LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

rear seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 06:10 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default rear seat removal

Anyone knows how to remove the rear seat on the LS460? I need to take it out to have access to the strut tower..need to make sure it's not ripped out/loose bolts or what nots..still trying to locate the source of that clunk when braking..still...

thanks.
Old 01-12-11, 06:40 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would think just about any "good" stereo install place would know how to get the rear seat out. It couldn't hurt to ask to see if they'd help a brotha out.
Old 01-12-11, 06:50 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bottom cushion, just pulls straight up, from the front edges, there are 3 notches that metal clips snap into, be careful to unplug the rear seat heaters which are on the outside of the seat and the back is similar just vertical not horizontal.
Old 01-12-11, 07:38 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmasten
The bottom cushion, just pulls straight up, from the front edges, there are 3 notches that metal clips snap into, be careful to unplug the rear seat heaters which are on the outside of the seat and the back is similar just vertical not horizontal.
Thanks cmasten. So there are no bolts of any sort to hold it in? btw, are you a master tech or something? just curious. THanks.
Old 01-12-11, 01:58 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

No master tech, just an owner with shop manuals and likes to DIY.

On the bottom cushion there are no bolts just a clip on the seat that fits into a plastic connector in the middle of each back seat and one right in the middle of the whole seat. I start with the middle clip and them just lift the left and right side from the middle of the cushion and it all comes straight out, just don't forget the seat heater connectors, they are short and on the back corner edge. The back I didn't take off, but i can certainly look at the service manuals and see if there is a bolt, as i recall they just clip in also, but the bolts would be obvious. If you run into trouble let me know and ill send you the page on how to remove it.
Old 01-12-11, 02:34 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that works with the standard seat but not with the reclining seats...
i tried...
Old 01-12-11, 03:20 PM
GREENDAY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this will help
best wishes
Attached Thumbnails rear seat removal-460.jpg  
Old 01-12-11, 03:26 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENDAY
I hope this will help
best wishes
are your seats the motorized/reclining type???
Old 01-12-11, 04:35 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Oh man. I thought taking the seat out I can access the strut tower. Where/how do I get to the struts?
Old 01-12-11, 04:53 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

When you say strut tower do you mean the actual shock absorber?
You can pull out the wheel liner from inside the wheel well and your can get access to the top of that area by pulling out the liner in the trunk, there is also a fuse box back there on the drivers side in the left wheel well
Old 01-12-11, 04:57 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Yes the top of shock absorber (Strut). Need to see if bolts are tight etc. Cuz my stupid car makes clunking sound when braking.
Old 01-12-11, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am wondering where to go to get to the strut towers. With my other cars they needed to go through the trunk. From the picture shown I would assume that you would have to get to them from the trunk or you may have to remove the back portion of the rear seats and them access it from trunk/back seat area. Good luck bro. I was thinking about the Megan coilovers for my LS for a while but decided to remain at stock height for now. Post some pics when you are done. Maybe you will entice me into just pulling the trigger.
Old 01-12-11, 06:59 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

just looked at Vol 2 of the service manuals. the top of the shock is behind the back seats where it meets the rear lid. That gets you to the 3 nuts on top to tighten it. To get to the rest of the shock you have to remove the wheel and pull the wheel liner out along with a bunch of sensors etc... looks labor intensive. Getting to the top of the shock would be about 10 min tops. The back seats appear to just clip in for both the top and bottom, but I would have to dig deeper and cross reference, as these manuals are full of information... but they try and cover all models so you have to make sure your looking at the right section.

I have posted all of the pages for this up here, http://img413.imageshack.us/g/lex460...ckaccess1.jpg/

quality should be good enough the garage lights were florescent.

Last edited by cmasten; 01-12-11 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 04:58 PM
DuC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ can u take more pictures of the other pages on how to remove the seat?
thanks
Old 03-14-11, 07:47 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

what part are you trying to get out? they just snap out

Quick Reply: rear seat removal