LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 11:22 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Not that I am a fan of huge wheels nor I agreed with CJITTY, just want to state some facts from my observations. Actually I usually prefer it one size smaller. Lexus usually keep it one inch smaller for ride quality and is a BIG deal. That is also why my LS430 is still on stock 18s, I refused to give up that creamy ride, even though I know 19s would make it look better and more updated.

But almost all high end luxury car come stock with 20s now a days and optional 21s. All AMG S-Class come with stock 20s, Even the S550 is stock 19s with optional 20s. 750i M is stock 20s, optional 21s. Audi A8 are all 20s now I think. Going one level higher, all Bentley are stock 20s, optional 21s. Phantom is stock 21s, but I guess that huge thing don't really count.

20s is the new 18s in 2012. Economy family cars are all stock on 17s and 18s now, so top end cars are all 20s+.

The catch is it require extra work to keep the creamy ride with huge wheels, AMG for example compensate the big wheels with the very expensive to operate ABC hydraulic suspension, they did it, but boy is it expensive.

On a full size luxury boat, ride quality is everything. I don't blame Lexus for keeping the small 19s. A prime example is the Infiniti M56, it's #1 complain is horrible ride quality with the optional 20s.
My car has 20' stock wheels, and sometimes I wish I had 18's or 19's for better ride quality, and at least I can go to a drive through carwash. The carwash in front of my house won't even wash my car in worry of damaging my wheels. And the combination of ROF tires and 20's is just horrible, I almost bent all my wheels yesterday on the highway hitting a bump, which should be safe if I had smaller wheels with meatier tires.

The only thing is with the huge body like the S/7/LS/A8 etc, 19's just look small and out of place. The manufactures also have to increase the size of the wheel, and put in more work for chasis and suspension due to competitions.
Old 07-31-12, 11:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by John_R
Well if it makes you feel better you can always look at the new Mercedes S-Class Interior, which is far worse and cheaper looking then the LS.

...images....
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course looking that testing interior that wasn't even meant to be seen by the public is no doubt what it will look like when it's released (not).
How much can really change from now until mass production? The basic design is already locked down, and to my eyes it is hideous. People dumping on the interior of the 2013 LS are either trolling or need their eyes checked, it looks spectacular, maybe the best I've seen.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-31-12, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeb
i was hoping to upgrade to the 2013 LS460 from my 2010 LS460 - but based on the info, i see no need to upgrade to this moderate refresh.

Not enough new or exciting features

I'm a little disapointed in the 2013
You should wait and test drive the new LS460 before making conclusions.

I reported a while back that they would make changes to the hp, torsen system, and mild chassis items, they have. This new 2013 LS will ride and offer a whole new and different experience than the current LS.
Old 07-31-12, 11:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...........regarding interior quality based on pics.

It should be noted that how you view a vehicle's interior on the web..............depends on:
-the camera/recording equipment used
-the quality of your monitor/screen/display

If you wanna see how good or bad a vehicle interior is, then go see one live and in-person and then be the judge.

Anyways, if there is minor thing I want to nitpick.

It's a small thing regarding the interior trim for the F-sport version. My comment is: I have absolutely no problem with the black interior and black seats. I love them without question.

It's just that well.........I'd rather have PIANO BLACK instead of aluminum. Just a personal thing I guess (Piano Black > aluminum anyday for me)

Other than that, it seems spot on. I would definitely want to see Lexus Japan release the JDM version of this new facelifted LS................wherein we will most likely see the "L-select" custom interior personalization options

P.S.
Btw, I noticed some other things (mostly minor):

-For the 4.6 liter V8 conventional engine models, how come the power rating drops when 4WD is used?
-Is it possible to get F-sport for LWB versions? (i.e. like how the S65 AMG only comes in long wheelbase versions or how Jaguar offers the XJ Supersport in BOTH SWB and LWB versions)
-the infrared sensor thingy in the steering wheel? I haven't seen it yet on F-sport models. Is it possible to have the infrared sensor in the LS F-sport???
-For the F-sport version, can I get the rear seat special amenities? (i.e. seat massagers, entertainment system, rear passenger ottoman seats, etc.)
Old 07-31-12, 12:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
My car has 20' stock wheels, and sometimes I wish I had 18's or 19's for better ride quality, and at least I can go to a drive through carwash. The carwash in front of my house won't even wash my car in worry of damaging my wheels. And the combination of ROF tires and 20's is just horrible, I almost bent all my wheels yesterday on the highway hitting a bump, which should be safe if I had smaller wheels with meatier tires.

The only thing is with the huge body like the S/7/LS/A8 etc, 19's just look small and out of place. The manufactures also have to increase the size of the wheel, and put in more work for chasis and suspension due to competitions.
Thank you for the concurrence

Yes now that body of cars are so huge, 20s is required to look proper. But it just required to have extra fancy suspension to make it rides good again. AMG really nailed it, the ABC on 20s ride as good as my LS430 on 18s. But then the wheels are still easily damage.

The next S-Class's suspension is rumor to be call "magic carpet ride", I wonder if it is just a fancy name for the existing ABC or most likely they improved the ABC even farther.

In a luxury boat, the magic carpet ride is KEY.
Old 07-31-12, 12:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Oh crap, I did a quick google for a 2012 s65 amg wheels and it showed a 19" amg wheels and I was puzzled there for a bit.

You're right, 20"s is now the norm.
I had a feeling everything is going bigger now.

I stand corrected then-insert foot in mouth

I agree that lexus has always been slow and conservative in the wheel dept.

Not that I am a fan of huge wheels nor I agreed with CJITTY, just want to state some facts from my observations. Actually I usually prefer it one size smaller. Lexus usually keep it one inch smaller for ride quality and is a BIG deal. That is also why my LS430 is still on stock 18s, I refused to give up that creamy ride, even though I know 19s would make it look better and more updated.

But almost all high end luxury car come stock with 20s now a days and optional 21s. All AMG S-Class come with stock 20s, Even the S550 is stock 19s with optional 20s. 750i M is stock 20s, optional 21s. Audi A8 are all 20s now I think. Going one level higher, all Bentley are stock 20s, optional 21s. Phantom is stock 21s, but I guess that huge thing don't really count.

20s is the new 18s in 2012. Economy family cars are all stock on 17s and 18s now, so top end cars are all 20s+.

The catch is it require extra work to keep the creamy ride with huge wheels, AMG for example compensate the big wheels with the very expensive to operate ABC hydraulic suspension, they did it, but boy is it expensive.

On a full size luxury boat, ride quality is everything. I don't blame Lexus for keeping the small 19s. A prime example is the Infiniti M56, it's #1 complain is horrible ride quality with the optional 20s.
Old 07-31-12, 12:13 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

The thing is to find the perfect balance between comfort/Sport/smoothness. So far MB's ABC is the best example out there. Wonder if any change/tuning made to the 13LS's air suspension.
Old 07-31-12, 12:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
-For the 4.6 liter V8 conventional engine models, how come the power rating drops when 4WD is used?
Maybe the transfer case is weak. Either way, who cares, it is weak either way and there is nothing you can do about it.

-Is it possible to get F-sport for LWB versions? (i.e. like how the S65 AMG only comes in long wheelbase versions or how Jaguar offers the XJ Supersport in BOTH SWB and LWB versions)
No.

-the infrared sensor thingy in the steering wheel? I haven't seen it yet on F-sport models. Is it possible to have the infrared sensor in the LS F-sport???
No.

-For the F-sport version, can I get the rear seat special amenities? (i.e. seat massagers, entertainment system, rear passenger ottoman seats, etc.)
No ottoman for sure, that is LWB only. From past experience, the LS Sport model is stripped down of all fancy amenities, like the last one was basically a base SWB with a body kit and bigger brakes, no options at all. I expect this one to be the same.
Old 07-31-12, 12:22 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
lmao joe, i was biting my tongue and see if anyone is going to point that out i like how the new combo is

gs - 191, ls - 204 (difference 13)
5 series - 193, 7 series - 205 (difference 12)
e class - 191, s class - 206 (current) (difference 15)

they all look about the same to me. s and 7 both have bolder front as well and other features.
What about SWB models? I posted SWB and LWB for the LS. I think they are all pretty similar. I guess what I mean to say is TO ME Benz/Lexus seems to do a good job with different size, similar style b/c I never confuse them. In regards to Audi/BMW, I have confused the models and more so than ever. And like you I'm a car guy

Is been that way since like 1998, or even before that. LS had always been way longer then the GS and front end is way more bold, even the L badge is way bigger.

My LS430 looks like is at least a foot longer then my mom's 2GS.
LS 430 was 196 inches long, 2GS 189 inches long. LS was far taller and wider. Lexus used to brag how the LS didn't grow much in length from the 1989 LS but interior room and trunk room was far greater. The LS 430 is deceptively big. (it is a big car!)
Old 07-31-12, 12:22 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm impressed. This 'new' LS/Sport is really sharp. The interior is really rocking on both models. Shift **** seems a litlle bulky, but other than that, I think it's a hit, real classy and elegant. As for the launch, well it was on Cali time and late at that, but I get the feeling that Lexus wanted to really do something 'artsy', that's ok IMO, but there was not enough focus on the LS itself. Ultimately, people will buy the car not because of the launch or lack thereof, but because it's a great looking car. When the LS hits the show rooms, that's when the 'rubber really hits the road'.
Old 07-31-12, 12:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

No ottoman for sure, that is LWB only. From past experience, the LS Sport model is stripped down of all fancy amenities, like the last one was basically a base SWB with a body kit and bigger brakes, no options at all. I expect this one to be the same.
in Europe, F-Sport will probably be top SWB version... And in US, probably depends on the market, we can see examples of GS F-Sport.
Old 07-31-12, 12:27 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Old 07-31-12, 12:35 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Lexus debut the new 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL tonight in San Francisco.

Here's our official thread in car chat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...hl-thread.html
thanks for that!
Old 07-31-12, 12:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The thing is to find the perfect balance between comfort/Sport/smoothness.
That balance is what everyone wants, is magical, but is also extremely difficult and extremely expensive. It is easy to make it handle on rail and ride very harsh, or feels like floating on cloud, but it float.

So far MB's ABC is the best example out there. Wonder if any change/tuning made to the 13LS's air suspension.
The press release said they tuned it a little, it is mostly they lowered the F-Sport electronically, they might have revalved the shocks a little. I don't see any hardwares changes. I don't expect any major differences in feels from the 13' car. If anything, they made it harsher. Just like the 4GS, it handles good now, but ride harsh. IMO, the Japanese is weakest in the suspension department, follow closely by styling.
Old 07-31-12, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John_R
That's the new S class huh. Boy hope the exterior is nice cause not really feeling this

Quick Reply: Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread