LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

brake noise on 2010 ls460

Old 03-14-12, 07:25 PM
tstoyone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake noise on 2010 ls460

Just purchased a 2010 ls with 20,000 miles on it. Brakes make a popping noise when coming to a stop. Not all the time, seem to get worse as brakes get hot. Have had to dealer twice they have resurfaced rotor, bled system put new pads. Still have noise my service manager opened a trouble in the lexus system and called Atlanta. They said this is charateristic of this car. I drove a couple of other ls cars and did not hear the noise. I have a schedule conference with their California Guru's. Not sure where this is going to end up. Has any one had this problem on a 2010 or newer car. I saw where the brake actuators where changed on the 07,08 and 09. Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-12, 10:26 PM
Orangecone
Driver School Candidate

Thats odd my 2010 ls purchased new and now have 14k miles were always buttery smooth and silent. In fact they dont make any noise at all, quietest brakes on any car i drove. Perhaps you have the sport model with brembo brakes? They are known to make bit more noise because of the high friction pads and stronger calipers.
Old 03-20-12, 04:41 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the TSIB applies to model years 2007 - 2010
Attached Files
Old 03-21-12, 01:32 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally took my 2009 LS 460L into the dealer yesterday because of this same issue. I'm still waiting to find out what their plans are to resolve this issue. If its the brake actuator, i hope my 3rd party warranty covers it.
Old 03-26-12, 08:12 PM
tstoyone
Driver School Candidate

Default brake noise

Thanks for all the info. I printed out the TSB since I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have one of the Lexus Guru's from California look at it. This will be some more info I have gotten from the forum that I can present to the guy.
Old 04-01-12, 02:56 PM
tstoyone
Driver School Candidate

Default brake noise

Took car to dealer. Rep from Lexus California looked at car. Hears noise. Put on new rotors and pads. Noise is still there. He wrote report to Lexus about noise but said only about 1 % of drivers would hear noise. That is totally unacceptable to me at 1%. I am going to try ceramic pads that dealer will install to see what that does. Only thing left is calipers or control arm bushings. Ruled out brake accuator noise. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-12, 05:23 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstoyone
Just purchased a 2010 ls with 20,000 miles on it. Brakes make a popping noise when coming to a stop. Not all the time, seem to get worse as brakes get hot. Have had to dealer twice they have resurfaced rotor, bled system put new pads. Still have noise my service manager opened a trouble in the lexus system and called Atlanta. They said this is charateristic of this car. I drove a couple of other ls cars and did not hear the noise. I have a schedule conference with their California Guru's. Not sure where this is going to end up. Has any one had this problem on a 2010 or newer car. I saw where the brake actuators where changed on the 07,08 and 09. Any suggestions?

You are not going to get anywhere. Many people mis-understand this trouble you are articulating - and want to point to the "brake actuator." Which is NOT the cause of the noise you hear.

What you have been told is correct: Lexus deems this sound acceptable. It's Brake pad "slap."

I'll be interested in following where this leads you .... but I have a feeling you are not going to wind up satisfied. The slight noise is simply one little Lexus quirk we come to live with and understand and enjoy.

Good Luck to you .......
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-01-12, 07:37 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Im not sure if i get this same noise but when i pump my brakes at a stop it makes a noise. almost like a click
Old 04-03-12, 08:43 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got the popping and clicking noise from the front brakes on my 2009 LS as I slowly came to a stop. The sound was not loud but was not normal, especially on a Lexus.

I found the TSIB and showed it to my dealer. They replaced the actuator and the problem was solved.

My 2011 LS makes no such noise.
Old 04-03-12, 09:21 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 2009 at Lexus last week but they told me it was normal. I showed them the TSB that was mentioned on this thread and they took me in the garage to watch the video that has the actual sound and it was different than the click sound i was complaining about. My impression was that they wanted to fix something (they seemed really slow with only 3 cars in the garage) but could not confirm the issue.

I was cool with that considering the 2012 Lexus ES I was driving around had a worse sound when applying the brakes. It sounded like a "Swoosh" sound every time I pushed on the brake so my issue on the LS was minuscule compared to that.

While I was there I had them replace the brake fluid since my car had 60K miles hoping that would help. They were honest and said the fluid looked fine, but I figured what the hell lets do it anyways since I was already there.

Last edited by telmz1; 04-03-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 12:17 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2010 Sport with the same noise. Dealership replaced the actuator and the noise went away. My 2011 has no noise.
Old 05-17-12, 11:22 AM
tstoyone
Driver School Candidate

Default brake noise

Had the 2010 back to the dealer to see if they would change the accuator because of the TSB , but the one on the car was the updated version. They did go thru the trouble of checking all the lines, rotors , pads and calipers. So I guess the noise I hear when braking is kinda normal. I am still trying to find ls 460 drivers in my area that may experience the same problem or try to get a ride in their car to hear if there is any noise. Just doesn't seem right for a car that cost that much should have brake noise.
Old 05-17-12, 12:47 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the 2010 back to the dealer to see if they would change the accuator because of the TSB , but the one on the car was the updated version. They did go thru the trouble of checking all the lines, rotors , pads and calipers. So I guess the noise I hear when braking is kinda normal. I am still trying to find ls 460 drivers in my area that may experience the same problem or try to get a ride in their car to hear if there is any noise. Just doesn't seem right for a car that cost that much should have brake noise.
Please first re-read my post I made about your problem back on April 1st..

LS460's - actually most/all Lexus' make this brake pad 'slap' sound at times. Any qualified service technician can demonstrate this to you from any Lexus (not just an LS) on their lot (as it was demonstrated to me). Some people, like you and I, DO notice this (and are annoyed by it) more than virtually all other customers.

If it were me, personally I would simply find something else to worry about. It is NOT going to get any better. And please know 1 thing, there are alot of people here (on C.L.) who are trying to help and who do not understand your situation. This is NOT a brake actuator situation.

PS - Installing ceramic brake pads may make this slap occur MORE often - Take it from one who knows. I am surprised the dealership did not try installing additional shims behind your pads. It MIGHT help your particular situation.

If I can be of any personal help, please PM me.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 05-17-12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 09:37 PM
polishpete
Driver School Candidate

Default brake noise

Just purchased an 08 is250. brakes also make almost like a clicking/popping sound. becomes worse when they get warmed up. Replaced my high performance ceramic brakes for original dealership brakes....still have the same problem. The rotors are also brand new. Can someone please help?! what could possibly be wrong?!
Old 10-26-12, 03:08 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

He wrote report to Lexus about noise but said only about 1 % of drivers would hear noise.
So you're the 1% that the Occupy whackos were talkin' about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake noise on 2010 ls460