Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Old 03-08-19, 09:50 AM
DanDover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My amplifier is an 86280-0W280. I decided to go with UR. The repair cost was $725 as quoted, including shipping both ways. Their communication was good and the service fast, just over a week including shipping time. They did call me to confirm it tested as malfunctioning before proceeding with the repair. I have not yet installed it back in the car as I'm away from home at the moment.If there are any problems I have no doubt they will honor the warranty.
Old 03-08-19, 09:57 AM
RandyV
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV View Post
OK, 3 weeks after having the amp repaired the exact same failure occurred.

Sending it back for repair under warranty. Have communicated with the shop.

\
After sending the repaired amp back to Factory Radio Service in LA they ended up sending me a completely new amp. No problems since then.

Highly recommend their service.
Old 05-01-19, 10:01 AM
fwhomeboy
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl View Post
I repaired the ML amp in my 430, so i took a look at the one in my 460...These amps have no way of getting cool air. It has fans but the (very) small enclosed space just circulates hot air. Great amp, horrible placement.

Solution? i used my 4" hole saw and cut thru the panel that sits on top of the amp. on the reverse side of the panel, i glued a mesh grill to make it look clean and almost "factory". Now paired with 2 JLAUDIO 12W7's, I run my factory amp hard and could feel the hot air being pushed thru the new "vent" i made.

LET THEME BREATH!

Where did you pick up the 12 volt source for the fan?
Old 06-01-19, 08:15 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandyV View Post
To follow up on the repair - I used these guys above. Cost was $450 plus $20 return shipping. They did the repair and had it back to me in three days. They were also able to tell me that the failure was a dead short across the power supply and to replace the main amplifier fuse in the car as it will have been blow. Without that info I would have installed the repaired amp only to discover that it wouldn't power up.

For the fuse - there are about 6 fuses indicated as associated with the amp, located in 4 different fuse block locations. Pull them all until you find the one that is blown.
i'm dealing with the mark levinson amp issue. planning on sending it to factory repair service, as you did. i've researched them, and found a lot of glowing reviews on some BMW forums. question for you: on the factory repair service form that you need to fill out, they ask you for a description of the problem. did you go in a lot of detail? or is the problem known enough that you were able to keep it general, and they were able to put 2 and 2 together?
Old 06-10-19, 04:53 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

just posting this so that if someone visits this thread in the future, they can hopefully use my experience to help them. i sent my amp to factory service repair as well. they received it today. i received an email a little while ago saying that they received it, and another one just now saying it is fixed. $340. i paid, and will hopefully have back in the next few days. i will post again once the amp is reconnected and (hopefully) all will be well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: