ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   LS 460 - DIY Oil Change (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/640781-ls-460-diy-oil-change.html)

drydens 06-18-12 05:18 PM

LS 460 - DIY Oil Change

Help. I want to change my own oil. I cannot find any procedures for how to do this (in fact, i cannot seem to even find the Oil Filter). Help please!

caddyowner 06-18-12 05:24 PM

The LS460 forum has a number of threads on this. Do a search on oil change in the title of threads in that forum

Example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...re-w-pics.html

Lextrician 06-18-12 07:08 PM

I will give you hint as to where to locate the oil filter, under the car there is a little trap door with one 10mm bolt holding it.

peteharvey 06-19-12 03:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Get some ramps esp. Raceramps @ raceramps.com made of solid synthetic rubber [used in the space shuttle].
Open the trap door.
Remove the top oil cap.
Drain the old oil into a a pan.
Buy a SST Special Service Tool from Lexus, to remove the oil filter cannister.
Attach a 3/8" square socket drive to the SST, to remove the oil filter cannister.
Remember to clean the oil filter cannister thoroughly with detergent, rinse thoroughly, and dry thoroughly.
Buy a new oil filter from Lexus, and insert it into the cannister.
The new oil filter from Lexus also contains a couple of brand new rubber o-rings.
Smear oil around the rubber o-rings.
Tighten.
Refill the oil.
Best to use fully synthetic 5W30...

Attachment 462296

Attachment 462297

Attachment 462298

GregCon 06-19-12 04:32 AM

Why would you best use 5W-30 when it is not even recommended by Lexus?

Lextrician 06-19-12 11:10 AM

0-20 or 5-20. the 0-20 for fuel economy walmarts normally have 5 quart jugs for cheap

GregCon 06-19-12 12:05 PM

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but using those ramps puts the car in a non-level position which won't be conducive to getting a proper drain.

Lextrician 06-19-12 12:11 PM

the oil filters i get come with a drain plug, so you can use that

FLDJM 06-19-12 01:23 PM

Did your car come witht the aluminum oil filter housing or did you change it with the toyota tundra part?

Nospinzone 06-19-12 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by GregCon (Post 7307096)
I'm not trying to bust your chops, but using those ramps puts the car in a non-level position which won't be conducive to getting a proper drain.

I was thinking the same thing. I've never changed the oil on my LS so I don't know how that position affects a complete drain. However, you know a dealer has the vehicle level so it would seem that Lexus would design the drain to accomodate that position.

On the other hand, a small amount of old oil isn't going to make a significant difference since you're putting in 9.0 quarts instead of 9.1.

GregCon 06-19-12 03:22 PM

Yeah, it depends on the oil pan design how much will be left in the pan.

About 12 years ago I decided no more lying under cars for me so I bought a Mohawk 9,000lb lift. Which brings me to my next point - the LS is not well-equipped to be lifted as the factory lift points are small and flimsy.

bud hurley 06-23-12 11:24 AM

i bought a set of raceramps and they work great. $203 on amazon and free shipping for the 56" long ones.. had them in two days. the oil actually drains better with the car on the ramps because the drain plug is in the rear of the pan. as well as the ls460 the ramps work well for the toyota sequoia suv, the smart car, the john deere tractor, the john deere zero turn mower and anything else that i want to get under. very useful tool.........bud

I8ABMR 06-23-12 11:45 AM

always pretty simple to just take it to a shop. Its pretty damn cheap and a lot less time. I applaud you DIY guys. I just dont have the time, patience, or skill. I wish I did....

chris07ls 06-23-12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nospinzone (Post 7307331)
I was thinking the same thing. I've never changed the oil on my LS so I don't know how that position affects a complete drain. However, you know a dealer has the vehicle level so it would seem that Lexus would design the drain to accomodate that position.

On the other hand, a small amount of old oil isn't going to make a significant difference since you're putting in 9.0 quarts instead of 9.1.

The drain plug is on the back of the oil pan, so a slight incline actually helps. I have now done about 12 oil changes on my 07 and find it a lot faster than going to the dealer, plus I know everything was done to spec.

Silverpaws 06-24-12 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by chris07ls (Post 7315716)
The drain plug is on the back of the oil pan, so a slight incline actually helps. I have now done about 12 oil changes on my 07 and find it a lot faster than going to the dealer, plus I know everything was done to spec.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: