LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A Lexus LS (XF40) without the screen??? LOLWUT?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 08:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Lexus LS (XF40) without the screen??? LOLWUT?!?!?

Here's the usual screen for those models with GPS Navigation installed:

While here is one that DOES NOT have GPS navigation:

But thankfully, it is still has a screen. So it's still all good

Hence, I had the impression that the screen is standard equipment on ALL Lexus LS vehicles.

That is until I saw this pic:

LOLWUT?!?!?!?

Why would this guy choose not to have a screen? Here's what he said:
http://www.joesherlock.com/blog-2010-04.html
Wednesday April 28, 2010

Low-Tech Hi-Tech: When I chose my 2008 Lexus LS 460 in September 2007, I had to special order it because I didn't want the navi/premium sound combo. It would have added $5,600+ to the price of the car. If the sound/navi system combo was $1,000, I probably would have taken it even though it is mostly useless to me.

I'm now old/deaf enough that I have trouble telling cassettes from CDs (What tape hiss?!), so the benefits of Mark Levinson and His Many Tuned Speakers are pretty much lost on me. I'm not a fan of navigation systems either. If I was, I'd probably want a portable one so I could use it in rental cars, too. These two options are frequently bundled with Lexus Parking Assist which costs even more and adds those ugly 'buttons' to the front and back bumpers of the car.

Recently, my Lexus dealer encountered another crazy customer like me. The guy wanted to know what the dashboard and console would look like without the navi screen, so I took a photo of mine and sent it to my Lexus sales rep. It still looks pretty high-tech to me.
Lol what?

You can have the screen even if you don't like to have GPS Navigation system. Our Philippine-spec Lexus LS models (LS 460L and LS600hL) are examples of that.

Seriously, let me ask you guys? Why would you choose not to have a screen? (I find it absurd to not have one.)

To save a few bucks? Lol, a Lexus LS is a premium flagship saloon. Save a few bucks on a car like this?!?!? If you buy a car like this, it means that you are loaded and money IS NOT an object.

Otherwise, then that guy DOES NOT belong in this vehicle segment
Old 12-18-11, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

not a single chance (for me)
Old 12-18-11, 11:06 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL! This same type of thread came up in the LS430 forums few yrs ago, I'm sure it is a very small niche of people who would go w/o the NAV. I would not go with a non screen 460 either.
Old 12-18-11, 11:21 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does look good without the screen looks like a regular car. most car still come with a screen navi or not. i would at least got the screen.
Old 12-18-11, 08:26 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My dads 1st LS460 that he ordered new, he ordered it without Navi. The car was black with the alabaster interior.
Old 12-20-11, 10:54 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw that when I was car shopping. It was actually a LWB with no screen. I know its all the same brand it looks like a Toyota interior with that.
Old 12-20-11, 03:46 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow That's Crazy

Absolutely foolish. Like Tee said, I do recall an LS430 post regarding no Nav screen. I feel it defeats the whole purpose of a car of this magnitude. An LS is the epitome of luxury and technology for Lexus. Why anyone would want to spend 70K and not opt for what is widely the norm now is beyond me. This isn't like not checking the box for luxe rear seats with massage features. Navigation in a car, let alone of that caliber is akin to people having cell phones in the new millennium. Also from an aesthetic standpoint, it just looks weak. I'm not even a fan of a mid level car like the GS with no screen, let alone an LS. But hey, to each his own.
Old 12-20-11, 08:26 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I have never seen an LS with a screen like the one in the second pic. Was this an option in the U.S.? I thought we only had the choice of Nav or no Nav without a screen. Does anyone here own a car without Nav but still with a screen like in the second pic?
Old 12-21-11, 07:51 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have never seen an LS with a screen like the one in the second pic. Was this an option in the U.S.? I thought we only had the choice of Nav or no Nav without a screen. Does anyone here own a car without Nav but still with a screen like in the second pic?
I was wondering that myself, I don't think i've seen an LS with an option like that. Actually it's the first time I saw it , looks definitely better than the 3rd pic w/out the nav or a screen though.
Old 12-21-11, 08:17 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The man sounds really old. So having traditional buttons rather than touch screen would be much more intuitive and easier to see/feel.
Old 12-21-11, 08:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Originally Posted by LexusChris
I was wondering that myself, I don't think i've seen an LS with an option like that. Actually it's the first time I saw it , looks definitely better than the 3rd pic w/out the nav or a screen though.
Hehe you guys must be referring to this:

This pic that you see is for Lexus LS for the Philippine market. (and possibly for Indonesia and Brunei as well). In our case, all LS460L and LS600hL officially sold in my country (i.e. from Lexus Manila) come with this setup.

And
Here's the same setup for Right Hand Drive units of Lexus LS without GPS Navigation

Like the Malaysian LS460 cars:

These units obviously do not have GPS Navigation.......BUT thankfully, it looks like Lexus was still generous enough to give us a screen (and a touchscreen that are seen in GPS Navi models that you guys have in more advanced/developed countries).

Anyways:
Judging from the reactions from you guys, I'm *somehow* getting the impression or notion that the setup (like in the above pic) is not available even in Stateside? Is that correct?

Hmm...........
So I'm guessing in America, if you want Lexus LS without GPS navigation, you're forced to get one without a screen???

Or maybe you can still get a screen even without navigation? As long as you choose to install Mark Levinson?

P.S.
With that said, I agree with you guys. This is a flagship premium vehicle we are talking about. In this case, a Lexus LS without a screen is unacceptable to me imho. It makes the car only look like a high-end Toyota.

But not a Lexus.......

Last edited by Blackraven; 12-21-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 11:42 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Absolutely foolish. Like Tee said, I do recall an LS430 post regarding no Nav screen. I feel it defeats the whole purpose of a car of this magnitude. An LS is the epitome of luxury and technology for Lexus. Why anyone would want to spend 70K and not opt for what is widely the norm now is beyond me. This isn't like not checking the box for luxe rear seats with massage features. Navigation in a car, let alone of that caliber is akin to people having cell phones in the new millennium. Also from an aesthetic standpoint, it just looks weak. I'm not even a fan of a mid level car like the GS with no screen, let alone an LS. But hey, to each his own.
Look at the non Nav (Premium Package) compared to one with Nav in the 2004-2006 LS430, sorry you gotta go Nav.
Attached Thumbnails A Lexus LS (XF40) without the screen??? LOLWUT?!?!?-jthbn36f340145108_6.jpg   A Lexus LS (XF40) without the screen??? LOLWUT?!?!?-dsc00017.jpg  

Last edited by Tee; 12-21-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 06:29 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I think it is a BAD call for Lexus USA to NOT even put the LCD screen on Non-Navi LS460. The 3GS does have the LCD screen even when it is not equipped with NAVI.

There are so many used LS460 for sale with NO Navi now so I guess no one wants it (well, just a few).
Old 12-26-11, 07:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

^^^
Agreed.

Hopefully, when the next-gen LS comes out (in 2-4 years time), this no-screen hogwash (for the base spec models) will become a thing of the past.........

And I think they will. After seeing its competitors (i.e. MB S class, BMW 7, Jaguar XJ, Audi A8, etc.) having screens as part of the most basic standard equipment, then you can bet that for the upcoming 5th generation Lexus LS, all vehicles will have a standard display screen (and 8 inches at bare minimum)

Last edited by Blackraven; 12-26-11 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 10:50 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Look at the non Nav (Premium Package) compared to one with Nav in the 2004-2006 LS430, sorry you gotta go Nav.
Tee, I recall seeing one in queens about 5 years ago when I was in the market for an LS430 and it looked just like that. The salesman was trying to tell me that it was rare to find one from that year with Nav and all I had to do was get a Tom Tom. I gave him the Ike Turner look and promptly walked off the lot. Did he really think I was that ignorant as to what Lexus was offering in the LS? Mind you, he actually saw me pull up in my SC430. It's like some of these guys don't do their homework before trying to spit their sales pitch to you. But yeah man Nav or at least a screen is mandatory in cars of this caliber in this day and age.

Quick Reply: A Lexus LS (XF40) without the screen??? LOLWUT?!?!?