LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS No longer a luxury car

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 09:38 PM
LSSteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS No longer a luxury car

Some years ago we wanted a car that drove well, but also provided a good ride for important passangers in the back seat. The LS430 fit the bill. We loved it. But Lexus, I guess, thought they needed to make their car look sporty or sleek or something. I say, it looks like it was designed for a wind tunnel, and not for people. In the newer LS's, you have to duck your head to get in. Not os in the 430. And if you want to be the 3rd passenger in the middle, best if you don't have a head.

I haven't tried out the big Mercedes or BMW yet, but one attempt to get into the backseat of a Lexus LS in the dealer's showroom says "if you want a nice car for back seat passengers, look elsewhere. This is no longer a luxury car."

I have always appreciated that the LS did not look pretentious. The 430 was understated luxury. Now, the LS not only does not look like a luxury car (it looks like the cheaper ES), it doesn't provide nice, easy to get in/out, and easy to see out, experience to pamper your important back seat passengers.

Still having some Lexus loyality, and appreciating the convenience of my local dealer, I would buy a new LS if they returned to the lessons that made the LS such an appreciated automobile. But with cheap-looking slanting rear roof line, they are not there yet.
Old 07-31-13, 11:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

just get the 460L version, it is longer and easier to get in and out off, plenty of room like the old ones!
Old 08-01-13, 01:01 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

I think a lot of people would disagree with you
Old 08-01-13, 04:21 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Not a luxury car anymore?!?! Back seat passengers don't get pampered with a FULLY equipped LS LWB?!?!?! FOH lol...get you a used Rolls Royce then if that makes you happy haha

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-01-13, 05:40 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redoctane
I think a lot of people would disagree with you
I would be one of those people, I'm 6'1 sit in my back seat all the time and have no issue getting in or out without ducking. I have yet to have any rear passengers complain actually its more raves than anything, they love all the rear seat options, leg room and comfy the seats. The LS430 back seat is very nice, it is flat end to end, the LS460 rear seats are a bucket design leaving the center high and my thought is the middle is more for a small person to a child. I have never had three adults in the rear at one time, that goes for the LS430 too.

Were you looking at a SWB or LWB?
Old 08-01-13, 06:50 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with you. The LS is definitely luxury and provides more than enough room for my passengers. Now granted I have a LWB, but the reaction I receive when people get in my back seat is glorious. I can't even reach my kids in there car seat while driving. I literally have to remove my seatbelt and reach back for them if needed. I'm not a small guy either (6'0 270lbs) and my wife is 5'11) We have more than enough room. If your issue is the lack of leg room in the rear, I assume you have a SWB. I'd recommend a LWB with comfort plus package (reclining rear seats, heated/cooled rear seats/soft close doors). I think your important passengers would appreciate and enjoy those amenities.
Old 08-01-13, 06:01 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think all of cl disagree.
Old 08-01-13, 06:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's one more disagreeing member with a 2013 LS460 SWB. The LS as with all cars is evolving with the times. I always loved the 430 and still do to this day, but times change. I would love to own a 430, although the difference in the technology in both the 430 and the 460 is quite different... I would say for the better. I don't know of anyone who can walk straight into a car without bending over, the middle seat would be reserved for a smaller person. I've had 5 people in my back seat, 3 adults and 2 children ( long story ) but we got to our destination in comfort. Luxury??? Hell yeah, and lots of it.
Old 08-05-13, 08:13 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Well guys i am trading in my LS600hL better known to the world as a FLAPSHIP sedan since its no longer considered to be a LUXURY vehicle. I strongly suggest to all of my CL LS family to do the same since all of our cars are no longer considered to be as luxurious as we had originally though. So on that note i guess that we will have to trade up to the Hyundai Genesis for a true luxury vehicle. HA!!!!! I not the one for bashing anybody I only state the facts and for someone to say that the LS is no longer a luxury vehicle is ludicrous. The only way that the LS series is uncomfortable is if your rear passengers are Yao Ming height then that would be understandable. Another question comes to mind is if the individual actually was sitting in an LS and not an IS, ES or GS on the showroom floor (not bashing these models but they are smaller in size compared to the LS). So i must say to LSSteve that since you feel this way about the lastest LS model then i STRONGLY suggest that you remain with the vehicle that you are most content with. In addition, I will also say ( and i am sure that the whole CL LS Family feels the same) that your statement of the LS not being a luxury car anymore is RIDICULOUS and INSANE.
Old 08-05-13, 08:37 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RodT
Well guys i am trading in my LS600hL better known to the world as a FLAPSHIP sedan since its no longer considered to be a LUXURY vehicle. I strongly suggest to all of my CL LS family to do the same since all of our cars are no longer considered to be as luxurious as we had originally though. So on that note i guess that we will have to trade up to the Hyundai Genesis for a true luxury vehicle. HA!!!!! I not the one for bashing anybody I only state the facts and for someone to say that the LS is no longer a luxury vehicle is ludicrous. The only way that the LS series is uncomfortable is if your rear passengers are Yao Ming height then that would be understandable. Another question comes to mind is if the individual actually was sitting in an LS and not an IS, ES or GS on the showroom floor (not bashing these models but they are smaller in size compared to the LS). So i must say to LSSteve that since you feel this way about the lastest LS model then i STRONGLY suggest that you remain with the vehicle that you are most content with. In addition, I will also say ( and i am sure that the whole CL LS Family feels the same) that your statement of the LS not being a luxury car anymore is RIDICULOUS and INSANE.
Lmmfao! !! That's my dawg RodT effectively shutting down this lame thread. Well said man...well said!!

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-05-13, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

This is preposterous LOL.

Times change, styling changes. The LS400 and 430 were great cars...in the 90's and early 2000s...we had both. The tall greenhouse provided great access...and that look was stylish then, it isn't now. The LS460 provides excellent access both front and rear, and does it with sleek, modern styling. I'm 6' tall and have no headroom issues with access in the front or rear of the 460.

If your only definition of "luxury" is wide open headroom for access...then maybe it isn't a "luxury car" anymore...but then neither is any other modern sedan.
Old 08-06-13, 04:49 PM
55excl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSSteve
Some years ago we wanted a car that drove well, but also provided a good ride for important passangers in the back seat. The LS430 fit the bill. We loved it. But Lexus, I guess, thought they needed to make their car look sporty or sleek or something. I say, it looks like it was designed for a wind tunnel, and not for people. In the newer LS's, you have to duck your head to get in. Not os in the 430. And if you want to be the 3rd passenger in the middle, best if you don't have a head.

I haven't tried out the big Mercedes or BMW yet, but one attempt to get into the backseat of a Lexus LS in the dealer's showroom says "if you want a nice car for back seat passengers, look elsewhere. This is no longer a luxury car."

I have always appreciated that the LS did not look pretentious. The 430 was understated luxury. Now, the LS not only does not look like a luxury car (it looks like the cheaper ES), it doesn't provide nice, easy to get in/out, and easy to see out, experience to pamper your important back seat passengers.

Still having some Lexus loyality, and appreciating the convenience of my local dealer, I would buy a new LS if they returned to the lessons that made the LS such an appreciated automobile. But with cheap-looking slanting rear roof line, they are not there yet.
I have to disaree. The name Lexus means luxury and elegance thats how they invented it. In all the LS models it could not be said better.

Last edited by 55excl; 08-06-13 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-07-13, 08:25 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that was LSSteve's first post. Based on this reaction I suspect he may not venture out of his hole again for a little while

I just re-read my post and realize it sounds a lot more sarcastic than I intended. I hope he is not scared away.

Certainly the LS430 felt a little roomier than the SWB LS460 but I much prefer the LS460 styling. The 430 appears way too boxy to me now. As to Luxury, maybe a 1978 Rolls Royce was the height of luxury back then but not now. Time moves on and so does one's perception of luxury.

Last edited by edarte; 08-07-13 at 11:15 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-07-13, 09:26 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSSteve

Thanks for the good laugh!

You are probably right. A minivan sounds like it would be more luxurious to you. Just think, every one in the van can sit up right, has plenty of headroom, and you can probably stretch your feet out more. Just be sure you ask your local Ford dealer if they have an espresso bar for when you are waiting on that oil change.
Old 08-19-13, 04:51 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I some how just skipped into this forum from my LS where I have driven a 2 430's 160k total miles, still have one. Some of us are a pretty biased on the 430 forum. I agree the fastback styling starts to look like the 350 but not a cheap one. Only sat in the front seats, and never drove one as I felt the higher center console was not for me. I do feel they are well made and very, very nice.

Take it easy on LS Steve it was kind of a bold move not sure what he expected. Maybe I can take some of the heat off him. I always buy slightly used and got a great deal on a Touareg Exec TDI with 8500 miles on it full warrantee to 110k miles(mandatory), almost the twin brother to the Cayenne without 20 way seats and air shocks. I poked around looking at other cars for 6 months.

I thought about the 460 didn't like the high console in the middle and wanted something built to handle well and not be an expensive built for comfort before handling sedan. I read some reviews and hope the newer LS's handle more like the A8.

When my current 430 gets up to 150k I may look at the 09 AWD and check the reliabilty from you guys when it gets sub $20g's. Enjoy the 460's like I said they have to be very very nice.

Quick Reply: LS No longer a luxury car