LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can someone explain how to use the HDD audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 11:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Can someone explain how to use the HDD audio system

Hey guys I have been wanting to try to put some music on the HDD system. I have looked at the manual and cant find instructions on how to record the CDs into the HDD system . All it does it give you instructions on hoe to play music and that it. Anyone out there know how to do this ???

I have close to 7000 CDs and my wife was never able to get them all onto our computer so I figured I could put some of those rare gems on the HDD system
Old 01-22-12, 02:41 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

load the CDs into the CD player, hit the audio button to get the audio menu. Hit record settings, select all the songs (or select the songs that you like), go back to the previous menu and start recording. I am assuming that you have the Mark Levinson system. The stock system will not let you record CDs to the hard drive.
Old 01-22-12, 05:16 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I am assuming that you have the Mark Levinson system. The stock system will not let you record CDs to the hard drive.
An LS460 WITHOUT the Mark Levinson System, comes equipped standard with: Lexus 10-speaker Premium Sound System with Digital Sound Processor, Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer. This system DOES NOT HAVE a hard drive." Sadly.

Best Wishes to all - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 01-22-12, 05:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the bypass unit so my CD player is loaded with DVDs. I will try it out. Thanks
Old 01-23-12, 12:48 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mark Levinson evolution

The CD to HDD feature was an excellent Mark Levinson only feature. CD's have more sound information than MP3 player files and have a richer sound in my opinion. You can probably record about 2,000 tracks on your hard drive partition. You may also notice a "Grace Notes" feature will appear if it coincides with the database of your Mark Levinson's hard drive. The surround sound of DVD's is another interesting feature.

The new GS model will have over 800 Watts of power in its Mark Levinson option. Pandora, IHeart radio and Grace notes will be offered when it debuts next month. Mark Levinson has left the building but Harmon/Madrigal Labs is keeping the brand stoked with talent and new Lexus features.
Old 01-23-12, 02:02 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car doesn't have the ML system but I have the HDD icon and the system says that I have a 30GB storage when in the service menu...but I may be wrong??

BTW this might be off topic but if the new GS is getting a 800wtt+ ML system what will they put in the new LS?? Will they have a even crazier versionof it or just carry it over from the GS???
Old 01-23-12, 04:45 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey100
An LS460 WITHOUT the Mark Levinson System, comes equipped standard with: Lexus 10-speaker Premium Sound System with Digital Sound Processor, Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer. This system DOES NOT HAVE a hard drive." Sadly.

Best Wishes to all - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Unfortunately since, I believe, at least the 2010 LS460 the ability to record CDs to the HDD was no longer available - with or without ML.
Old 01-23-12, 04:52 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Adamis 2 - That is the hard drive on which the navigation maps are installed.

Mikey100 - All LS460s have a hard drive. The stock units only use it for maps - as Adamis2 points out. I was told by the dealer that about 20 GB of the hard drive is used by the Mark Levinson version of the audio system to store music. I don't know of any way for the stock units to record music to the hard drive.
Old 01-23-12, 05:25 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Adamis 2 - That is the hard drive on which the navigation maps are installed.

Mikey100 - All LS460s have a hard drive. The stock units only use it for maps - as Adamis2 points out. I was told by the dealer that about 20 GB of the hard drive is used by the Mark Levinson version of the audio system to store music. I don't know of any way for the stock units to record music to the hard drive.
Thank you for clarifying this. I know many of us are glad to have this cleared up. Many thanks !!
Old 10-02-12, 09:05 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump an old thread. But I purchased a CPO LS with the Mark Levinson system and just found out today that there were songs on the HD. How do I delete/format those from the HD?
Old 10-02-12, 09:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Sorry to bump an old thread. But I purchased a CPO LS with the Mark Levinson system and just found out today that there were songs on the HD. How do I delete/format those from the HD?
Owners manual is awesome
Old 10-03-12, 06:27 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Owners manual is awesome
^^^^^^^^
Old 10-03-12, 08:07 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Owners manual is awesome

You guys are mean.
Old 10-04-12, 02:09 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
You guys are mean.
Mean? Really?

Honestly, most of the questions asked here in the forum are all found in the owners manual. Step by step. In fact, the system is not hard to figure out. You navigate through the screens while in HDD and the option to erase all is right there. When I bought my old 460, I had some classical music on there..took me 10 seconds by trying and it was done. I'm a nice guy, really..but the owners manual is awesome..for real. It's great reading material about 45 minutes after eating some Doritos Tacos Locos....I learned a grip haha
Old 10-06-12, 09:39 AM
Pushkar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mean? Really?

Honestly, most of the questions asked here in the forum are all found in the owners manual. Step by step. In fact, the system is not hard to figure out. You navigate through the screens while in HDD and the option to erase all is right there. When I bought my old 460, I had some classical music on there..took me 10 seconds by trying and it was done. I'm a nice guy, really..but the owners manual is awesome..for real. It's great reading material about 45 minutes after eating some Doritos Tacos Locos....I learned a grip haha
Not everyone has the Owners Manual! and yes, i applied online to be mailed one. never recieved it!

Quick Reply: Can someone explain how to use the HDD audio system