LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 06:58 PM
2009LS460A
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control Arms

Hi all,

I thought I knew how to do a google search but I was mistaken! I have a 2009 LS 460 (Base) AWD and I can’t seem to find the control arms for my car. I have air suspension if that matters. All of my searches resulted in control arms for the RWD only... Lexus won’t give me the part # (obviously) and the prices are INSANE!

I am looking for:

1) a complete parts list for my car
2) best aftermarket replacement parts
3) both front lower rearward control arms
4) driver side upper rearward control arm

There is also a thumping sound in the rear... and was wondering if the airbag strut/shock has mounts or if the mounts are part of the unit... I know for a fact the airbag unit is good... not bouncy at all. And I can’t afford to replace the entire unit if the only thing is the Mount...

The best I can describe the thump is that it Sounds like the unit is loose and when I go over a bump the thump is the “play” from the unit being loose... that’s probably the worse/worst description ever!

Any info would be greatly appreciated and want to say thank you all in advance!

Last edited by 2009LS460A; 08-13-20 at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stopdrpnro (08-16-20)
Old 08-13-20, 08:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

+1
I've looked around a lot too. To my knowledge, nobody makes the AWD "strut rod" lower control arms or upper rearward control arms. I'm just wondering what the exact difference is between the RWD and AWD in terms of the incompatible upper control arm.

In these cars thumping is a classic sign of a failure with the air strut. The air strut is an integrated unit with no user serviceable parts.
In other cars, in my experience thumping has related to the strut mount and/or sway bar bushings.

If you end up needing to replace your rear air struts and are considering the ones on eBay, I have a pair that I never used since I decided to go to aftermarket coil suspension. Let me know if you may be interested.
Old 08-14-20, 01:32 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I may be interested in your air struts. Mine are original and I am going to replace them most likely in the next 50 thousand miles.
Old 08-14-20, 04:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Last time I looked, the AWD parts were dealer only.
Old 08-15-20, 01:21 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Would this place help ya?

https://psbushings.com/lexus-ls/
Old 08-16-20, 11:25 PM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the rear thump . just replaced all my struts with reconditioned struts. My ride has improved slightly but the thump is still present. That leads me to believe it's rear control arms , strut bushing or some other suspension component making the noise.

Surely my control arms are overdue so keep us posted on what you find.
Old 08-19-20, 08:09 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Take a look at http://www.shopfigs.com/ they offer lots of upgraded suspension parts for all Model Lexus cars including the LS460.
Boomin (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 01:07 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stopdrpnro
I had the rear thump . just replaced all my struts with reconditioned struts. My ride has improved slightly but the thump is still present. That leads me to believe it's rear control arms , strut bushing or some other suspension component making the noise.

Surely my control arms are overdue so keep us posted on what you find.
beck/arnley manufactures the entire line of rear suspension parts for the ls460s. They aren't cheap but the OEM parts require a mortgage. As far as the thump goes, I'm interested to see what your issue is from. Did you recheck the torque on all of the fasteners of the parts you replaced after driving the car around? How are your rear sway bar bushings? How are your rear sway bar end links? These are some relatively easy things to check/r&r before going full ham on the suspension arms.
Old 08-19-20, 08:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

you are in deep now, this is why i will never buy an AWD model, no aftermarket support for control arms and very little for suspension

Old 08-19-20, 08:33 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
you are in deep now, this is why i will never buy an AWD model, no aftermarket support for control arms and very little for suspension
Out of a total of 16 control arms, only four are unavailable through aftermarket for the AWD. Rear shocks are interchangeable with RWD. AWD Front shocks are unique, but there are some aftermarket offerings.
Old 08-20-20, 07:33 AM
steedls400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Take a look at http://www.shopfigs.com/ they offer lots of upgraded suspension parts for all Model Lexus cars including the LS460.
Are you running these ShopFig replacements? Are the offset version for those wanting a tilt to their wheels or is it just an option to alleviate the pressure due to its design that causes them to go bad so quickly?
Old 08-20-20, 03:31 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by steedls400
Are you running these ShopFig replacements? Are the offset version for those wanting a tilt to their wheels or is it just an option to alleviate the pressure due to its design that causes them to go bad so quickly?
No, I am not running those figs arms on my LS. I do have their arms on my 01 GS430 though, make a huge difference in handling/ride, Love it.
You will only need the offset version arms if you want to increase you camber/caster, not needed for daily driven cars. No, they address the soft rubber bushings by installing poly bushings instead.
Boomin (08-21-20)
Old 08-21-20, 05:21 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdls
Out of a total of 16 control arms, only four are unavailable through aftermarket for the AWD. Rear shocks are interchangeable with RWD. AWD Front shocks are unique, but there are some aftermarket offerings.
That's good to know

The front lowers are the ones I'd assume aren't interchangeable?

what front air struts or spring struts are available for the fronts?

And by the way guys stay away from PSB bushings mine failed in 2 months it was the biggest waste of $1000 in my life
Boomin (08-22-20)
Old 08-21-20, 09:40 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
That's good to know

The front lowers are the ones I'd assume aren't interchangeable?

what front air struts or spring struts are available for the fronts?

And by the way guys stay away from PSB bushings mine failed in 2 months it was the biggest waste of $1000 in my life
The front lowers are incompatible but Beck/Arnley manufactures one AWD-specific front lower. The other front lower is a dealer-only part unfortunately.

Front spring struts are offered by FCS and Duralo that I've seen so far. The FCS quick struts are available on rockauto for somewhere around $100 for each. I bought the duralo struts but haven't installed them in the front yet.

Sorry about the PSB bushing experience. I heard they suck too!
Old 08-21-20, 10:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdls
The front lowers are incompatible but Beck/Arnley manufactures one AWD-specific front lower. The other front lower is a dealer-only part unfortunately.

Front spring struts are offered by FCS and Duralo that I've seen so far. The FCS quick struts are available on rockauto for somewhere around $100 for each. I bought the duralo struts but haven't installed them in the front yet.

Sorry about the PSB bushing experience. I heard they suck too!
thats great news!!! most of the 2013+ models here are AWD and i wasnt sure how i would get around that

Quick Reply: Control Arms