LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

how to adjust headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 05:52 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how to adjust headlight

The headlight in my LS460 is aiming a little low so I want to raise it up (low beam). The manual said to turn the screws (A and B) with a phillip head screw driver for one side. I turned on the headlight, mark a spot on the wall where it shines as reference and started turning...it seemed like there is no effect. any idea how to adjust these headlight UP?
The manual never said anything about the other side. What about the other side? Are there the same set of screws to turn as well? thanks.
Old 02-07-11, 06:02 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Is your car under warranty? Why dont you have the dealer take a look at it? Was the car in a wreck causing the lamp to be out of alignment?
Old 02-07-11, 06:08 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

If it's easy then I'll do it instead of driving to and sitting a couple of hours waiting. So you know how?
Old 02-07-11, 06:21 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

No, never had a need to. Having said that, I dont think it is that easy especially when the LS has auto leveler headlamps.
Old 02-08-11, 12:40 AM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is new but the low beams seem a bit too low to me and there's a sharp cutoff at the upper edge of the light. Does a nice job shielding other cars from the headlight glare but it seems to limit my visibility. Maybe I'm just not used to how these headlights work.

After doing some searching, it seems to be a common problem. People complain about not being able to see street signs and objects. I find I have to keep the brights on in auto mode just to be able to see as well as with ordinary lights. Seems a shame that projector HID lights are so limiting. Yes, you can raise the lights up or have the dealer aim them up a bit but that could blind other cars.

I don't like the sharp cutoff at the top of the illumination. I wish there could be some diffused light above that line.
Old 02-08-11, 04:05 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

That's my exact problem. Need to raise the low beam up cuz I end up driving with my high beam on.
Old 02-08-11, 10:40 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mentioned this same issue to my dealer and they said there is only so much wiggle room there to adjust the low beams up.

Keep in mind also that the LS is equipped with a front height sensor that tells the cut-off plates inside the low beam assembly to adjust automatically, as you have more weight at the back of the car like passengers, luggage, full tank, etc... these plates will go down or up in there, keeping the light always at the same level.

If this sensor goes bad, the cut off plates go all the way down and the low beams will go only 3 feet far. I'm sure this is not your problem, but this sensor does indeed control the cut off plates for the low beams - if the readings are just millivolts off, that's enough for the step motors to move the plates down a hair, making the low beams a little too low.
Old 02-08-11, 07:17 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Anyone. ???
Old 02-09-11, 12:34 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

there is another post about this already, may want to search for it. But the adjustment screw closest to the front of the car will move it up and down, i did it on mine to even my cutoff line
Old 02-09-11, 12:37 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
there is another post about this already, may want to search for it. But the adjustment screw closest to the front of the car will move it up and down, i did it on mine to even my cutoff line
read it already. still didn't answer my question fully though. The passenger side is fine but the driver side, the same adjustment screw has a "cap like" thing over it..do we just pry it off to adjust?
Old 02-09-11, 07:40 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by randomwalk
read it already. still didn't answer my question fully though. The passenger side is fine but the driver side, the same adjustment screw has a "cap like" thing over it..do we just pry it off to adjust?
i didn't have a cap, just used a flash light to look down and you can see the silver gears..the philips screwdriver goes down in there and turns the teeth of the adjustment gears..it isn't like a + looking screw to turn..got up in there and you'll see it
Old 02-10-11, 08:27 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
The one you saw that has a cap over it is for the high beam. The low beam is another screw deep in there somewhere that I couldn't find either. If anyone can post a picture of this that would be great as I would like to move my driver's side low beam up too.
Old 02-11-11, 07:36 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

LexoFreak: According to CJITTY, the one on the driver side (mine car) that is closest to the front is the one that HAS a cap. The same adjustment screw on the DRIVER side does NOT have the cap. I think I can pull the cap off but I'm not sure if I should since it's on there for a reason. I wonder why the other side doesn't have one. Anyhow, I *think* when you adjust, it will either adjust both high and low beam. There is no separate adjustment for high and low..they go together I think. The one in the side of the car is for horizontal adjustment and the one I mentioned above (and CJITTY) is probably for vertical adjustment...Can you look to see if yours has a cap too? It's the adjustment screw toward the very front of the car. Check both sides.
Old 04-17-12, 08:14 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i didn't have a cap, just used a flash light to look down and you can see the silver gears..the philips screwdriver goes down in there and turns the teeth of the adjustment gears..it isn't like a + looking screw to turn..got up in there and you'll see it
Can someone help me, I cannot seem to locate the adjusting screw. Do I remove the black cap (pointed with the red circle). I am trying to move the headlights up, right now its pointed down too low

Thanks,
Ly
Attached Thumbnails how to adjust headlight-ls460.jpg  
Old 04-17-12, 10:04 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Can someone help me, I cannot seem to locate the adjusting screw. Do I remove the black cap (pointed with the red circle). I am trying to move the headlights up, right now its pointed down too low

Thanks,
Ly
Yes, exactly..actually that rubber/plastic-ish cap moves and exposes what looks like a "gear". You put a phillips screwdriver head and turn which moves the gear..you have to pay close attention because each turn makes a difference. Get your car on a dark color wall and turn it a little to see which direction is up or down and then remember that. Now, the issue is you have to turn the 2nd gear the same way, it is in the far back corner and I recall it being a PITA to adjust..I think there are two screws for adjustment because of the AFS

Quick Reply: how to adjust headlight