LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What I like and dislike about this car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
This is a safety issue... you need the mirror folded out to get out safely when you are parked on the street. That's why it folds when you lock the car rather than when you turn it off.
Apparently they don't think so on the current GS either. That car has a user selectable option to have them fold in when the car is turned off or when locked, locked is just default.

It's not safety. If you fold your mirrors in and then turn the car off, they don't unfold when you start it back up. Isn't that "unsafe"?
Old 11-22-15, 12:46 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Apparently they don't think so on the current GS either. That car has a user selectable option to have them fold in when the car is turned off or when locked, locked is just default.

It's not safety. If you fold your mirrors in and then turn the car off, they don't unfold when you start it back up. Isn't that "unsafe"?
Is there an advantage of any type for the "mirrors in" when the ignition is switched off?
Old 11-22-15, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superdenso
Is there an advantage of any type for the "mirrors in" when the ignition is switched off?
It's just one of those things it would be nice to have the option to set. I don't like having the mirrors open out every time I go and get something out of the car, etc.

Why they made it selectable on the LS430 and the GS but not on the LS460 is beyond me.
Old 11-22-15, 01:24 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't know that... and, as a bicyclist, I honestly find it disturbing. How are people supposed to open doors safely with no way to look behind them for approaching traffic?

Only if you either move the car or try to get out with the engine running. The reason you need the mirror out is to exit the car safely.
Old 11-22-15, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can determine what I feel is safe and is not safe. I don't need Lexus to decide for me.
Old 11-22-15, 05:37 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just hope I'm not coming up behind you when you open the door with the mirror folded in.
Old 11-22-15, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I very rarely park on the street anyways.
Old 11-22-15, 08:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I just hope I'm not coming up behind you when you open the door with the mirror folded in.
Several months back, I saw a TV program that documented cyclist injuries due to drivers opening doors on them. I imagine Lexus is being cautious, due to your country's penchant for litigation.
Old 11-22-15, 08:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If that was the reason why would they have engineered that ability into the GS, a car that was designed after the LS?
Old 11-22-15, 09:01 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't know that... and, as a bicyclist, I honestly find it disturbing. How are people supposed to open doors safely with no way to look behind them for approaching traffic?

Only if you either move the car or try to get out with the engine running. The reason you need the mirror out is to exit the car safely.
This is true. I dont normally set my LS430's mirrors to auto-retract but when I do it's a bit scary exiting the vehicle....you have to physically turn all the way around to make sure it's safe to exit. Not the best way to go IMO.
Old 11-22-15, 09:12 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I can determine what I feel is safe and is not safe. I don't need Lexus to decide for me.
In this case it is more like Lexus is making it more difficult for you to make that determination rather than making a decision for you.
Old 11-22-15, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Getting away from mirrors.

Another weak point IMHO is the headlights. The HIDs in my GS were a lot brighter and better. I may ask if they're aimed right at the next service stop.
Old 11-22-15, 10:04 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They let the ES, GS and RX have that leather as an option, they should have that leather standard on the LS and even better leather optional, leather you can't get on the lower cars.
The GX also has semi-aniline leather as an option. That's one of the reasons for buying a GX Premium (pre-refresh, 2010-2013) or Luxury (2013+). But I agree, it should be standard on the LS.
Old 11-23-15, 08:28 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I love my 08. Is it perfect? Nah. Had I been willing to spend more money, I'd have bought an 11 and had pretty much everything I could want. I am disappointed that I have a small crack on the driver side arm rest. Not sure what that's all about. Over the weekend, I had the tire sensor light kick on telling me one tire is down to 26. Seems that happened right about this time last year. Most likely weather related. Also noted on Lexus Drivers site it has happened a couple of time before. I haven't noticed any pull when steering, so perhaps my control arms are ok. I do notice the clunk when braking, but since I stop, I guess I'm ok there as well. I have been saving up for my next LS from the day I drove this one off the parking lot. I'll probably look at a 2014 in a few years. Who knows.
Old 11-23-15, 12:28 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's critically important not to include 'compared to Mercedes or BMW' when saying what you do or don't like about a Lexus. I mean, a car's merits are something that stand, or fall, on its own. A feature should exist because it is needed, not because the Jones' have it.

Plus,I say this because it goes without saying that regardless of how good or bad a LS460 is, it's still way better than a Mercedes/BMW. Perhaps not on every minute level (i.e. "the Mercedes has an automatic trunk closer") but rather as an overall vehicle. Is there really anyone who will pose the argument that a BMW, or Mercedes, is a more reliable and trouble-free car? Or a better value?

My 'gripe' with my LS is simply that it has not shown the same level of quality that my previous Lexus cars have had. For example, this weekend I replaced an O2 sensor in my old 2005 GS300 (now owned by a family member). 135K miles - one starter and one O2 sensor plus routine maintenance. Never touched the fuel system, suspension, steering, radio, engine, etc.

Quick Reply: What I like and dislike about this car