LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fuel injector cleaner. Whos poured it in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 08:43 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
... but that they do work for the rest of the system as noted...
And it works good in the bottom of the gas tank. I'm not straight up disagreeing with you roadfrog, as I think those chemicals do ... something. I'm just not convinced most will see the benefit as advertised, but could also result in more harm than good.

The only way I would run a fuel system or injector cleaner would be if I were about to fill the tank for a drive that was going to require the entire tank I just filled. And if I did, I would fill the tank to about 2/3rds or 3/4th, have those in my party and myself emply their bladders, pour in the additive, finish filling the tank and hit the road. And let it run as long as our bladders could hold out. That means I couldn't do this if my dad were along for the ride. He pounds water down and is in the bathroom every 20 minutes. Very frustrating when on the road.

My point is NOT that these additives don't do anything. I suppose they do. But I do believe (at least) injector cleaner would tend to loosen build-up on the tank bottom, and send it on down the line. Especially if it is poured in first on a mostly empty tank ... and then the car driven home and parked. I tend to believe the injector shop owner's input. Granted ... my information is not first hand witnessed. I could be full of beans. But it does tend to make sense to me.
Old 06-09-15, 08:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't use Techron concentrate because it is not rated as very effective vs other products. I prefer the Dura Lube or Gunk due to their strength and the fact that they do not contain whatever chemical that was that deteriorates nylon. Redline is popular but it does contain this chemical.

Amazon.com: Dura Lube HL-40199-06-6PK Severe Fuel System Cleaner - 16 oz. Bottle, (Pack of 6): Automotive Amazon.com: Dura Lube HL-40199-06-6PK Severe Fuel System Cleaner - 16 oz. Bottle, (Pack of 6): Automotive

TEST RESULTS
RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES (tars) FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS (decomposition) DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 10 Toluene (a common ingredient)
· 9 Castrol Syntec Power System
· 8 Duralube Fuel System Cleaner
· 7 Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 5 Gunk Air Intake Cleaner
· 4 Naphtha (a common ingredient)
· 4 STP Fuel System Cleaner
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 4 STP Intake Valve Cleaner
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 4 Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· 3 CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a "COMMONLY" used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY). They can be used freely in the gas tank. (The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK. (Do not add these to your gas tank unless in small quantities). Also, use them up quickly, do not let them sit for a week. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment
· Monoethanolamine
(The monoethanolamine is the worst here. It turns nylon black on contact. The decomposition products are only soluble in water and alcohol, no common fuel line cleaner will touch them. Without cleaning EVERY part of the fuel system, residual gunk in the lines will plug up brand new injectors in as little as a few minutes. Very expensive. It is significant to note here that the "best" "detergents" in use today are similar, strongly alkaline organic solvents). Another use for the current bunch of organic amine "detergents" is cleaning deposits out of cylinders, so I hear. Currently I only use the more corrosive cleaners as sprays into the TB rather than adding them to the gas tank so they can work on intake valve and cylinder deposits but stay out of the fuel system.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-09-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 09:35 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Lucas as a lubricant to protect the piston, rings and cylinder walls from wear in the upper coupled with top synthetic oil for the lower. engine should run forever. If I want to decarbonize, I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 02-11-19, 11:28 AM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Gsxr6k6
I use Lucas as a lubricant to protect the piston, rings and cylinder walls from wear in the upper coupled with top synthetic oil for the lower. engine should run forever. If I want to decarbonize, I'll take it to the dealer.

Same here. I see no problem with a good Upper Cylinder Lubricant product. I use Lucas UCL as frequently as I can afford it.
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (02-16-20)