LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

weird VIN discrepency

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 12:02 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird VIN discrepency

so i found a great looking 08 LS460L listed on cars.com.

on the site its listed as "blue" and the pictures are of a blue car, however when i plug the VIN number into lexusdrivers it comes up as "obsidian"....
any idea why that would be, and if its something i should be worried about?

also, i've been scouring cars.com, autotrader.com, and craigslist daily looking for a good deal on a 2008 LS460L with low miles.
i'm hoping to find something with less then 60K miles and under 40K.
there have been quite a few in that price/mile range, however when i check the service histories there are always some dealbreakers listed.

any ideas for other places i should be looking that atm i'm not including in my search?

thanks, i cannot wait to get behind the wheel, i've been drooling over this for months, and researching non-stop.

oh my ideal color combo is smokey granite mica + creme leather interior.
cheers.
Old 09-08-11, 12:29 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Be careful from individual listings. When you see a low mileage, low price LS460 posted by an individual triple check every bit of the whole deal. When you start to ask questions, things just start to get weirder and weirder.

Once I stumbled on this ad of a gorgeous LS460L (of the previous year's model) posted by an individual and the asking price was ridiculously low. I emailed him and asked for more information and pictures of the car. He sent me few pics and how "the deal" would work which was just weird. So I was looking at the pics and I noticed there was a small white label attached to the car's key string which had the VIN. I went on with the pictures and there comes another picture of the door's jam which showed a different VIN than the one printed on that label attached to the key string!!!

Be wary of these scam listings on ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com and all these big online car trading websites.
Old 09-08-11, 12:40 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFNash
Be careful from individual listings. When you see a low mileage, low price LS460 posted by an individual triple check every bit of the whole deal. When you start to ask questions, things just start to get weirder and weirder.

Once I stumbled on this ad of a gorgeous LS460L (of the previous year's model) posted by an individual and the asking price was ridiculously low. I emailed him and asked for more information and pictures of the car. He sent me few pics and how "the deal" would work which was just weird. So I was looking at the pics and I noticed there was a small white label attached to the car's key string which had the VIN. I went on with the pictures and there comes another picture of the door's jam which showed a different VIN than the one printed on that label attached to the key string!!!

Be wary of these scam listings on ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com and all these big online car trading websites.
ya for sure there are a ton of car scams out there.
its pretty ridic what people will fall for, but this was listed not from a private party but thru a dealer "european motor sports" in texas.
anyways thanks for the input, its so damn hard to find the exact combo that i want and i'm so over waiting, but i really don't want to compromise and then regret it down the road.
Old 09-08-11, 01:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

It could be an honest mix up. I'm not sure if the same colors were available in '08, but in '07 there was Obsidian and Black Sapphire Pearl. The Obsidian was black and the Black Sapphire Pearl was black or blue depending on the light and what angle you were looking at it.