LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 03:59 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Nice write up!
Thanks Mike. And you have mail.
Old 12-31-11, 04:39 PM
COLEONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait.......Do you have the ML? If so you must have already installed one of these signal processors I'm told is mandatory for aftermarket speakers with the ML amp. Or is it actually possible to just drop in aftermarket speakers? I think I have maybe 3 or 4 speakers still working (or so it sounds). It finally has me at a point to replace all 19 with something that will hopefully be more durable (for my listening preferences). Thanks.

Last edited by COLEONE; 12-31-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 12:23 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

No processor in my system and the system is still kicking strong. And I play it at 63. The guy that did the install said even though I have an ML amp, the impedence is now higher because the sub is no longer connected directly to it so it makes the amp work easier. So driving the 6x9s wouldnt be a problem for me. If I'd installed the aftermarkets along with the factory sub, then I'd had a problem. My aftermarket sub was replaced by a Kicker L7 which is driven by another amp.
Old 01-06-12, 06:24 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

and the saga continues... fabbed up the mounts..now i need to form enclosures around them.. but the hard part is done.. an absolutely no mods need to be done to the door panel itself... just trim a lil metal from the interior to make room for the magnets and enclosures...... rear doors were even easier the 7's just drop in the holes...only needed a 1/4 spacer so it sits flush an fab an encl for them as well...gonna have fun w/fiberglass now.... (fyi the router took a dump.. so these were built by hand with a jigsaw and sander.....lol i still have all my fingers and toes)
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)-p0001_060112.jpg   Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)-p0002_060112.jpg   Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)-p0003_060112.jpg   Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)-p0004_060112.jpg  

Last edited by Shibumi1; 01-06-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 10:42 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
and the saga continues... fabbed up the mounts..now i need to form enclosures around them.. but the hard part is done.. an absolutely no mods need to be done to the door panel itself... just trim a lil metal from the interior to make room for the magnets and enclosures...... rear doors were even easier the 7's just drop in the holes...only needed a 1/4 spacer so it sits flush an fab an encl for them as well...gonna have fun w/fiberglass now.... (fyi the router took a dump.. so these were built by hand with a jigsaw and sander.....lol i still have all my fingers and toes)
Skilllllzzzzz
Old 01-07-12, 12:55 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
No processor in my system and the system is still kicking strong. And I play it at 63. The guy that did the install said even though I have an ML amp, the impedence is now higher because the sub is no longer connected directly to it so it makes the amp work easier. So driving the 6x9s wouldnt be a problem for me. If I'd installed the aftermarkets along with the factory sub, then I'd had a problem. My aftermarket sub was replaced by a Kicker L7 which is driven by another amp.
Really? I did not know that I also have a separate amp/sub combo, thats very good info to know that my stock amp is now working at a lesser load that I disconnected the stock sub. I might drop in 4 6x9's then in the front and back.
Old 01-07-12, 05:05 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
Really? I did not know that I also have a separate amp/sub combo, thats very good info to know that my stock amp is now working at a lesser load that I disconnected the stock sub. I might drop in 4 6x9's then in the front and back.
its not a 6x9 in the rear doors.. its a 6.5 (closer to 6.75)
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (12-21-21)
Old 12-13-15, 03:16 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Sorry had to bting this back with a question any idea on the max depth of the 6x9 speaker,looking at these Cadence XM694Vi
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-XM694Vi.html

Last edited by Dew23; 12-13-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 06:56 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a word of caution.............. these OEM systems are equalized to match both the frequency/efficiency of the drivers and their location in the car. Putting in any old 6x9 is unlikely to match the sonic properties of the original speaker and will most likely result in a highly unbalanced sound. Point in case - the OPs comment that the aftermarket speakers were much louder than the originals. So you have two speakers blaring and the other 12(?) speakers playing normally.

If you're going to do this properly, you're looking at a total tear-out and replacement........ Expensive.
Old 12-13-15, 09:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Just a word of caution.............. these OEM systems are equalized to match both the frequency/efficiency of the drivers and their location in the car. Putting in any old 6x9 is unlikely to match the sonic properties of the original speaker and will most likely result in a highly unbalanced sound. Point in case - the OPs comment that the aftermarket speakers were much louder than the originals. So you have two speakers blaring and the other 12(?) speakers playing normally.

If you're going to do this properly, you're looking at a total tear-out and replacement........ Expensive.
Absolutely. People want to mess with a finely balanced system specifically tuned to our cars, by simply replacing mis-matched, imbalanced components. Doesn't work that way. I've installed countless stereos, speakers, subs, amps, etc etc.......this is one that needs no messin' with on my Mark Levinson. I understand the itch to toy around, believe me. However, thsi is one area that needs to be left alone......FLAME AWAY!
Old 12-13-15, 09:26 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Impossible words for an engineer to follow, for there is no progress by simply accepting what is presented. That being said, simply tossing speakers in may not necessarily work and is ill-advised unless you live by the motto, "May the odds be ever in your favor," in which case just go for it. Even trying to match impedance, sensitivity, power handling, woofer material, etc will not necessarily yield positive results.
Spend tons of time on DIYMobileAudio.com and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to about car stereos, but you'll also learn about the insane amount of money that sometimes goes into the experiments related to swapping speakers, crossovers, tweeters, amplifiers, etc.

As Roadfrog said, it's probably best to leave it it alone.
Old 12-14-15, 05:59 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

no flaming your opion unlucky for me my car did not have the mark levinson so ,if i have to i will experiment if i don't like it try something else
Old 06-30-21, 07:46 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you switch out your 6.5" for 6x9s?

I am thinking of upgrading the whole system and can't figure what I want to add leaning towards 6x9 component set up i front with the separate tweeter being up top to replace ....
Old 07-01-21, 06:15 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info, my front 2 speakers and rear sub are blown & Ml amp is shot, so I could care less ML sound anymore, I installed an high power amp and 2 12s alpine speakers in trunk so this upgrade fits me perfect...
Old 12-20-21, 03:34 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

its been 10 years how did they sound?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 6x9 door speaker install (pics)