LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Road noise from windows. At the dealer

Old 01-03-11, 08:54 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road noise from windows. At the dealer

Well. Took the 460 in this morning for oil change and to fix the road noise coming from the front windows. I was hoping they would replace the front windows with double panes but the dealer called this evening and stated they would have the car ready late tomorrow or early Wednesday morning. The service tech said it took a couple of days to fix the seal around the window Very interesting. He said......we will get it quite!!!!!

Once I get it back I will post how they fixed it. If not, it will go right back with the TSB in my hand.
Old 01-04-11, 08:05 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Can you tell us a little more about your car?

It seems to be a 2007 LS460, is that correct?

Is the car "new" to you or did you buy it new?

Is the "road noise coming from the front windows" a sudden-onset problem or was it that way when you got the car?

Most of the 2007 have already had the Lamisafe glass retrofit and the dealers seem to leap at the chance to do that to any remaining unfixed cars. Have you checked to see if yours has already had the window replacement? It would be interesting to know if Lexus no longer wants to replace the windows.
Old 01-04-11, 08:30 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

I bought the car about two months ago CPO. It is a 07. It still has the original windows.....already checked. The noise is two fold. In a cross wind on he interstate I think the triangle trim piece allows wind to come in. On normal driving around town, it's like my window is cracked. My goal was to get the upgraded windows. The dealer called today and said they need another day to work on my window noise. So..it will be three full days to get it back with no mention of replacing the windows today....just that it takes a a long time to fix the seal. I will post when I get the final work order.
Old 01-05-11, 05:11 AM
jmcraney

The problem you are describing is very common in the LS460s and LS600s. It has been discussed at this site extensively.

If you don't get it resolved at the dealership then you should look into the DIY fix here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 01-05-11, 06:29 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

I plan to do the DYI fix but wanted to attempt to get the updated windows first. I can't wait to here what they did at the dealer. I pick it up tomorrow. I also had the nav maps updated. I called late this afternoon to be sure they updated the grace note database and of course they had not......so they need to pull it back in the shop to do that. It's amazing that they would not automatically do that when someone has it in there for map updates considering at grace notes was dated '06.
Old 01-06-11, 11:12 AM
dtrose
Driver School Candidate

What happens if the dealership wants to replace the windows but yoru windows are tinted? Who pays for the retint?
Old 01-06-11, 01:31 PM
musabbari
Driver School Candidate

keep us updated
Old 01-06-11, 01:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

What happens if the dealership wants to replace the windows but yoru windows are tinted? Who pays for the retint?

Of course a particular state law may protect you, but generally the dealer would not be responsible for replacing the tint as it is an aftermarket add-on. Thus, it would depend on their largesse or your bargaining skills!
Old 01-06-11, 05:57 PM
Grisik
Rookie

I'm getting mine replaced next week and my windows are tinted. They said they would pay to have the windows redone.
Old 01-06-11, 06:57 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

Well..... I have new windows.....with NO tint. I had the tint done at the dealer one week after I bought the car. Paid a lot of money to have them done as I went with 3M Crystalline. What I don't get is they did not even bother to call me to ask if I wanted them tinted. Nope.....I find out when I get there that they replaced the windows. They told me that the "fix" did not cover aftermarket tint and I would have to pay for it. I told them that I had it done at the dealer and they could at least have called me and asked. Now I have to take it back. Now.....this is the best part......they charged me 220 for my nav upgrade. 199 for the part and about 20 for labor. Once I seen the bill, I did say that I would cover a little of the window tint cost. The service rep is going to call me in the morning to let me know if they will cover the tint. They replaced the foam around the triangle piece. Have not got it out on the highway yet but I can tell a difference when I am next to another car. I will say this, even with the wind noise I think we forget how quite our cars really are. After driving a RX350 for 4 days.......there is NO comparison to an LS.
Old 01-14-11, 09:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice to hear that it did do something to reduce some of the noise. I remember when I had my GS I used to be blown away I could be driving next to an 18 wheeler and barely hear it. The LS allows more noise through. I am hoping that they will be able to help with that and maybe reduce the noise from the window edge. I am having them do the b pillar, aux jack noise tsib, seat comfort tsib and wind noise. The dealership will stand to make close to 10k from my car in one single visit. I am also having them redo my clear bra so the car will be there for at least 3-4 days.
Old 01-15-11, 04:13 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I remember when I had my GS I used to be blown away I could be driving next to an 18 wheeler and barely hear it. The LS allows more noise through.
This is a symptom of the triangle trim defect.