LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Broken rear strut on 2009 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 02:14 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I think new rotors come free with the brake pads - at least they do at my dealer (I have a guy...)
Only for the SWB 460, 600hL and 460L are exempt.
Old 03-25-13, 03:15 AM
ollieabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmitch
jallegrett,
I'm a presently having a suspension problem on my 2009 460LS AWD. When driving over small potholes, speed bumps, or bridge connection strips which causes shock compression, I have noticed a "thud" over the rear right tire. I have taken it to the dealership for an oil change recently and ask to have them look at it. They thought everything was fine. I have been driving the car for the last week with the same problem. Car handles well. Does not matter whether the height level is on or not or whether comfort or sport suspension is activated... still get the right rear "thud" driving over moderate bump. Plan to take the mechanic with me next week.
iI also have 2009 lexus ls460 and they are having serious problems with struts they replaced rears and service guy told me to complain about front noise and bring back in a couple of weeks when they replaced frontsat no charge since it was under warrantee. the cost to replace all 4 is apron ten thousand dollars!!!!!!!!!!! this is my last lexus since struts wear out. the older lexus pre 2007 had a different suspension system and they were indestructable . look at the hyundai equuis great car without the lexus price. the cost to replace all the air structs is $4000.00 big difference for the same ride!!
Old 03-27-13, 12:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ollieabs
iI also have 2009 lexus ls460 and they are having serious problems with struts they replaced rears and service guy told me to complain about front noise and bring back in a couple of weeks when they replaced frontsat no charge since it was under warrantee. the cost to replace all 4 is apron ten thousand dollars!!!!!!!!!!! this is my last lexus since struts wear out. the older lexus pre 2007 had a different suspension system and they were indestructable . look at the hyundai equuis great car without the lexus price. the cost to replace all the air structs is $4000.00 big difference for the same ride!!
set of coilovers is only 1250 . I see your point. I guess I have been lucky so far with my 07. Thankfully I have the warranty
Old 03-27-13, 03:15 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda get tired of hearing about people complain about so much. If you want to drive a Hyundai, please do. That is all.
Old 03-28-13, 11:04 AM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at the hyundai equuis great car without the lexus price. the cost to replace all the air structs is $4000.00 big difference for the same ride!!
ollieabs: I'm curious if the $4000 is parts only or parts and labor combined. Is your info reliable? May I ask how did you get that info? Not to challenge you on this as I'm considering getting a 2014 Equus later this year. If it only costs $4000 to replace all 4 air struts, that's a big plus. Air is standard on Equus so you can't avoid it.
Old 04-21-13, 06:01 PM
rk4g63
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty repair

Shouldnt all air suspension be covered under factory warranty anyway? Regardless of CPO or original warranty, since the CPO is exclusionary.

Last edited by rk4g63; 04-21-13 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 05:36 AM
ollieabs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
I kinda get tired of hearing about people complain about so much. If you want to drive a Hyundai, please do. That is all.
2007 was the last year for the air bag suspension, the last year for the best year lexus this was stated by a mechanic who works at lexus,the new style air struts are a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-13, 05:41 AM
ollieabs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vasy
ollieabs: I'm curious if the $4000 is parts only or parts and labor combined. Is your info reliable? May I ask how did you get that info? Not to challenge you on this as I'm considering getting a 2014 Equus later this year. If it only costs $4000 to replace all 4 air struts, that's a big plus. Air is standard on Equus so you can't avoid it.
The info was from the service dept at the equuis dealer. check it out with them. remember a better mouse trap will always be built!!!! lexus thinks that they are the only game in town . I used to buy cadillacs and look what happened to them!!!!
Old 12-19-16, 01:28 PM
Abood919
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear strut noise.

Originally Posted by dcmitch
jallegrett,
I'm a presently having a suspension problem on my 2009 460LS AWD. When driving over small potholes, speed bumps, or bridge connection strips which causes shock compression, I have noticed a "thud" over the rear right tire. I have taken it to the dealership for an oil change recently and ask to have them look at it. They thought everything was fine. I have been driving the car for the last week with the same problem. Car handles well. Does not matter whether the height level is on or not or whether comfort or sport suspension is activated... still get the right rear "thud" driving over moderate bump. Plan to take the mechanic with me next week.
How are you doing sir,
I'm an owner of 07 LS 460 and It's really shocked me that you have exactly the problem that I have in my Car, also it for the same side.

I already knew it that I have a problem with the strut Mount but to be honest I'' not a 100% sure that if I replace it, the problem will be solved.

I already took it out of the car and It looked good, And I believe that there is no way to test it.

anyway, I just want to get some of your experience with solving this problem if you don't mind.

Did the car got fixed after replacing the part or what or what exactly happened?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-16, 05:10 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This thread is 5 years old......You may not hear back from them..They last logged in on June 2011.
Old 01-12-17, 08:36 PM
dcmitch
Driver School Candidate

Abood919
Sorry for the very late reply.
In your response to my suspension problem on my Lexus 2099 LS 460 that occurred 4 years ago; the problem was the air shocks. I initially replaced the left air shock in 2013. The ride was good again. Then, beginning of 2016 the suspension started to have similar problems. The car would bottom out while driving over the expansion strips of bridges, speed bumps or just driving over a bump in the road. You would feel a thud in the rear. Since I could only replace the left air shock initially because the dealership said that was the only bad one. With the car out of warranty and because I still wanted the variable suspension adjustments. I replaced both rear air shocks and the actuators. Purchased the parts from Lexus of South Atlanta. $997 per shock and $177 for the 2- actuators. I had them install by a non Lexus mechanic. The car drives beautifully now.

It is my impression that the initial pneumatic shocks/struts were poorly engineered. The seals on the shock gradually failed with a gradually worsening ride. The new shocks (with a different item number) is constructed differently. The reason I like the LS 460 series is the adjustable ride. While many have had problem with these air shock opting for a standard strut replacement, I'm happy I still have my air shocks.
Old 01-14-17, 03:25 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If only. The folks with air suspension equipped 430's have to deal with strut replacement as well and is a major concern for many if not all owners of 430's so equipped. True that they do not have to deal with the LCA issue, but give Lexus points for switching to a multilink front suspension which in theory is truly a advance. Moreover, while it took a few years in the production cycle, but the last few years seem to have that problem licked.