LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS seasonal tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 04:20 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS seasonal tire pressure

I picked up my new LS 460L in January and the tire pressures were 33 lbs. As temps warmed up this spring, I noticed the pressures climbing so today, I finally went around with a digital tire gauge and adjusted the pressures back down to about 33.5 lbs. Probably show up as 34 on the dashboard.

My question is, do you normally let air out in the spring and add air in the fall? I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region so there are large shifts in seasonal temps.
Old 05-24-11, 04:41 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I run 35 PSI, and check pressure when tires are cold about every two weeks...
Old 05-24-11, 06:52 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craig B
I run 35 PSI, and check pressure when tires are cold about every two weeks...
Does that make the ride harsher? Are your tires /45 or /50? Is steering easier? Is cornering better? Do your tires wear evenly at that pressure?

I have the stock 235/50R18 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires so I don't trust them in bad weather. Does it make sense to replace them before they wear out? I was thinking of getting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
Old 05-24-11, 07:35 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep mine at 35 psi also. I can't tell the difference with 2 psi difference. The LS's ride is already pretty soft and compliant. No unusual wear so far running at 35 psi.
Old 05-25-11, 07:48 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some places have nitrogen to fill your tires. Nitrogen is a more dense gas so you won't need to adjust tire pressure as much, if any once the tire is filled. The pressure doesn't change like "regular" air does with the seasons, dependant on where you live of course. I remember when I lived in Germany and got my tires replaced at a tire place, the guy asked if I wanted air or gas. At the time I didn't know WTH he was talking about and couldn't get a good understanding of what he was talking about. So, I opted for the "safer" air. Now wish I had went with the "gas". With the extreme temps in GE I would have to adjust the tire pressure for the season. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-11, 09:25 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I try to keep my pressure 1 or 2 psi's over recommended which slightly improves tire wear with no noticeable difference in ride quality.
Old 05-25-11, 11:55 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So to be sure that we're talking about the same reading conditions, the tire pressure reading needs to be taken when the car is cold.

When you drive the car even for a short distance, the air in the tires heats up and expands causing the reading to go up. So taking the tire pressure during or shortly after driving the car will give the wrong indication on what the tire pressure should be.

I use nitrogen. It's a cooler gas and doesn't expand much while driving. I have to add more nitrogen every 6 months or so (compared to 3 months with regular air). My target is 35psi. When I drive it reaches 40psi (especially when it's a hot day). So make sure you don't overfill the tires which may cause a problem when it expands.
Old 05-25-11, 04:50 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful. Nitrogen sounds like a great idea if I can find a place that offers it. I'll check around.

Update: Trying to check to see who's inflating with nitrogen, I came across this from TireRack:

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Also, Consumer Reports says there are benefits to using nitrogen but might not be worth it. Yes, you do lose less pressure by using nitrogen.

Unrelated side note: OMG, was just watching Motorweek at the NY International Auto Show and they showed a Lexus GS hybrid concept car with an ugly front end worse than the big Audi. Yikes, if that's a design trend, I'm really glad I got the 2011 LS. The concept if for a future GS but damn, it's ugly!

Last edited by OBRon; 05-25-11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 06:14 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OBRon

Unrelated side note: OMG, was just watching Motorweek at the NY International Auto Show and they showed a Lexus GS hybrid concept car with an ugly front end worse than the big Audi. Yikes, if that's a design trend, I'm really glad I got the 2011 LS. The concept if for a future GS but damn, it's ugly!
I reacted in similar fashion on another thread but was out voted. Notwithstanding, I agree with you, that is one ugly a$$ car. There appears to be a trend towards the ugly Audi-like front.
Old 05-25-11, 07:40 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hopefully theytone it down and not let the grill flow that low. but personally the current gs needs a facelift, because the 1st and 2nd gens gs look really good.
Old 05-25-11, 09:44 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

u know what... i like it...i'd hit it.... no discrimination for me

now back onto the main topic...mine are always 38-42...i need to lower them...
Old 05-26-11, 08:59 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adamls2

WOW! Is that cold pressure
taken with a tire gauge?
Old 05-26-11, 12:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
u know what... i like it...i'd hit it.... no discrimination for me

I run mine at 44 psi. When they warm up I have seen them get to 46 psi. The manual recommend 38 psi I thought ( stock wheels)The cars weighs a lot and I am sitting on rubber band tires ( 30 profile in front and 25 series in the rear)
Old 05-26-11, 12:33 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
I keep mine at 35 psi also. I can't tell the difference with 2 psi difference. The LS's ride is already pretty soft and compliant. No unusual wear so far running at 35 psi.
Same here, no harsh ride or unusual wear...
Old 05-26-11, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OBRon
Thanks for the responses! Very helpful. Nitrogen sounds like a great idea if I can find a place that offers it. I'll check around.

Update: Trying to check to see who's inflating with nitrogen, I came across this from TireRack:

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Also, Consumer Reports says there are benefits to using nitrogen but might not be worth it. Yes, you do lose less pressure by using nitrogen.

I am pretty sure that nose will not make into production

Quick Reply: LS seasonal tire pressure