LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drove my first LS460 today: Very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 01:13 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=cmasten;6441182]
The new Bridgestone Serenity tires I just added took the smooth to a whole new level.

cmasten, so you think Bridgestone Serenity tires is smoother and quieter than the original Bridgestone Turanza? I am in the market for such tires. thanks
Old 06-05-11, 02:16 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick2JZ;6441226]
Originally Posted by cmasten
The new Bridgestone Serenity tires I just added took the smooth to a whole new level.

cmasten, so you think Bridgestone Serenity tires is smoother and quieter than the original Bridgestone Turanza? I am in the market for such tires. thanks
whole different tire. My neighbor has a new 2011 LS460 with the Turanzas and he just took mine for a drive (mine is a 2007), the quiet ride of the Serenity is nothing short of amazing,he noted the difference on just surface streets, its even more pronounced on the freeway, it is an interesting tire pattern, the original Turanza is built more like a Michelin, the Serenity looks like a complex math equation.

The 3 bridgestones for our LS are compared here
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/tir...0&rd=18&cs=235
Old 06-05-11, 04:11 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I find that I make up excuses to just drive this car!
LOL! April made a yr now of owning my 460, I find my self doing the same thing and road trips are such a pleasure with out any road fatigue.
Old 06-05-11, 06:57 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

[QUOTE=cmasten;6441344]
Originally Posted by Nick2JZ

whole different tire. My neighbor has a new 2011 LS460 with the Turanzas and he just took mine for a drive (mine is a 2007), the quiet ride of the Serenity is nothing short of amazing,he noted the difference on just surface streets, its even more pronounced on the freeway, it is an interesting tire pattern, the original Turanza is built more like a Michelin, the Serenity looks like a complex math equation.

The 3 bridgestones for our LS are compared here
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/tir...0&rd=18&cs=235
This is exactly the tires i'm looking for to replacement on my LS460L. I love the Yokohama YK520 in my LS430, but they don't have the size for LS460L. I will definitely try this new tires out..................thanks cmasten.
Old 06-06-11, 10:01 AM
eddie_k_
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
LOL! April made a yr now of owning my 460, I find my self doing the same thing and road trips are such a pleasure with out any road fatigue.
I find that my LS is the most pleasurable vehicle I own. I have my 08 LS460 SWB, a 08 Lincoln Navigator with air ride and a 02 Subaru WRX on coilovers and by far the LS is the I chose for my long trips.
Old 06-06-11, 10:56 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Try the Sport option package as a couple of other people have suggested. I have a 2010 Sport and, while it is nowhere near as tight a ride as my previousl 550i Sport, it is a reasonable compromise. It has a sport tuned suspension and the suspension is much tighter than the standard LS. It also has Brembo brakes and a sport tuned transmission with shift paddles. It is not a cheap option package but does provide a much tighter ride in the "Sport" suspension setting.
Old 06-08-11, 02:56 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick2JZ;6441226]

I have the Serenitys as well. They are really quiet and smooth and much much better than the stock bridgestone tires that come with the car. I got them through Costco.
Old 06-08-11, 03:55 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Avalon light???

You've got to be joking. I submit that you are either here to pump another car, or that you actually drove an ES and not an LS. Anyone who claims with a straight face that an LS 460/460L is as floaty as or steers like an Avalon either:

a) hasn't driven a 460
b) hasn't driven an Avalon

I owned an '07 460 for 3 1/2 years and now own a '10 460L with AVS, and frequently drive my parents '06 Avalon. Why would you even try to make such a comparison? Two completely different ballgames.

Now, if you want to claim that the 460 is floaty compared to a Ferarri, that would be a valid claim. It's even a bit floaty when compared to BMW/Audi, but get serious, will you? Look, if you want to pump the Hyundai, fine, just come right out and do it. But if you don't want the people on this board to see right through you, you're gonna have to be a little less obvious.

Last edited by dsc07; 06-08-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 04:13 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
You've got to be joking. I submit that you are either here to pump another car, or that you actually drove an ES and not an LS. Anyone who claims with a straight face that an LS 460/460L is as floaty as or steers like an Avalon either:

a) hasn't driven a 460
b) hasn't driven an Avalon

I owned an '07 460 for 3 1/2 years and now own a '10 460L with AVS, and frequently drive my parents '06 Avalon. Why would you even try to make such a comparison? Two completely different ballgames.

Now, if you want to claim that the 460 is floaty compared to a Ferarri, that would be a valid claim. It's even a bit floaty when compared to BMW/Audi, but get serious, will you? Look, if you want to pump the Hyundai, fine, just come right out and do it. But if you don't want the people on this board to see right through you, you're gonna have to be a little less obvious.
Lol that's funny, I agree the steeting aint nothing to sneeze because of the electric assist but I guarantee after a drop on some springs or coilovers you will be okay.
Old 06-08-11, 08:03 PM
stever500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I borrowed my friend's Lexus 2007 LS460L for 2 days last week. I was SO happy to finally be driving one without a salesman sitting next to me limiting me to 10 minutes of driving. It was in my favorite color combo - silver with blk interior. The interior and exterior was filthy so I cleaned it for him at house in the driveway before I gave it back the next day. Plus, it helped me decide if I liked it a lot by touching it, rubbing it down with towels, wiping it clean inside and out, doing the stock wheels, etc. Cleaning a car is very important to me since I like them really clean.

I found the seats to not be that comfortable and thought they were hard, and didn't really hold me in well at all. This surprised the heck out of me. The bottom of the seat was just plain hard. I tried EVERY electronic mode of the seats. Never expected that.

I really hated the half wood steering wheel as it was hard in my hand compared to my soft, all buttery leather M wheel on my 01 740i BMW Sport. I would never get used to that hard wood wheel, or would I? I think I would have to (want to) get the "Lexus 2010 Sport" as just to buy the steering wheel from the "sport" and put it on a non-sport - it's $1900 for the wheel PLUS the airbag. Wowee!

The 2010 Sports are still $60k with 11k miles on it (on cars.com). Way too much for me to spend now. My budget is more like $39k which puts me in an 07 or a higher mile'd 08 without much of or any warrantee.

I love the idea of low maintenance expense as my 740i cost me $5500 last year alone. That blows. Other things I didn't like about the LS 460L were the radio - I just didn't like the controls that much but it may have more to do with the fact that I wasn't familiar with them so I'll bypass that dislike. Same with the A/C controls. No one knew how to get the darn fan speed up and it was stuck in automatic. 2 other friends in the car had no idea. Not too intuitive compared to my simple, non I-Drive BMW.

The Nav? Arghhhh. Biggest complaint there. Whenever I get in my BMW I start driving and then pull out the directions and plug in the coordinates while moving. There's no way I'm going to buy a car where I can't do that. I guess there's some bypass switch I may be able to buy to fool the computer but still a drawback. There's no way you can paint this as a good feature on this car for me. I want to program directions in while driving. I don't care if Lexus thinks that's dangerous. I don't consider it dangerous when my passenger is doing it for me while traveling.

I so wanted to love this car. I need a car with lower maintenance than my 2 maintenance hogs (96 911 C4S is killing me too with problems and maintenance).

I drove the Acura RL a few times but it doesn't have the presence of the Lexus. I don't want any of the other Lexus's I've looked at. The GS, the ES, the IS-F don't do anything for me.

I may end up settling for the LS anyway one day but I hate many of it's features. Maintenance wise, Japanese cars are the way to go. It didn't drive very sportily at all though it was fast as s***. When I got back in my 7 series it felt tiny (which I liked), and the seat hugged me beautifully, the radio felt right, I could set my Nav for directions after heading out, and it seemed much more suited for a single guy (now) than the HUMONGO LS which says - family man with kids.

A buddy bought a MB2007 E63 instead of the LS460 recently and he loved it at first, but he just had an airmatic failure ($3k) and something else big and expensive just broke. Luckily he paid extra for a warranty but the down time is hurting him. I LOVE the used MB E63 but I don't want another maintenance nightmare. That's why in the end, I'm still not convinced which way to go.

Luckily, I can just hang out on this board, think about it, and do nothing for the moment.

Great forum you folks have here. Love reading about the LS's.

I'll go back to my corner and only come out here and there. I know this post won't be that popular but it's my experience, that's all.

Peace,
Steve
Old 06-08-11, 09:19 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you considered an Infiniti M45 ?
Old 06-08-11, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have to agree on the seats, i just felt the seats in the ls460 could have been better. for the nav, what can i say? we all hate about the lockout, but the ps override fixes that. definitely look for something you like, the ls460 might be the sensible choice, but still you want something you like to drive
Old 06-08-11, 11:32 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stever500
So, I borrowed my friend's Lexus 2007 LS460L for 2 days last week. I was SO happy to finally be driving one without a salesman sitting next to me limiting me to 10 minutes of driving. It was in my favorite color combo - silver with blk interior. The interior and exterior was filthy so I cleaned it for him at house in the driveway before I gave it back the next day. Plus, it helped me decide if I liked it a lot by touching it, rubbing it down with towels, wiping it clean inside and out, doing the stock wheels, etc. Cleaning a car is very important to me since I like them really clean.

I found the seats to not be that comfortable and thought they were hard, and didn't really hold me in well at all. This surprised the heck out of me. The bottom of the seat was just plain hard. I tried EVERY electronic mode of the seats. Never expected that.

I really hated the half wood steering wheel as it was hard in my hand compared to my soft, all buttery leather M wheel on my 01 740i BMW Sport. I would never get used to that hard wood wheel, or would I? I think I would have to (want to) get the "Lexus 2010 Sport" as just to buy the steering wheel from the "sport" and put it on a non-sport - it's $1900 for the wheel PLUS the airbag. Wowee!

The 2010 Sports are still $60k with 11k miles on it (on cars.com). Way too much for me to spend now. My budget is more like $39k which puts me in an 07 or a higher mile'd 08 without much of or any warrantee.

I love the idea of low maintenance expense as my 740i cost me $5500 last year alone. That blows. Other things I didn't like about the LS 460L were the radio - I just didn't like the controls that much but it may have more to do with the fact that I wasn't familiar with them so I'll bypass that dislike. Same with the A/C controls. No one knew how to get the darn fan speed up and it was stuck in automatic. 2 other friends in the car had no idea. Not too intuitive compared to my simple, non I-Drive BMW.

The Nav? Arghhhh. Biggest complaint there. Whenever I get in my BMW I start driving and then pull out the directions and plug in the coordinates while moving. There's no way I'm going to buy a car where I can't do that. I guess there's some bypass switch I may be able to buy to fool the computer but still a drawback. There's no way you can paint this as a good feature on this car for me. I want to program directions in while driving. I don't care if Lexus thinks that's dangerous. I don't consider it dangerous when my passenger is doing it for me while traveling.

I so wanted to love this car. I need a car with lower maintenance than my 2 maintenance hogs (96 911 C4S is killing me too with problems and maintenance).

I drove the Acura RL a few times but it doesn't have the presence of the Lexus. I don't want any of the other Lexus's I've looked at. The GS, the ES, the IS-F don't do anything for me.

I may end up settling for the LS anyway one day but I hate many of it's features. Maintenance wise, Japanese cars are the way to go. It didn't drive very sportily at all though it was fast as s***. When I got back in my 7 series it felt tiny (which I liked), and the seat hugged me beautifully, the radio felt right, I could set my Nav for directions after heading out, and it seemed much more suited for a single guy (now) than the HUMONGO LS which says - family man with kids.

A buddy bought a MB2007 E63 instead of the LS460 recently and he loved it at first, but he just had an airmatic failure ($3k) and something else big and expensive just broke. Luckily he paid extra for a warranty but the down time is hurting him. I LOVE the used MB E63 but I don't want another maintenance nightmare. That's why in the end, I'm still not convinced which way to go.

Luckily, I can just hang out on this board, think about it, and do nothing for the moment.

Great forum you folks have here. Love reading about the LS's.

I'll go back to my corner and only come out here and there. I know this post won't be that popular but it's my experience, that's all.

Peace,
Steve

Get either a e63 or m5...that's if it your only car.... If you have a "weekend" car then go for the LS because you will cherish the comfort and quitness in DD situations... But that's just IMHO...good luck on your car search ^_^
Old 06-09-11, 09:28 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Totally agree on the seats and the steering wheel, although I've gotten used to the steering wheel. I would still prefer all leather wrapped.

The seats, in my opinion, are the weakest feature of the car, and in my mind, about the only weak feature.

Have to disagree on the NAV lockout, though. I'm behind Lexus all the way on this one, after having been hit on the highway by someone playing with their nav system. No difference between that and texting while driving, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-09-11, 09:37 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsc07
Have to disagree on the NAV lockout, though. I'm behind Lexus all the way on this one, after having been hit on the highway by someone playing with their nav system. No difference between that and texting while driving, as far as I'm concerned.
+1 on the lockout feature. You can never be too careful with how some folks drive. Nowadays you have to pay attention for the other drivers, when they aren't. Although, I don't think it is necessarily a LEXUS feature. Fujitsu Tein/Eclipse, who makes the nav unit have been doing it for years. I have an old Eclipse nav h/u and it is the same way.

Last edited by iceman76; 06-09-11 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Drove my first LS460 today: Very disappointed