:11 PM
Dmace63
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@vancity

great to here your conversion was succesful. I just got a 2010 with the sport package and planned on buying the coil overs, saving them untill the A/S dies on me. My credit union provides a warranty that covers air susspension untill 150k miles so that gives me time. How hard the job? I’m fairly mechanically inclined but never done any suspension work. Any recommendation for coil overs?

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here