LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 07:02 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch

Has anybody installed a trailer hitch (for a bike rack) in the Los Angeles area? If yes, could you post where it was done, and if you are happy with it?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-30-11, 10:01 AM
drogersthx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not live in the LA area but I have had receiver hitches installed in an LS400 and an LS430 I have owned in the past.

I had each of them done for bike racks and each was a 2" receiver hitch which is a custom project because the standard receiver hitch for an LS is a 1 1/4".

Both times I went to the place in town that does a ton of business and I had to explain to them what I was after and why. Each time they cautioned me against doing what I was asking because the car is not rated to tow almost any trailer that connects to a 2" hitch. One time they made me sign a disclaimer absolving them of responsibility, which I gladly did.

I have an older, quite heavy, Yakima bike rack that holds up to 4 bikes and I have taken long and short trips with no issues.

I would suggest finding a business that does a lot of hitch work and I am sure they can accommodate this for you. I would suggest you do not need any electrical work done - since you will not be pulling a trailer there are no tail lights or brake lights to connect. Also if you have it, take the bike rack with you and decide how far out you want the hitch to be installed – be sure it is far out enough to clear the rear bumper and still be able to lock it to the hitch. If I remember right I paid about $250.

This is definitely the best way to go because no part of the rack or bikes ever touch your car. Just be careful when the rack is off backing up to curbs.
Old 08-30-11, 07:50 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have investigated this situation myself.

As far as I have been able to determine, there is no "national hitch" manufacturer who makes a hitch, (regardless of whether it is a lowly Class 1 or not) hitch for an LS460.

Good Luck. I am interested in what you find out. However, I am not sure if you'll be successful due to the rear body designs of our babies.

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 08-31-11, 06:25 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a custom hitch by the local installer. Good for 2 bikes only. Vertical mount of the receiver tube - so you don't see it when not in use. Attached to the main bumper member - which is quite a piece of art in itself. Used the Saris Thelma wheel mount rack because of its low weight and ease of use.

Pictures here:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...05633&cat=3817
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...05634&cat=3817
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...05635&cat=3817
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...05636&cat=3817
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...05637&cat=3817
Old 08-31-11, 07:23 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thank you guys for your input, it's very helpful! Once I get going, I will post updates.
Old 12-30-11, 08:02 AM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

bob321,

Do you have any pictures of the hitch (without the bike rack ) shot from down low as it looks from the bumper?

I looked at the photos in your album and it looks nice, but I was hoping for a shot from a different angle. I'm looking for a hitch for the same reasons.

Not sure where you are located in Texas, I'm in Austin (Round Rock).
Old 01-03-12, 01:02 PM
bob321
Rookie

No pictures from bumper height - but there is nothing to see since the receiver part of the hitch is downward pointed and stops just above the bottom on the bumper. So no visible signs of a hitch unless the bikes are on it! The bike rack has the 90 degree bend on it to get things back to "normal".

This photo shows All of the hitch permanently installed on the car, when the bumper member is installed, the receiver points down towards the ground, not horizontally like a normal hitch.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...p?photo=105635

I do have to lay on the garage floor to put the bike rack on and its locking pin. I can take it off without having to lay down.
Old 01-03-12, 07:14 PM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

Bob, that actually makes things very clear! Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the advice.
Old 04-30-15, 02:13 PM
chadjkarl
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus ls460 trailer hitch

bob321: Can you provide me with contact information for your local installer who fabricated your trailer hitch so that I may have them create one for me and have it shipped here for local installation please?
Old 04-30-15, 06:15 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure that you don't go to a dealer with any issues related to transmission with your trailer hitch on the car. There was a post few months ago about a dealer that denied transmission warranty because of a hitch.
Old 04-30-15, 06:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Make sure that you don't go to a dealer with any issues related to transmission with your trailer hitch on the car. There was a post few months ago about a dealer that denied transmission warranty because of a hitch.
Ya know what's funny? In the EU, the LS460 is rated to tow 4409 lbs (3500 lbs for AWD). I actually saw this several times while I was in France and Spain last Summer. Large "Caravans" being pulled by everything from KIA's to Jags. No warranty issues there either. Just another example of North America's addiction to lawsuits and manufacturers ways of avoiding it.
Old 07-23-15, 08:05 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

I realize this is a very old thread, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've called all of the hitch shops I can think of here in Toronto, Canada, but they all just look at their standard hitch guide, see no 4th generation LS460 compatibility and throw up their hands and say 'sorry- can't do it'.

I'm just curious what kind of shops might do such work so that I know who to reach out to do such modifications.

I used to take my bikes out all the time with my old Acura RL, and I really miss not being able to do it now with the LS.

Thanks all!
Old 07-23-15, 08:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Go to a hitch or trailer manufacturing shop near you I used a shop in Victoria BC once to make a custom hitch for my travel trailer. They'll take some measurements, ask you some questions about carrying capacities, etc and build a custom hitch. Just keep in mind that this hitch will likely require some modification to your rear bumper, due to how low it comes down and covers up your chassis. This may require cutting some bumper material, etc.

On edit: Looks like Curt makes some for our cars:
http://www.autozone.com/1/categories...railer-hitches
Old 07-23-15, 01:29 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Any Welding Shop

Any Welding shop should be able to manufacture and install a trailer hitch for you. Back in the day I installed a hitch on my new 1989 Corvette Roadster and then made a Golf Bag hitch so I could carry 2 golf bags upright or 2 bikes.

Dennis
Old 07-27-15, 10:42 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Go to a hitch or trailer manufacturing shop near you I used a shop in Victoria BC once to make a custom hitch for my travel trailer. They'll take some measurements, ask you some questions about carrying capacities, etc and build a custom hitch. Just keep in mind that this hitch will likely require some modification to your rear bumper, due to how low it comes down and covers up your chassis. This may require cutting some bumper material, etc.

On edit: Looks like Curt makes some for our cars:
http://www.autozone.com/1/categories...railer-hitches
Great recommendation roadfrog! I had absolutely no idea anyone even made a hitch for our cars. And to top it all off, the customer service livechat person I was speaking with said that no additional drilling into the frame or cutting into the fender/bumper panel would be required.

I was under the impression this was something that we couldn't get around ... I'm almost thinking that this is too good to be true- too little work seems to be involved here. It's like the customer service rep was missing something or didn't fully understand that our cars were not designed for hitches.

It's especially alarming that he was under the impression that no welding or drilling would need to be done - that it would simply bolt onto the frame of the car ... I think I'm going to call this in to confirm before making any kind of purchasing decision.

At any rate, thanks again roadfrog!

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch