LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2011 noisy pinging at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 02:53 AM
aazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

somebody told me that the ticking noise is because the type of engine oil !

what do you think guys ?!
Old 01-25-13, 07:24 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type of oil? What does that mean? Wrong vicosity? Wrong brand? Synthetic versus conventional? Unless the oil is getting into the fuel injectors....

Sorry, oil type is not the issue.
Old 01-28-13, 05:22 AM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tic Tic

Originally Posted by thegov3
Type of oil? What does that mean? Wrong vicosity? Wrong brand? Synthetic versus conventional? Unless the oil is getting into the fuel injectors....

Sorry, oil type is not the issue.
2011 Ls 460 sport I can hear this noise up to 25 miles per. Same answer from Lexus, injectors?
Old 01-28-13, 07:11 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Ticking

Engine ticking noise stated by service department is due to the direct injection system. I had a 2010 and now a 2012, and they both do exactly the same thing. I do believe the direct injection is causing the problem. Engine RPM in and of itself has no bearing on it. Because when you increase your RPM's the engines overall noise increases and covers up the ticking sound. Have heard the input from numerous people from numerous dealer's around the country. I doubt they would all be singing the same song if there were no basis for it. The cars run great, gets decent mileage for that size of car/engine. Also, my sound system is always on (not loud) and I do not here the noise unless I step out of the vehicle while the engine is running.
Old 01-28-13, 07:55 AM
Elioac
Driver School Candidate

Default Elioac

Originally Posted by barrysanta
The ticking noise has been in my 2010 LS460 since 1000 miles. Its now got 22K miles, bad as ever. 650 rpm to 850 rpm. Drives me nuts.

Lexus has forced me to sue them because of lack of action by them. Its approaching 10 times for inspections by Lexus. at this stage I believe the only fix is to get a court to order them to act.

I can give you them name of my attorney if you request it.
I am in San Clemente CA.

The ticking is loudest when heard from the drivers seat.

Dear barrysanta
Based on my own experience with the taping, knocking noise coming from the LS460 engine, with less than 20,000 miles:
• The noise produced by the normal fuel injector system is almost impossible to hear. If you test drive a new LS460 like we did, you will see the difference of the noise you have in your car today.
• What I encountered was total denial when I visited 2 of the largest Lexus dealers.
• My background as a machinist, mechanical designer, helped me greatly to deal with Lexus / Toyota representatives, regarding this problem.
• Contacted the head of Toyota in the United States, asking for results. I was contacted and an engineer was sent to inspect the car. I was not satisfied with the preliminary repairs they did because the taping noise did not go away.
• Another test was done, the two high pressure pumps were replaced with new ones and the taping noise persisted.
• I got a different attitude to deal with the problem and demanded “all my money back, or a new LS460 with all the same options or for Lexus/Toyota to buy back the car.
• All of a sudden a fix was available and all the pistons were replaced, this mayor repair was done September 2012.
• So far the taping noise has not come back.
• I totally agree with you, once they penetrated the US market, their attitude towards the consumer has changed.

Elioac
ecalzadillaf@gmail.com
Old 01-28-13, 10:43 AM
thegov3
Driver

Originally Posted by Elioac
Dear barrysanta
Based on my own experience with the taping, knocking noise coming from the LS460 engine, with less than 20,000 miles:
• The noise produced by the normal fuel injector system is almost impossible to hear. If you test drive a new LS460 like we did, you will see the difference of the noise you have in your car today.
• What I encountered was total denial when I visited 2 of the largest Lexus dealers.
• My background as a machinist, mechanical designer, helped me greatly to deal with Lexus / Toyota representatives, regarding this problem.
• Contacted the head of Toyota in the United States, asking for results. I was contacted and an engineer was sent to inspect the car. I was not satisfied with the preliminary repairs they did because the taping noise did not go away.
• Another test was done, the two high pressure pumps were replaced with new ones and the taping noise persisted.
• I got a different attitude to deal with the problem and demanded “all my money back, or a new LS460 with all the same options or for Lexus/Toyota to buy back the car.
• All of a sudden a fix was available and all the pistons were replaced, this mayor repair was done September 2012.
• So far the taping noise has not come back.
• I totally agree with you, once they penetrated the US market, their attitude towards the consumer has changed.

Elioac
ecalzadillaf@gmail.com
Do you have any wriiten communication from Lexus that you can share in regards to the piston repair fixing the ticking noise?
Old 01-30-13, 02:51 PM
Elioac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thegov3
Do you have any wriiten communication from Lexus that you can share in regards to the piston repair fixing the ticking noise?
Send me your email or phone number.

Thanks,

Elioac
Old 03-18-13, 12:48 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

This has got me concerned. I'm on the brink of getting a LS460. I drove the '09 at Nash Auto in Costa Mesa, CA yesterday. Then another '09 at Tustin Lexus the day before and didn't notice any ticking sounds from the engines. Are '09s ok ? it's been reported here '11s , '12's , '10s for sure. but unless i made a mistake, didn't hear anyone say their '09.

Replace the Pistons ? are there Pistons somewhere in the fuel sytem ? We're not talking about the Pistons of the Engine right? If so, that's Crazy, and crazy expensive i'm guessing~
Old 03-18-13, 02:47 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

Also wanted to ask... on that Valve Spring Recall , is that a current Open Recall / Open Campaign ? If so, can i get the Code Number ?

Are all CPO LS460s between '07 and '12 for sale at any Lexus store going to have had this Recall done ? How do i verify this ? and i hope that's it's more than just looking at the Carfax. I called one independent dealership selling a '10 LS460 , and he looked at the Carfax and said ' there's no Open Recall ' ...how would i know/verify that this LS he's selling ever had this Recall work done ?
Old 03-18-13, 08:41 PM
thegov3
Driver

Don't sweat the ticking. It isn't that bad. I have the ticking noise on my 09 AWD. It is worse when it is cold. Better when it is warm out.

While 99% of the posts say it is the direct injectors causing the ticking, which I was told it was too by the dealer, I did receive documentation from a member of this forum that had his ticking eliminated via a short block replacement due to pistons and cylinder walls being out of alignment/spec. Done under warranty. But that is serious business. I can live with the very minor ticking versus engine replacement.
Old 03-25-13, 02:45 PM
Elioac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikectm2
Also wanted to ask... on that Valve Spring Recall , is that a current Open Recall / Open Campaign ? If so, can i get the Code Number ?

Are all CPO LS460s between '07 and '12 for sale at any Lexus store going to have had this Recall done ? How do i verify this ? and i hope that's it's more than just looking at the Carfax. I called one independent dealership selling a '10 LS460 , and he looked at the Carfax and said ' there's no Open Recall ' ...how would i know/verify that this LS he's selling ever had this Recall work done ?

The Lexus dealer should have this information. My 2008 LS460 was in the recall list.

ecalzadillaf@gmail.com
Old 03-25-13, 02:51 PM
Elioac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikectm2
This has got me concerned. I'm on the brink of getting a LS460. I drove the '09 at Nash Auto in Costa Mesa, CA yesterday. Then another '09 at Tustin Lexus the day before and didn't notice any ticking sounds from the engines. Are '09s ok ? it's been reported here '11s , '12's , '10s for sure. but unless i made a mistake, didn't hear anyone say their '09.

Replace the Pistons ? are there Pistons somewhere in the fuel sytem ? We're not talking about the Pistons of the Engine right? If so, that's Crazy, and crazy expensive i'm guessing~

Email Tamera at tameraj498@gmail.com and ask her
Old 05-22-13, 08:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I suspect that this noise that is reported in many of the LS460s is a "Piston Slap." Piston slap is an annoying condition but generally not regarded as needing corrective action.
Old 05-22-13, 08:33 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I suspect that this noise that is reported in many of the LS460s is a "Piston Slap." Piston slap is an annoying condition but generally not regarded as needing corrective action.
My LS has what sounds like a lifter at cold start. It goes away completely in a few minutes when the engine warms up. Could it be "piston slap"?
Old 05-22-13, 08:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
My LS has what sounds like a lifter at cold start. It goes away completely in a few minutes when the engine warms up. Could it be "piston slap"?
You should "Google" Piston Slap. There are numerous explanations as to how to diagnosis that condition and there are lots of videos and audios examples. In Post #22 of this thread I posted a link to YouTube video example of piston slap.

Quick Reply: LS460 2011 noisy pinging at low rpm