LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ML sound system failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 01:41 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default ML sound system failure?

OK, driving home last night the entire right side of my sound system died when I was making a hard corner. No sound at all, including the beeps when I pressed anything on the touchscreen. As soon as I turned off the engine and re-started the car it came back and has been fine ever since. Anyone else ever experience this? The car is only 6 months old.

Old 06-07-11, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no idea, but take the corner hard again and see?
Old 06-07-11, 06:55 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

how loud do u listen to your music? if a speaker is starting to go out it could cause that type of problem.. (shorted voicecoil) i've seen a speaker w a frayed tinsel lead (the wire leads from the terminal to the voicecoil) short out against the metal frame of the speaker during a turn.. this will put your amp into protect mode ( pioneer does this w most of their products) which results in no audio til the short is repaired or the wire shifts its postion..
Old 06-08-11, 06:50 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess is that it was a software glitch.

One way to confirm that is when it happens again, enter the secret menu* then press DISP button for 5 seconds. This way the car's nav sys (including ML system) will restart, or reboot as it's said in Microsoft's language. If the sound comes back again after the restart, then it's a confirmed SW issue. If it doesn't, then it's probably something else.

Another way to verify it would be looking at the error code that was registered that moment when the failure happened. To read the error codes, enter the secret menu. But then you'll need someone who speaks Lexus language to explain those bunch of digits and letters. Probably the dealer can extract the codes and decipher them to you.

*To enter the secret menu, press DISP once then on the touch screen press upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left within the display area (away from the edge frames).
Old 06-08-11, 08:46 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
OK, driving home last night the entire right side of my sound system died when I was making a hard corner. No sound at all, including the beeps when I pressed anything on the touchscreen. As soon as I turned off the engine and re-started the car it came back and has been fine ever since. Anyone else ever experience this? The car is only 6 months old.

Just to clarify... the left channel continued to work, only the right side went silent. Perhaps the center as well, because of the lack of beeps when pressing the touchscreen. When I stopped, I fiddled with the balance a bit, and when I went all the way to the right, no sound at all.
Old 08-14-11, 07:41 AM
aondrusek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just to clarify... the left channel continued to work, only the right side went silent. Perhaps the center as well, because of the lack of beeps when pressing the touchscreen. When I stopped, I fiddled with the balance a bit, and when I went all the way to the right, no sound at all.
I had a simlar issue about 4 months ago. System went out on right side. Intermittent for a week. Took to the dealer, but had healed itself and would not present for technicians. No recorded problems in the logs.

Then last night, 13 Aug 2011, the entire sound system went crazy with loud squels, unrecognizable voices and uncontrollable volume. Turned the system off and restarted sseveral time with the same result. On the 5th attempt, the system went dead silent.

No sound for radio, NAV system or phone.

Will be taking to dealer for a repair.
Old 08-14-11, 12:11 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aondrusek
I had a simlar issue about 4 months ago. System went out on right side. Intermittent for a week. Took to the dealer, but had healed itself and would not present for technicians. No recorded problems in the logs.

Then last night, 13 Aug 2011, the entire sound system went crazy with loud squels, unrecognizable voices and uncontrollable volume. Turned the system off and restarted sseveral time with the same result. On the 5th attempt, the system went dead silent.

No sound for radio, NAV system or phone.

Will be taking to dealer for a repair.
Looks like you caught your car having a stroke .

I guess your amp went out.

Valid warranty? Free replacement.
Out of warranty? Shell out $1200 - $1500 for a new amp or half of that for a used one.
Old 08-14-11, 05:07 PM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your amp will go out soon and need to be replaced. My amp went out two weeks ago and was replaced under warranty kind sir. Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-11, 05:17 PM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are out of warranty, I've read on here somewhere of a company that fixes ML Amps for the LS. I forgot what the core charge is, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't too much $$.
Old 08-15-11, 05:32 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman76
If you are out of warranty, I've read on here somewhere of a company that fixes ML Amps for the LS. I forgot what the core charge is, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't too much $$.

Correct United Radio is one of the best aftermarket and oem repair companies out there.. and they offer a warranty on the work done!!

http://www.***********.com/automotive/
Old 08-15-11, 08:21 PM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ I need to save that page so I don't forget it.lol