LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 04:25 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Create an account on Lexus.com. Register your car by entering the VIN #. You will then be able to view the car's service history at any Lexus dealer where it was serviced. You should see something to this effect if the repair was done on your car:

ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH ADJUSTERS FOR GS460, LS600HL

Any Lexus dealer should also be able to tell you if the repair was done. If you bought your car as a CPO from a Lexus dealer then this repair would have been done before they could certify it.
Old 09-29-12, 05:10 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Create an account on Lexus.com. Register your car by entering the VIN #. You will then be able to view the car's service history at any Lexus dealer where it was serviced. You should see something to this effect if the repair was done on your car:

ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH ADJUSTERS FOR GS460, LS600HL

Any Lexus dealer should also be able to tell you if the repair was done. If you bought your car as a CPO from a Lexus dealer then this repair would have been done before they could certify it.
Not a CPO car, but did buy from a Dealer and added an extended Platinum warranty.

Thanks, sir.
Old 05-25-15, 10:05 AM
hentzLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What years are included

What years are including in this recall. I have a LS460 2011
Old 05-25-15, 10:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by hentzLS460
What years are including in this recall. I have a LS460 2011
2007 and 2008 LS460s. Your 2011 LS460 was not part of that recall.
Old 06-15-15, 02:56 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Has anyone figured out why, there are problems like this now? Especially on supposed over engineered cars like Lexus. The old Gen 1's and Gen 2's never had engine problems like this, some have even made it to the million mile mark with no major work other than recommended maintenance. There is a key reason for this. Anyone have any idea?
Old 06-15-15, 07:35 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Has anyone figured out why, there are problems like this now? Especially on supposed over engineered cars like Lexus. The old Gen 1's and Gen 2's never had engine problems like this, some have even made it to the million mile mark with no major work other than recommended maintenance. There is a key reason for this. Anyone have any idea?
It's quiet technical but from what I have heard the previous generations are made of pixi-dust and their tail pipes don't stink.
I have even heard that their timing belts are self healing unlike the timing chains that come on the 460.
Old 06-15-15, 07:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It's quiet technical but from what I have heard the previous generations are made of pixi-dust and their tail pipes don't stink.
I have even heard that their timing belts are self healing unlike the timing chains that come on the 460.
Right on! Having had both the 400 and 430, all you need is a band aid on those cars and they never need service. In fact, you don't have to change oil, never needs gas, paint doesn't fade, and they run for 20 million miles.

And then here I am pissed because I get in my LS460 and the damn car won't start with a voice command. I have to push a freakin' button. Pile of crap I tell you!!!!
Old 06-15-15, 08:09 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
Right on! Having had both the 400 and 430, all you need is a band aid on those cars and they never need service. In fact, you don't have to change oil, never needs gas, paint doesn't fade, and they run for 20 million miles.

And then here I am pissed because I get in my LS460 and the damn car won't start with a voice command. I have to push a freakin' button. Pile of crap I tell you!!!!
My voice command responses are self deprecating. Tells me every day that it should have been a 430 but they ran out of timing belts.
Old 06-15-15, 09:18 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing made by man that is perfect. Problems with prior generations of anything (including prior generations) are forgotten and our bias is to focus on the negative today. It's human nature.

Add to that the increased complexity of nearly everything (there are more computers in my cars than existed in the world when I was born) and it's a wonder anything works anymore.
Old 06-16-15, 02:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its all about having other countries manufacture the parts. I think they are finding that cheaper manufacturing costs aren't the way to go, when it ruins your reputation and cost thousands more per part in the massive recalls.
Old 06-16-15, 08:00 AM
Devh
Racer

Its all about having other countries manufacture the parts. I think they are finding that cheaper manufacturing costs aren't the way to go, when it ruins your reputation and cost thousands more per part in the massive recalls.
No reputations are ruined and this issue is mostly a historical footnote. Toyota stepped up to the plate and has taken care of it.
When any manufacture builds an engine from scratch there is always gong to be issues that crop up and are rectified. Some can be where as others cannot, this is just the reality of anything that is manufactured and there are some cars and trucks out there that have not done the recall and are doing just fine.

If you want to compare quality then I would say although the early version of this engine had a minor recall on the whole the way an LS 460 and LS600h engine are built and engineered better then all engines that came before it with the exception of the ISF and the LFA. It is also built better then the near identical engines made in Texas which are used for service work.
If anything you should be in awe of how far Toyota has come in making a near bullet proof drive line that will go beyond the engines they have made in the past.

Last edited by Devh; 06-16-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 01:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I thought it was the process of grinding unicorn horns into dust, and then gently sprinkling it over previous model's chassis, that was the secret for ZERO problems?

I have driven 50k miles since my valve spring recall. Zero problems. In fact I now have 100k miles on my car and the only thing I have had to replace were the tires and brakes. Some of that unicorn dandruff must blow onto my car when I drive past those LS430's.
Old 06-16-15, 01:44 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I thought it was the process of grinding unicorn horns into dust, and then gently sprinkling it over previous model's chassis, that was the secret for ZERO problems?

I have driven 50k miles since my valve spring recall. Zero problems. In fact I now have 100k miles on my car and the only thing I have had to replace were the tires and brakes. Some of that unicorn dandruff must blow onto my car when I drive past those LS430's.
People can not tell me that this forum is not incredible in a multitude of ways!
Where else can you be informed, have gentleman discussions/disagreements, laugh and learn about the very car you drive/may purchase..and most of all, all of this with pretty classy people!
Quite a place...
Lastly, Double, I know your car is only one of thousands, but it needs to be recognized that your car is an absolute work horse! And beyond that, its a testament to outstanding quality.
There is a guy that's in my office that has a Pontiac G6, 07 or 08 with 60k miles on it and he was telling me just a few hours ago that even though its paid off, he feels as though he still has a monthly payment because he has something going wrong nearly every month...
Shame..
Old 06-16-15, 01:44 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Apparently the rumor is mythical animals were harmed in the process so Toyota discontinued their quality standard in favor of an ethical one. Big John Henry quitting Toyota is the other rumor.

The amount of empathy previous generation owners show us for our 1st world problems is quiet pervasive. Maybe we should start a fund drive so they can fill our tanks and change our oil since they don't have to.
Old 06-16-15, 02:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Apparently the rumor is mythical animals were harmed in the process so Toyota discontinued their quality standard in favor of an ethical one. Big John Henry quitting Toyota is the other rumor.

The amount of empathy previous generation owners show us for our 1st world problems is quiet pervasive. Maybe we should start a fund drive so they can fill our tanks and change our oil since they don't have to.
Lol! Very nice.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement