LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Yet another thread about low beam adjustment

Old 07-06-12, 01:19 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Cjitty - I cannot locate what is in reference. Can you point it out on the pic please.
I am on a smartphone on the beach right now..I thought I described the piece clearly..if you can't locate it..you may want to wait on this until I can call...I can't describe it any better..sorry
Old 07-06-12, 01:21 PM
CJITTY

The gear that needs to turn is the silver round thing in the picture at top center of pic..its the only silver thing shown on the pic
Old 07-06-12, 01:56 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

It's been two months since CJITTY raised my low beams (with long a$$ Phillips head) and they have been fine, much better than what the stock hieght setting. Raising the low beams on the LS430 was cake compared to the 460, all you needed was a socket wrench, flat surface & a white wall.
Old 07-09-12, 06:44 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this what you are referring to (red circle with the arrow pointed). If so how can I put a phillips head to it. It does not look like something I can adjust. I will take a look at it tonight when I get home.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-ls460-headlight-assembly5.jpg  
Old 07-11-12, 09:24 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Update - No luck in trying to adjust the headlights. I still cannot locate the adjusting screw (phillips head).
Old 07-11-12, 09:43 AM
CJITTY

Please read my previous posts..IT IS NOT A SCREW! The Philips head goes into the hole which turns the toothed silver gear. Just take it to a Lexus type body shop to save yourself the aggravation. I have no other way to simplify this unless I physically show you how to adjust it in person. If I had my car still..I could make a short DIY video..and then it would be so clear it would be facepalm worthy lol
Old 07-11-12, 09:46 AM
CJITTY

Also..the angle of the red arrow is exactly the angle the long Phillips has to go down. There may be a plastic piece or soft material covering the slot on the assembly
Old 07-11-12, 11:06 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I think I know what you are talking about now. There is a gray cap next to the motor and when I remove it (as circle), I should see the adjustment screw somewhere inside the headlight assembly, correct?

CJITTY - THANKS for ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Second pic - Gray cap shown in the headlight assembly
Attached Thumbnails Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-ls460-headlight-assembly6.jpg   Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-headlightaim1.jpg  

Last edited by G-SharK; 07-11-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 03:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Lol funny story, my last visit to the dealer I asked them to raise it a little bit and they said its not possible LOL. They gave me some bull ish about its self leveling and never needs to be adjusted ever hahaha. My dealer really likes the pull somenstringsbwith me. Also, off topic but they also lost one of my hub caps and went for a 30 mi joy ride in my car and COMPLETELY denied it while also not following my own instructions on some other things as well.

Sorry I just had to vent...just really pissed that they lost a hubcap lol.
such BS . I had mine on my GS350 adjusted at the dealership. They saids it was a royal pain in the *** but they did it. They also told me that the screw needs to be turned 50 times to even notice a little change in the angle. I say leave it to the pros

I feel your pain on the other issue. Bell Lexus in AZ took my car to fix a vibration issue and put over 600 miles on my car "test driving". They also lost my wheel lock key and pitted the hell out of my glass that was 3 days old when I took it to them. I hate those bastards so much. Bell Lexus sucks. Its sad because I am seeing a trend with these dealerships and its not in a good direction
Old 07-11-12, 06:30 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by New to IS3
I think I know what you are talking about now. There is a gray cap next to the motor and when I remove it (as circle), I should see the adjustment screw somewhere inside the headlight assembly, correct?

CJITTY - THANKS for ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Second pic - Gray cap shown in the headlight assembly
Congratulations! now find your nearest white wall, a long azz screwdriver and crank it 25 counter clockwise turns (IIRC)....pay attention to the beam, you should gradually see it moving up or down...count the number of turns you make..this is crucial.

Then, step about 20 feet away from car with lights on...squat down gradually and you should see the beam intensity for that one light "hits" you before the other light does. Then, turn the gear on the other light the same number of turns to raise that one up..do the squat test again and hopefully the intense part of the beams hit at the same exact time and are even.

When i say intensity, it is the point where the projector cutoff ends and you are met with the bright light. I have adjusted all my cars this way, never been flashed and it seems to work...be very careful..I will stress again, count the number of turns and keep track or you will be fiddling with it like crazy. Don't go crazy!! Headlight beam adjustment is a safety issue and if you raise them too high, you could cause a problem. good luck and I'm glad you finally found the adjustment
Old 07-12-12, 06:45 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Update on my progress - unfortunately I was not able to locate the hole for the phllips screwdriver to adjust the headlight under the gray cap.

I have spent many hours trying to figure this out and I will not give up. Its a challenge and I know one day I will succeed.

I will post pics of whats under the hood and maybe you can assist me better.

THANKS!
Old 07-13-12, 09:41 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I found both adjusting screw location. I will attempt to level them tonight. Thanks Everyone for all your input.

CJITTY - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-12, 10:32 AM
CJITTY

That's good..wow, this was quite the adventure for you..haha..glad I could help
Old 07-16-12, 07:27 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I turn the screw a few times counter clockwise and it looks like its maxx out. I will not turn that direction anymore. Does that mean my headlight assembly is mounted too low. It does not look to change at all. I will attempt again tonight.
Old 07-17-12, 06:30 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Update. My headlights will not aim up. I have maxed out my vertical aim. Due to my 1.5" tanabe drop and it settling in a little lower in the front is the cause of my aim being low. My only two options now is to raise the front back to stock springs or getting coilovers/air bags...

Thanks again CJITTY and everyone for all your inputs!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another thread about low beam adjustment