LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

BUY BACK in TEXAS, Does anyone know the rules

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 12:22 PM
jamescheek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUY BACK in TEXAS, Does anyone know the rules

I recently purchased a 2010 LS460L with only 20k miles on it...... around 3 months ago.

The car has been in the shop for over 5 weeks since I have had it with only one issue..... The ABS Front Left indicator keeps coming on...... Lexus Tech support was called by the dealer ( keep in mind this is a reputable large LEXUS dealership in Dallas ), now the car has been returned for the 3rd time for the same problem...... now they are telling me the regional LEXUS engineer has to come inspect....at this point I would just like a refund...... this is crazy.

Does anyone know the rules in Texas on a buy back?

thank you
Old 11-26-12, 12:28 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

If you are going to DIY here is a good place to start: http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm
Old 11-26-12, 07:52 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this problem a while back with another car.

Bad "miss" at idle, but once warm drove smooth. The first time they told me a hose was loose on the air intake.

Second time, the car died while waiting for the gate to open to the exit to the subdivision.

The third time, it did it again, and they said that one of the cylinders was "dropping out". Went into the shop and was there for 6 weeks an never returned.

I called the manufacturers toll free number and opened a case. In Texas, if you don't do that, they'll ask you to go through BBB Autoline to open a case and go through arbitration. But you must allow them "reasonable attempts" to fix the problem.

My advice is, be patient, be nice, and document everything. As much as you want to drive up there and slap them with your pimp hand, please resist the urge. Be firm but nice., and write down all the times you called, and document your position and theirs, and what was discussed.

In the end, they replaced my car, less a small deduction for the miles that I drove.
Old 11-27-12, 12:19 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact a lemon law lawyer. They will require you to fax over paperwork to review. Once they accept your case, the process will smooth and fast. 5 weeks out of service is not looking good a brand new Lexus.

No fees out of your pocket. Toyota will pay for your lawyer fees (couple grand). Full refund on your purchase/lease minus some some miles when you bought to first problem arise.

Lemon lawyers doesn't have to be in your state, I Google and choose mine from Atlanta. Got my check 2 days after return and sign the title back to a local Lexus dealer. My lemon GS only out of service for 2 weeks.

If you go thought the process by yourself would consume your time and lot of hassle (dealing with BBB and tech from Lexus) and eventually if BBB rule out the favor to Lexus, you'll lose your case definitely.
Old 11-28-12, 06:13 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

The 3 LL lawyers I contacted told me that his goal was to "put cash in my pocket", and that manufacturers never buy cars back.

I refused to believe that. After 6 weeks of the buyback, the attorneys assistant called and asked if I still wanted to pursue. I told them I had the car bought back and he was like "oh, really?"

I'd say go through the process. I did, and it worked.