ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   K and N washable reuseable airfilters (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/561831-k-and-n-washable-reuseable-airfilters.html)

byroncat 03-29-11 05:42 PM

K and N washable reuseable airfilters

]
Planning to buy K & N air filters for my 2007 LS 460.
What has been your experience with these filters?
Is the perfomance worth the extra cost?
Byroncat

CJITTY 03-29-11 07:10 PM

I have used these on all my cars..i see slight mpg increases..about 3mpg on road trips and about 1 or 2 in city with these in my LS. Some folks here don't like them because they think the oil on the filter will cause some issues for the sensors, but when properly cleaned and re-oiled, I don't see an issue..never once did I have any issue from a K&N filter

Silverpaws 03-29-11 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by byroncat (Post 6266224)
]
Planning to buy K & N air filters for my 2007 LS 460.
What has been your experience with these filters?
Is the perfomance worth the extra cost?
Byroncat

I used one in another vehicle and did in fact, get a slight increase in gas mileage. Then it occurred to me that this extra mileage most probably results from the engine breathing easier. If the engine is breathing easier, then it could possibly be breathing in more contaminants. Just my two cents.:dunno:

Flapjack1 03-30-11 05:45 AM

I wouldn't even bother with an aftermarket filter on this car. The OEM filters are about impossible to beat as far as material quality and "breathability". A K&N will only allow more particulates into your combustion chambers and that aint so good, plus you might end up throwing a DTC which will take you back to the dealer to reset.
If you do end up going that route please , please do not put a K&N sticker on your window like a kid with a fart cannon muffler on his 98 civic :D

Craig B 03-30-11 07:34 AM

I agree, it can mess up your mass air flow sensor or sensors and they let more dirt into the engine. I would stick with the factory filters. Not worth fooling around with is my opinion...

cmasten 03-30-11 12:36 PM

The factory filters are excellent, reasonable if you buy them off resellers from EBay etc and just change them out often. I have tried the K&Ns and they never impressed me, plus they were more expensive and required cleaning etc, the factory units i just toss and put in a brand new fresh one every year or so.

byroncat 03-30-11 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by CJITTY (Post 6266512)
I have used these on all my cars..i see slight mpg increases..about 3mpg on road trips and about 1 or 2 in city with these in my LS. Some folks here don't like them because they think the oil on the filter will cause some issues for the sensors, but when properly cleaned and re-oiled, I don't see an issue..never once did I have any issue from a K&N filter

Thanks for your response the answers look to vary.
Byroncat

byroncat 03-30-11 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cmasten (Post 6268639)
The factory filters are excellent, reasonable if you buy them off resellers from EBay etc and just change them out often. I have tried the K&Ns and they never impressed me, plus they were more expensive and required cleaning etc, the factory units i just toss and put in a brand new fresh one every year or so.

One of the things I like about tis site is the independent thinking! thanks for your thought!

byroncat 03-30-11 01:04 PM

Thanks for your response!

byroncat 03-30-11 01:06 PM

Thanks---rest assured you well never see an ole fart sticker on my car!

byroncat 03-30-11 01:08 PM

Thanks I have enough info to decide.

byroncat 03-30-11 01:09 PM

Good answer I'll take it from here.

cmasten 03-30-11 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by byroncat (Post 6268678)
One of the things I like about tis site is the independent thinking! thanks for your thought!

I have not been too impressed with standard OEM filters, but Lexus on the LS just has some outstanding OEM parts, the filters for everything have been excellent. They are really easy to find online at good discounts so I usually just stock up. The OEM oil filters I buy for just 10.00 a 3 pack for example.

byroncat 04-04-11 08:53 AM

Thanks for your imput--The general consensus seems to support you.
B

RioDino 04-06-11 09:01 PM

Looks like you got what you were looking for, but here are my two cents worth:

I have K&N on all my cars, GS 350 AWD, GX 470, LS 460L, RX 330, Toyota Tundra, Scion Tc.

I have NEVER had a problem with the mass air flow sensor in any car.

The GS added a noticeable 'growl' under full acceleration with the K&N filter.

The GX added the most MPG boost, getting about 15% better overall mileage.

The first thing I did when I got my LS 460 L was to change out the filters for K&N. They cost about $95 for the pair from AutoAnything.com. Don't forget, the LS has two air filters that are going to need changing. That's about what the OE filters cost and you'll need to change those out every 9-12 months. If you are keeping the car for a few years, they pay for themselves many times over.

I run my LS in both around town and highway situations. At 75 MPH, I get 26 MPG, or about 2 MPG over the EPA estimate ( !!! ) When was the last time you BEAT the EPA estimate? Driving a steady 65 MPH, I get 27-28 MPG and I attribute that 100% to the K&N filters.

Follow the instructions, keep the oil side on the 'dirty' air side and off the gasket and you'll have no problems.