LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window Tint...Problematic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 05:08 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Window Tint...Problematic?

I called a well known tint shop in NorCal and they say they no longer do tint for a LS460 because it is too problematic. WTH? Those with tint, did the shop have a hard time installing?
Old 02-04-11, 05:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it can be harder to install because the bottom part cloes to the mirror. a good shop will likely have to pop the door panel in order to be able to fully squeeze / tighten up the tint in that area. my shop did

other than that i don't think there should be other problems
Old 02-04-11, 05:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

A couple of years ago, at the peak of the LS460 wind noise debacle, there was some discussion in one of the Window Tinters Trade Group Forums that the tinting on LS460s caused the wind noise problem because it kept the glass from sealing against the rubber window gasket. Of course that was a myth but that may be the genesis of the reluctance to tint LS460 windows. At that time there were lots of rumors around and employees of Lexus dealers were saying lots of wild things to deflect the criticism of their product.
Old 02-04-11, 07:04 PM
Grisik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine tinted all around. The tint shop said it was more difficult than most but they got it done and it looks great.
Old 02-04-11, 07:10 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had no problems getting the five window tint on the LS. Have had four cars tinted at the same shop with zero defects.
Old 02-06-11, 01:19 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many late model cars have hard to reach glass areas due to the interior door/window design. An experienced tint shop can tint it without removing the door panel. I've just got the LS tinted & also Panamera & Cayenne previously. It's not easy but they can get it right within a couple of attempts and IMO better than removing the panel.
Old 05-02-11, 03:13 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

a lot of shops out there just dont want the headache of tinting the new LS. its actually easier than the previous body style.

they are pretty straight forward unless you have the model with shades, or the model with laminated glass. they are a lot more difficult to do and most shops would rather not try to tackle it.

if you have one that you want done, bring the car to show them and tell them youve heard its hard. make sure they have done one in the exact model you have. replacing glass or the door panel on the vehicle wouldnt be cheap if they had any issues
Old 05-02-11, 03:59 PM
wrc7732
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
it can be harder to install because the bottom part cloes to the mirror. a good shop will likely have to pop the door panel in order to be able to fully squeeze / tighten up the tint in that area. my shop did

Originally Posted by jmcraney
A couple of years ago, at the peak of the LS460 wind noise debacle, there was some discussion in one of the Window Tinters Trade Group Forums that the tinting on LS460s caused the wind noise problem because it kept the glass from sealing against the rubber window gasket. Of course that was a myth but that may be the genesis of the reluctance to tint LS460 windows. At that time there were lots of rumors around and employees of Lexus dealers were saying lots of wild things to deflect the criticism of their product.

I recently had mine tinted and it looks great. They did however remove the door panels and then did not reinstall them correctly. Leaving me with the obnoxious windnoise yet again, after it spent 2 weeks in the shop getting rid of it. Took it to the dealer for an unrelated issue with my drivers seat and they popped the panels off and reinstalled correctly in about 15 minutes. Problem solved. I was very surprised to find that the shop had removed the door panels for tinting.
Old 05-03-11, 10:00 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

my tint guy is a mobile tinter..came right to the house and tinted the car in the garage. That front door corner is a beast. To properly tint that area, the door panel should come off, but he doesn't like doing that and I don't blame him. So, he left a very small gap that you cannot see unless you open the door to make sure it doesn't bunch up in that corner..other than that, the other issue he had was the rear window because of the headrests..i can't figure out how to remove them..but, the tint job looks just fine though..it took him longer but its all good. So i would agree, this is NOT an easy car to put tint on compared to my other cars i have done.
Old 05-03-11, 03:03 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

So I did end up getting the car tinted...Green tint by the way. The guy told me that he doesn't need to remove the door panel...so I said fine. They had three guys doing the car cause it was more than they thought. They ended up asking for permission to take the door panel off. I watch whole process to make sure everything was installed back correctly.The tint turned out great.
Old 05-05-11, 03:36 AM
madlad
Driver

I had mine tinted several months ago at FormulaOne, a national outfit. A 4 hour job with no indications of a problem in applying ceramic tint. I have screens in the rear, experience no radio reception problems and the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. Cost about $360 but well worth it IMO.
Old 05-05-11, 07:08 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got Formula One applied last summer and same here, its excellent material just need a very good installer to put it in. My guy has over 20 years of experience and put in all 7 pieces, including removing all for door panels in just about an hour. Its perfect almost a year later. Cost was about 300 also as I recall.
Old 03-31-14, 02:15 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

does the door panel need to be removed (disconnected power cables) or just pop open the top while cables connected for the tint guy to reach in?

is it safe to disconnect all the cables for the door panel to come off?
Reading a tinting website, an installer said leave the cables connected but without explanation.
Old 03-31-14, 02:31 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

I think either way is fine. If there are two people working, one can hold the door panel with all cable intact while the other person work on the tint. Chances are, that won't happen cause it's not efficient.
Old 03-31-14, 03:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah either way is fine. in my car they didn't have to disconnect everything, just popped it open and let it sit there with protection

Quick Reply: Window Tint...Problematic?