LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trading LS460 for.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 12:02 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trading LS460 for.....

Wow, it has been years since my last post here... How are you guys doing?

So... I am thinking about maybe selling my 2007 LS460 that I purchased brand new and now has 28K miles and it is in perfect condition. I have been thinking about the new Jaguar XJ which I had the opportunity to take a closer look not too long ago and it is indeed a very classy and well put together car.

Anyone here has anything to say about this car when it comes to reliability, or is it just too new nobody knows yet? Also, how much my LS is worth? It has everything.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-10, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Be careful with Jag reliability. As far as the value of the 07 LS460, I just bought one with 32k miles on it for around 38-39k. The car was uncertified though but I got it for a steal and its still under warranty. I would say they will try to give you 35-36 for your car and then they will turn around and sell it for 42-45k. It sucks but this is why people dont like car salesmen or dealerships. I am planning to finally pull the trigger on an SUV for the wife this weekend. I am happy to hear that the car dealers are hurting because I want a deal and a half on this next vehicle
Old 12-07-10, 02:54 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i love the xj as well but car just came out so nobody knows reliable they are,,i will never buy first year car tho,,
Old 12-07-10, 05:53 PM
topgun04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks but this is why people dont like car salesmen or dealerships

Why? dealer need to make money too and they are not in the business of doing charity work and sell cars for free.. if the deal is so good, why won't someone just sell their own car? I just sold my 05 Mercedes CLK 55 with 32K mi to the dealer for 19.5K and they are going to market it at 23 to 24.. The issue though is that they have to pay for the salesman (are they supposed to work for free so it does not suck as bad?), the floor space, the finance cost, the support staff (the gal who do finance, the attendant who wash the car.. etc.), and the monthly depreciation value if they cannot sell the car in a month or 2. None of them are free. I am guessing that it will take them 2 to 3 months before selling the CLK at 21 to 22.. And they may clear 1k to 1.5k after they factor in all the cost.. I don't have to worry about showing the cars and keep posting it in craigslist.. I had an 04 Honda accord that I sold myself earlier in the year. I sold it in a day with 7 more appointments that I had to cancel.. it all depends on the cars you try to sell and your guess as to how much it will sell for and how long does it take.. Don't hate the car salesman or dealership. They are there to make money.. If you can DIY then by all mean, market it yourselves..
Old 12-07-10, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you might be stretching the value of the overhead but I see your point.
Old 12-07-10, 06:33 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Lets talk jags. I have had four jags, two xk8s and two xj8s. The reliability has come a long way from the years past. The last xj8 that I owned was a 2004. I never had any trouble whatsoever in all the years that I owned it. The new xj8s are beautiful and plush. Although it is the first year made, I would not have a problem buying a new one. The warranty does cover anything that would go wrong.

jarm
Old 12-07-10, 07:53 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

If I sell my LS460 it will be in the private market, I'm not trading it in. Now, as for the Jag it's always good to hear what owners have to say, so thanks jarm. Their warranty is for 50k miles. As of now my LS460 has a 100k warranty after the valve spring replacements under recall, so it's always this eternal question to switch or not. The new Jag is stunning in my opinion, but my current car is absolutely worry free. Decisions, decisions...
Old 12-07-10, 09:03 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being that this is an LS forum, I would say keep the LS. It's one of the best flagship sedans in the world. Besides, Jaguar is now owned by Tata, which makes one of the cheapest cars in the world. So if people say Lexus is just a glorified Toyota, then a Jag is...... Just kidding.
Old 12-07-10, 09:17 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
If I sell my LS460 it will be in the private market, I'm not trading it in. Now, as for the Jag it's always good to hear what owners have to say, so thanks jarm. Their warranty is for 50k miles. As of now my LS460 has a 100k warranty after the valve spring replacements under recall, so it's always this eternal question to switch or not. The new Jag is stunning in my opinion, but my current car is absolutely worry free. Decisions, decisions...
Personally, I wouldnt switch. My friends 1988 jaguar xjs is sitting around right now because it wont start up. He has been constantly fixing it up for a variety of issues. Car has less than 90,000 miles i believe. I know that its 20 years old but on the flip-side my 1993 LS400 at 200k is running flawlessly. They probably make more reliable vehicles nowadays but i'm not willing to risk "trying" it.

If you care about the reliability factor i would stick with Lexus. According to the 2010 JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study the reliability and quality of Jaguars is below industry average:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-.../full/#2811040

In terms of the Jaguar XJ not the supercharged version the 0-60 mph is the same as on your LS460 according to both manufacturers websites which stands at 5.4 seconds. If you are seeking a performance gain you will not get one with a Jaguar XJ unless you go for the supercharged version which will bring the 0-60 time to 4.9 seconds. I dont believe the Jaguar XJ will be more comfortable than a LS460 and in terms of reliability Lexus definitely wins in that department.

I'm not seeing any advantages that the Jaguar XJ has over a LS460. In my opinion you would be downgrading tremendously from your LS460 by switching to a Jaguar XJ .

However its your money. Get whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by elite7; 12-07-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 09:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

My wife's Jag will be 10 years old this coming March. It has been absolutely flawless. Not a single thing has gone wrong with it. I've done nothing but normal maintenance, and there has not been a single recall, unlike the 3 for my '07 LS.

That being said, I frequent a couple Jag boards and the scuttlebutt there is they are having some problems with this first year edition. I actually looked at the new XJ, but I wouldn't consider it until at least the 2012 model year.
Old 12-07-10, 11:18 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say if YOU want it buy it. This is a pro Lexus forum. Don't expect to many to praise the Jaguar XJ or the XK or any other luxury brand at all(Benz/Audi/BMW/Cadillac)! If YOU like the XJ go to Jag forums and ask for pros and cons. Focus on what they say about ownership and browse the sections were they speak of issues with the car. Eventually you'll get honest humans who will spill the beans good or bad regarding Jag.

This here were you are is Lexus country so most opinions though most won't admit will be biased. Myself, I have a friend who was looking at the XJ and he owns a Benz. I told him to get it. It looks great and ALL JAG's won'y break down. Its like saying ALL Toyotas and Lexus are reliable. Its based on percentages, not actually on every car. Try what you like fellow member, its your dime. LGNM

Last edited by usermel; 12-07-10 at 11:19 PM. Reason: many
Old 12-08-10, 04:15 AM
topgun04
Driver

Anyone here has anything to say about this car when it comes to reliability, or is it just too new nobody knows yet?

I am in the same boat that I want to trade in my 08 LS460 for something else. My LS has the brake noise issue that two dealership in our area has formed a tag team but no solution to the problem. I love the new XJ in term of the design and the spec. Never test drive it and never will. My problem has to do with the resale value of anything Jaguar and the dealership network. Unless and until Jaguar put together a good lease program (low money factor and high residual), it is very difficult to buy the new XJ knowing that the depreciation will make the car so expensive that there are better car out there for the same cost. I live in N. California. And the dealership network is not very good. The closet one for us is about 20 minutes or so.. And the next dealership is about 45 minute+ away.. And if we ever move to a different state, I am not even sure if they have a Jaguar delearship within normal driving distance.. Right now the only car in my short list is M56.. Nothing else seem interesting.
Old 12-08-10, 08:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I checked out one a couple weeks ago (not looking to buy, just absolutely fell in love with it once I saw it on the road). This car really does it for me. Interior is to die for and it has that old school luxury feel (tons of leather, wood, and chrome) with new school modern technology.

Looking at some reliability surveys, they have improved greatly (J.D. Power rankings) even surpassing Lexus in some of them. I also browsed one of the forums the day I checked out the car and it seems like a major issue with the new XJ was the headunit software that was corrected with an update not to long ago. I havent seen any other widespread issues though. Others I have seen (rattles, sunroof popping etc) seem like 1st year build issues.

Despite quality improvements over the past couple of years and a maintenance free warranty, personally Id still wait and get a second year vehicle. But it looks so good, I would understand why you may become impulsive and just buy it.
Old 12-08-10, 05:32 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm not making an impulse buy for sure. Maybe it is a good idea to wait and see how the market reacts to this XJ. Keeping the LS is a no brainer when it comes to reliability and dealer service, but I just get bored with cars after 3 years or so. I will check out some jag forums and see what's what.
Old 12-08-10, 08:03 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is as disappointing as the XF and XK, then don't buy it. They are both poorly made, not competitive against the industry leaders in any category except for looks, incredibly unreliable and repair prone (XF really bad so far), and they retain HORRIBLE resale value. There may be a fair share of anecdotal reliability tales on here, however the real data is starting to come in from CR. But, in the end it doesn't matter how reliable they are because the build quality is poor, the electronics outdated, and the resale value is terrible. I don't expect the apple to fall far from the XF tree with the new XJ. I would be shocked if it was a highly competitive, fully updated, top notch reliable ride. The chances of that happening with the first model year are just about none.

Quick Reply: Trading LS460 for.....