When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017)
When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise >

When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise

Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise

Old 03-21-11, 11:41 AM
  #1  
Flapjack1
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise

Does anyone else hear clunk (technical term) noise when you are in reverse and press the brake pedal. It is coming from the front end/brake area. I did not see a service bulletin for this.
Gracias
Flapjack1 is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 12:06 PM
  #2  
edarte
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, BC -ex Illinois &Toronto, ON
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For what it is worth there is a TSB (L-BR005-06 brake clicking) that deals with a "clicking" of brakes in reverse. However I think this TSB only related to 2007 MY. I have noticed that Lexus often refers to "clicking" and "clunking" interchangeably even though I think they are very different sounds.

Go to this thread to view actual TSB
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-noise.html

Last edited by edarte; 03-21-11 at 12:10 PM.
edarte is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 08:47 AM
  #3  
Flapjack1
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by edarte View Post
For what it is worth there is a TSB (L-BR005-06 brake clicking) that deals with a "clicking" of brakes in reverse. However I think this TSB only related to 2007 MY. I have noticed that Lexus often refers to "clicking" and "clunking" interchangeably even though I think they are very different sounds.

Go to this thread to view actual TSB
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-noise.html
This is my issue exactly, but the 460L with sport pkg says to only "grease" the pads/rotors. I can't immagine that is a long term fix.
Flapjack1 is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 05:44 AM
  #4  
G2Lexus
Driver
 
G2Lexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My car has just spent 2 weeks in the shop with all sorts of clicks, pops and clunks. Seems that the dealer has finally conceded that the culprit is the brake actuator.

As I understand it, the brake actuator has undergone a redesign and it seems that it is being replaced in recall numbers without a formal recall. So much so that the part is on national back order for 60 to 90 days.
G2Lexus is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 07:17 AM
  #5  
Flapjack1
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by G2Lexus View Post
My car has just spent 2 weeks in the shop with all sorts of clicks, pops and clunks. Seems that the dealer has finally conceded that the culprit is the brake actuator.

As I understand it, the brake actuator has undergone a redesign and it seems that it is being replaced in recall numbers without a formal recall. So much so that the part is on national back order for 60 to 90 days.
Same here, brake actuator is the culprit after bringing it in 3 times for the same reason. it is on order but they said the back order is 6 month to a year and with the turmoil that Japan is in it probably won't be any sooner. Good thing is it is not safety related, just annoying. It is a $3800 part so I am glad CPO warranty is paying for it.
Flapjack1 is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 09:44 AM
  #6  
randomwalk
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 579
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I am still waiting for that brake actuator as well. My warranty is expiring this October. If the backorder is a year, whenever the backordered parts comes in, will it be covered under warranty (when my warranty expires already)?
randomwalk is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 12:47 PM
  #7  
memphisLS
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What you may be hearing is "brake pad shift" as described by my service foreman this morning. I had my ABS actuator replaced almost a month ago and the "clicking" noise from the front left caliper returned about three weeks earlier. They greased the rods that the calipers slide in and out as well as the pads themselves. Sounds much better now, but only time will tell if it's cured.
memphisLS is offline  
Old 11-12-12, 11:49 AM
  #8  
escapedcon
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by memphisLS View Post
What you may be hearing is "brake pad shift" as described by my service foreman this morning. I had my ABS actuator replaced almost a month ago and the "clicking" noise from the front left caliper returned about three weeks earlier. They greased the rods that the calipers slide in and out as well as the pads themselves. Sounds much better now, but only time will tell if it's cured.
have the same issue. did it come back with time? (I realize this is an old thread and you might not even have the car anymore, lol)

anyhow, I went to the dealer the other day and they said they cannot duplicate the noise...go figure. I'll probably insist next time around
escapedcon is offline  
Old 11-12-12, 12:23 PM
  #9  
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

This has been discussed on numerous occassions ..please click below and view top results

https://www.google.com/search?q=ls46...w=1843&bih=812
CJITTY is offline  
Old 11-12-12, 12:34 PM
  #10  
escapedcon
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CJITTY View Post
This has been discussed on numerous occassions ..please click below and view top results

https://www.google.com/search?q=ls46...w=1843&bih=812
so I should ask fot the actuator to be replaced first? it seems like that did not solve the issue for some members here. maybe try the anti-rattle clips first
escapedcon is offline  
Old 11-12-12, 12:39 PM
  #11  
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

well, within those google results and in my threads, I have stated what fixed my issue. making sure anti rattle clips were installed and they also installed this material that keeps the pads firm in the calipers
CJITTY is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When in reverse it sounds like my calipers are loose or front end noise


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: