LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation from 2nd to 3rd gear (LS460) HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 06:26 AM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation from 2nd to 3rd gear (LS460) HELP ME!!

I got my Ls460 3 months ago. I went over the car meticulously and felt a bit of a hesitation from a stop.

Found this TSIB and took it into the dealership.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-TC009-07.pdf

I also had them perform the other TSIB that has to do with random hesitation.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0033-08.pdf

NOW

Every morning i pull out of my driveway at 7:05 AM in reverse.

I put the car into drive and pull out of my street.

This only happens once, every morning.

BUT, when the car shifts from 2nd to third (every morning for the first time) it hesitates for a split second (almost like i shifted into neutral, and then back into drive).

It bothers the heck out of me.

does anyone know what might be the cause?

is it the fact that they did both hesitation TSIB's that might be interfering with eachother?

I took it in a week ago and the service manager told me that they probably forgot to "clear some existing codes/data and hit the reset button".

He said they fixed it and that he drove it and it was fine... BUT, i am not sure if he drove it after it had sat for 14 hours like i do every morning. Like i said, it happens one, each time i drive it every morning. almost as if the torque converter isnt full of fluid yet.....

HELP.

Last edited by Breitling; 09-23-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 08:30 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In my mind, I cannot duplicate your issue since you say it is only for a split second. Is it like a mild jerk and only occurs when the car has been sitting overnight? Maybe you should let the dealer keep it overnight and check it when it is cold. When my car is cold, I can feel the first two shifts but from then on, the transmission is very smooth the remainder of the day. The first two shifts are not bothersome though.
Old 09-20-11, 01:41 PM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

so, you have a very similar issue? is it caused because the car is cold?
Old 09-20-11, 05:10 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't consider it a hesitation but merely a very mild bump which doesn't bother me. Frankly, I think it is normal and it doesn't occur after the first shift sequence. It sort of confirms that the transmission is tight and is not slipping. Of course, that is my way of looking at it. Yes, it is probably attributable to the transmission being cold.
Many other vehicles including Mercedes which I have owned have shifted slightly differently when cold. One vehicle which I owned for 10 years never shifted into overdrive until after I had driven 3 to 5 miles depending on the outside temperature. Never had any problems with it. If yours is hesitating or bumping to the extent it is bothersome to you, you may want the dealer to keep it overnight for further evaluation as mentioned above.
Old 09-20-11, 05:31 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car in today for the 2nd TSIB that you listed. It's hard to explain to them what the real symptom is. They reflashed my ECU for free and gave me a car wash. Lets hope my hesitation issues are over with.
Old 09-21-11, 03:51 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did that flash but sometimes still have the hesitation...I would be going around 20mph and I step on the gas, RPM would rev up but the car doesn't move (any faster)...
Old 09-21-11, 05:03 PM
lexid7
Driver School Candidate

Angry Same for me

Originally Posted by Breitling
I got my Ls460 3 months ago. I went over the car meticulously and felt a bit of a hesitation from a stop.

Found this TSIB and took it into the dealership.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-TC009-07.pdf

I also had them perform the other TSIB that has to do with random hesitation.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0033-08.pdf

NOW

Every morning i pull out of my driveway at 7:05 AM in reverse.

I put the car into drive and pull out of my street.

This only happens once, every morning.

BUT, when the car shifts from 2nd to third (every morning for the first time) it hesitates for a split second (almost like i shifted into neutral, and then back into drive).

It bothers the heck out of me.

does anyone know what might be the cause?

is it the fact that they did both hesitation TSIB's that might be interfering with eachother?

I took it in a week ago and the service manager told me that they probably forgot to "clear some existing codes/data and hit the reset button".

He said they fixed it and that he drove it and it was fine... BUT, i bet he did not drive it after it had sat for 14 hours like i do every morning. So of course it felt fine. Like i said, it happens one, each time i drive it every morning. almost as if the torque converter isnt full of fluid yet.....

HELP.
The exact hesitation from 2nd to 3rd happens to me, exactly just like you said. Once every day when I pull out from my garage in reverse, and trying to go forward

I took to service and they could not repro it, but it happens every morning.
Old 09-21-11, 07:27 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

can u leave it @ the dealer so he can repro it in the am?
Old 09-22-11, 09:51 AM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexid7
The exact hesitation from 2nd to 3rd happens to me, exactly just like you said. Once every day when I pull out from my garage in reverse, and trying to go forward

I took to service and they could not repro it, but it happens every morning.
UNREAL, how wierd is that?
Old 09-22-11, 03:36 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From a complete stop, go to 60mph+ and use the gear stick to shift manually until you get to the 8th shift. If the car doesn't show the same responsiveness between all the gear shifts, it's a tranny problem. If it goes smoothly, it's a firmware issue that I wouldn't worry about at all.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (08-30-23)
Old 09-23-11, 11:24 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my car back from the hesitation acceleration issue. They change out the heads and the car drives GREAT now !!! Feels like a brand new car
Old 09-23-11, 12:02 PM
Breitling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomastan
I just got my car back from the hesitation acceleration issue. They change out the heads and the car drives GREAT now !!! Feels like a brand new car
where was your hesitation? from a stop? where?
Old 10-05-11, 01:41 PM
lexid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomastan
What do you mean they change out heads?
Old 01-09-12, 11:24 AM
chrism1111
Driver School Candidate

Default Need HELP

I have the same exact problem and lexus is telling me that there is nothing wrong with my car. What did they do to your car exactly.

Please help!!!!
Old 01-09-12, 11:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think I have the same issue but its only when the car is cold and had no time to warm up and its more like a rough shift from first to second

Quick Reply: Hesitation from 2nd to 3rd gear (LS460) HELP ME!!