LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Closing the loop on my 2009 AWD transmission problem

Old 06-29-11, 09:43 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Closing the loop on my 2009 AWD transmission problem

I just want to follow-up on what has happened regarding the transmission problem I was having with my 2009 LS 460 SWB AWD that I purchased used in 2010. If you are interested in the details they can be found in my posts here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...low-speed.html

here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...wd-owners.html

and here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ease-help.html

In summary, I had a severe transmission shudder over a wide speed range. After convincing the Lexus rep, the transmission, torque converter, transmission computer and engine computer were all replaced but there was zero improvement. I know others on this board have reported similar problems without any joy from Lexus. I am not sure why I was successful in getting these parts replaced other than the possibility that my car’s problem was significantly worse.

After some negotiating, that eventually involved personal discussions with Mr. Octavio DaCosta, the National manager of Lexus here in Canada; we arrived at a buyback deal.

I paid a total of $24,700 and, in return, I got a brand new 2011 SWB AWD that had the technology package (MRSP $9250 - my 2009 was only the standard vehicle) and includes the maximum ECP warranty of eight years/200,000 kilometers.

I would have preferred if my original car could have been repaired and wish it had not taken a full year to eventually solve the problem but, in the end, I am happy with this arrangement with Lexus. Throughout this process my dealer (Metro Lexus Victoria) has been fantastic. They kept me informed all the way and I really felt they were on my side. I also think Lexus has given me a fair deal, especially when you consider they have already put over $15,000 in parts alone into my old car.

I want to thank the other members on this board who were kind enough to take the time to provide me with detailed feedback on how their own AWD performed. It convinced me, and may have convinced Lexus, that the behavior of my car was not “normal”.

The nine years that I owned my previous LS430 convinced me that Lexus is capable of producing flawless vehicles and I now look forward to a long problem-free period with this 2011.

PS – I have noticed that the engine noise (often attributed to the high pressure direct injection) was much louder on the 2009. It is still present on the 2011 but not all the time and very faint compared to the 2009.

PPS - Just an FYI that my 2009 was a September/2008 build (one of the first of the AWD's) and the new 2011 is a March/2011 build. I figure this car has to be one of the last out of Japan before the Tsunami disaster.

Last edited by edarte; 06-29-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

congrats on resolving the issue. big question is, how's the tranny in the 2011? is it problem completely gone?
Old 06-29-11, 10:48 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats on resolving the issue. big question is, how's the tranny in the 2011? is it problem completely gone?
Well I have had the new car for almost two weeks now. I held off on posting (and on a response to Lexus) in order to have enough time to be sure the problem has been solved.

I can feel a very, very, very faint shudder (for lack of a better word) that is present sometimes if the car is going up a slope around 40 MPH. But I am hyper-sensitive to these sensations now and I would not be surprised if most people would not detect anything unusual.

This "shudder" never, ever occurred in my LS430 and I suspect it is related to the eight speed/AWD combination.

However, this slight sensation is nothing like I had with my 2009 AWD. For that car, it happened over most speed ranges, on slopes and on level and when it happened the car would shake so much, passengers in the back seat could easily feel it. (One of those passengers was the Lexus Rep. who said "if this was my car I would be most disappointed and would want it repaired")

So I am one happy driver now.
Old 06-29-11, 11:26 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are happy with your new vehicle. I would be happy as hell with a new car. Hopefully the AWD system in the 2011 has been revamped to solve the problem to the best of their ability. Good luck with the new car!! If they can make it better on the 2011's, one would think they can do the same with an older model.
Old 06-29-11, 12:06 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iceman76
Glad to hear you are happy with your new vehicle. I would be happy as hell with a new car. Hopefully the AWD system in the 2011 has been revamped to solve the problem to the best of their ability. Good luck with the new car!! If they can make it better on the 2011's, one would think they can do the same with an older model.
Thanks for the good wishes. Still not sure what the real cause was. If they have replaced the transmission, torque converter and two computers I don't think there is much else to tinker with that specifically relates to transmission performance. They also made sure that the controller software was up-to-date. But, as we all know, these cars have a lot of complexity, so the real cause could be very difficult to pin down.
Old 08-06-11, 05:03 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unfortunately this doesn't resolve the issue for current owners
Old 01-15-12, 09:07 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edarte - I am glad it worked out for you and it is good to hear that your persistence paid off. I only wish the rest of us were so fortunate. Regrettably, my car still has the shudder and it is very noticeable because I drive mostly city streets with a speed limit in the "shudder" zone. I think I will attempt the process one more time with Lexus and use your experience as an example to see if I can get it resolved. If that does not work I will then sell the car and jump from the Lexus brand which is a shame because the car is flawless in all other areas.
Old 01-15-12, 12:05 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by btexpress
Edarte - I am glad it worked out for you and it is good to hear that your persistence paid off. I only wish the rest of us were so fortunate. Regrettably, my car still has the shudder and it is very noticeable because I drive mostly city streets with a speed limit in the "shudder" zone. I think I will attempt the process one more time with Lexus and use your experience as an example to see if I can get it resolved. If that does not work I will then sell the car and jump from the Lexus brand which is a shame because the car is flawless in all other areas.
Sorry that your problems continue. After having the 2011 for over six months now and 9000 miles I am aware of the same transmission "shudder" in the 2011. It continues to be much less severe than in the 2009, whether that is just due to the fact it has fewer miles on it or some other factor, I don't know.

I can live with the problem now because I feel Lexus has been reasonable in their response but I continue to think they have a problem with the 8 speed + AWD. I am interested to see whether they change the transmission engineering in the next generation of the LS. I also find it interesting that they did not choose to put the 8 speed into the new GS