ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Headlight Adjustment LS460, need input please (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/531909-headlight-adjustment-ls460-need-input-please.html)

CJITTY 10-20-10 05:34 PM

Headlight Adjustment LS460, need input please

Hey everyone,

I know there are two adjustment gears on each headlamp. My pass headlight was a bit higher than the driver.

The low beams beams are dead on now after doing the vertical adjustment (the adjustment gear further down), but when I went to adjust the horizontal, the only thing I noticed was the high beam shifting left to right slightly. I did not notice the cutoff line shifting at all on the low beams with that adjustment. You can also see the high beam projector slightly moving inside the lens, but not the low beam projector AFS lens assembly.

My question is, does the horizontal adjustment (front gear toward the top) only control the high beam left to right or does it adjust the AFS movement, or both? I pretty much left that part alone since i wasn't sure what it was actually doing.

The high beams pattern that looks something like this \_/ \_/ seems even and the "V's" have the same equal spacing

Side note, before doing this adjustment, I noticed that my left headlight AFS movement is very obvious when turning left, but when I turn right, the AFS movement from the pass side lens does not seem to do the same range of motion. I know that each headlight turns so many degrees, but I would think the left turns more with a left turn and the right turns more with a right turn essentially.

Thanks in advance for your input, sorry for the long post

rominl 10-20-10 05:58 PM

i don't know much details on the horizontal adjustment

but in terms of vertical, the driver side is supposed to be a bit lower than passenger side to avoid glare issue on oncoming traffic

CJITTY 10-20-10 06:16 PM

ok, thanks!! thats what I was thinking. that explains why the beams hit at same time when bending down to look below cutoff, yet the line on the wall shows the right side of the cutoff line is a little higher. So at least that part is good to go.

Now i just gotta figure out that other adjustment

PSLiNK 10-21-10 05:02 AM

interested in knowing this too. did you manage to adjust the vertical (height) of your high beams? one of my high beams is lower than the other...

CJITTY 10-21-10 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by PSLiNK (Post 5878681)
interested in knowing this too. did you manage to adjust the vertical (height) of your high beams? one of my high beams is lower than the other...

I'm pretty sure that low/high beam are adjusted vertically at the same time. I believe most cars where highs/lows in the same housing are setup like this.

PSLiNK 10-23-10 05:57 AM

thats weird because, my low beams are perfectly aligned but my highbeams are off.

CJITTY 10-23-10 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by PSLiNK (Post 5883724)
thats weird because, my low beams are perfectly aligned but my highbeams are off.

that is strange. so if you back your car out on a level surface and sort of bend down looking at the beams, the cutoffs hit you at the same time? if your cutoff is even, then i wonder what is up with your high beams. Is there a chance your one of your high beam bulbs are not seated just right in the housing? I am trying to still figure out exactly what the two adjustment screws do..I wonder if anyone has some sort of tech manual that explains how to properly aim LS460 lights?

randomwalk 01-28-11 07:30 AM

Hi Cjitty,

When you make adjustment with the headlight, which direction you turn the screw moves the headlight up (low beam). I need to move both of my low beam headlight up as it is too low right now. Also, this is the screw makes the verticle adjustment (there are two screws to adjust the headlight according to the manual). Thanks.

randomwalk 02-09-11 12:39 PM

okay..foudn that thread..offer NO info. though.

I8ABMR 02-09-11 02:03 PM

Guys what are the dealerships for?? Let them sweat the details. I wouldn't even waste my time trying. Thats why I personally purchased another Lexus. Its not the handling ( GHod knows), its not the looks, its not the performance........Its for the amazing customer service. Indulge in it a little and don't bother yourself imho

BadgerLS 01-09-23 07:34 AM

I am new but in my search of the interwebs I came across this forum (now joined) as I too had a low pointing passenger side light. I have been able to adjust and I do get the low beam dance on start up (more noticeable on drivers side) but now the high beam is WAY up in the sky... I may play with it a bit more but I would rather have the low beams be more functional as they provide 80%+ of the light. Here are two pictures in case folks are having similar issue.

+3 LONG Philips works well as does a garage door for some initial testing...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...785fd27efd.jpg

Wlmitty 02-11-23 06:09 PM

There is an adjusting screw that is in an angled groove in the assembly. It darn near vertical and past the cap you remove for light replacement and inwards a little. You can actually see all the way down from overhead and see the screw when you find it.. Long Phillips is needed but if you already did the high beams then you already have it.
Turn counter clockwise to lower. Keep in mind the low beams adjust much quicker than the high beams. Mine was almost exactly as yours but it was the drivers side. Try about 4 full turns and see what that does. .After you get the right height be sure to turn the screw just slightly clockwise. I think it keeps the light from further dropping as you drive and hit bumps.