LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 08:07 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im not sure what actual cost is on a dealership certifying a car CPO, but I believe its "retail" value is about 2,000.

When I negotiated for my car in Dec of 09, it came out to just under 800.00 and they have replaced about 4x that amount on their dime as goodwill or CPO. No complaints here, the other side of this is also the roadside assistance, the free loaners and travel insurance, that may be high value to some drivers, but 10k is over the top, I normally see them adding in the 2k range here in So Cal.
Old 08-01-12, 06:29 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Thought I would raise this from the dead. As far as the CPO warranty "wrap" to extend it out past the 3 years, does anyone have some real time cost on what you were offered to "wrap" upon purchase of your CPO?
Old 08-10-12, 06:38 AM
madlad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the miles at purchase and your average annual miles driven as to whether you need the extended warranty beyond the CPO. I don't know if the extended warranty is covered by Lexus or some 3rd party. If a 3rd party, I'd have compunctions about purchasing now if it doesn't kick in for 3 years. Quality of repairs/replacement and what's actually covered comes to mind. Before I spend a dime, I'd want to see the fine print on the contract. Mostly they cover the drive-train and transmission. for expanded coverage, the price goes up exponentially.
Old 08-10-12, 11:32 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you made a good choice. Congrats on the new car. You will love it
Old 10-04-12, 11:45 AM
mafitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just another positive review

For Jerry at Midwest Toyota Superstore

He hooked me up with a 6 year/100K mile Lexus Platinum Warranty with Zero Deductible on my new 2012 LS 460.

My savings over the exact same product offered to me here, at my local Lexus dealer was....

almost 1200 dollars.

I highly recommend giving him a call. It took 2 phone calls and an email to get it done. All told, less than an hour.
Old 10-04-12, 06:48 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mafitch
For Jerry at Midwest Toyota Superstore

He hooked me up with a 6 year/100K mile Lexus Platinum Warranty with Zero Deductible on my new 2012 LS .
I bought a 2009 CPO LS recently and contacted Jerry at Midwest. His prices are good and he is honest. Had I bought an LS still under factory warranty that was not a CPO I would have purchased a warranty from him.

Being my CPO warranty covers me for 100,000 odometer miles and almost 7 years from original owner delivery i.e. 3 years over the factory warranty, he recommended it was not economical to purchase a warranty from him.

When i bought my CPO LS the dealer gave my the option of opting out of the CPO warranty and they would reduce the price of he car by $1,000.
Old 04-05-13, 07:34 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Thought I would raise this from the dead. As far as the CPO warranty "wrap" to extend it out past the 3 years, does anyone have some real time cost on what you were offered to "wrap" upon purchase of your CPO?

Yah - I am thinking about getting a 2010 LS and the 3yr/100k mile won't cut it for me. I love my LS'es. I called Lexus San Diego and they quoted me a little less than 2k to extend the CPO coverage to 5yr/100k miles, or about 3k for 6yr/125k miles. You can only get it when you purchase the vehicle. It's different than the Platinum warranties you can purchase at any time prior to the original 4yr/50k warranty. I think the CPO extension is a great idea. I usually get my LS'es fully fully loaded, so if anything goes out (and stuff does break!) it will pay for itself. On my current 04 LS430 UL they did 7-8k of warranty work! 0 cost to me! Love it.
Old 04-08-13, 06:22 AM
madlad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm near the end of my CPO period and still can't decide on an extended warranty. I drive the car less tan 5,000 miles a year. Is it worth paying for it, or am I giving a gift? I priced an extended warranty on another brand kuxury car with low mileage previously. They quoted $3K. Had I purchased it, I would have been out the money. Also, the fine print of the contract should be closely scrutinized. It's amazing what they exclude dependent on the level of coverage. Then there's the issue of denied claims because the owner didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenace plan, or, what the insurer calls owner neglect. Add to that the quality of repairs, if any, and use of 3rd party parts and I really am in a quandry. The worth of non-factory, 3rd party warranties is suspect until you file a claim, which is true of all insurances. I want peace of mind in the event of catastrophic failure(s) but I have to temper that with the probability of a failure occuring.
Old 04-08-13, 06:55 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madlad
I'm near the end of my CPO period and still can't decide on an extended warranty. I drive the car less tan 5,000 miles a year. Is it worth paying for it, or am I giving a gift? I priced an extended warranty on another brand kuxury car with low mileage previously. They quoted $3K. Had I purchased it, I would have been out the money. Also, the fine print of the contract should be closely scrutinized. It's amazing what they exclude dependent on the level of coverage. Then there's the issue of denied claims because the owner didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenace plan, or, what the insurer calls owner neglect. Add to that the quality of repairs, if any, and use of 3rd party parts and I really am in a quandry. The worth of non-factory, 3rd party warranties is suspect until you file a claim, which is true of all insurances. I want peace of mind in the event of catastrophic failure(s) but I have to temper that with the probability of a failure occuring.
Look, here is my take on the extended warranty:
i bought a 09 ls460 five weeks ago. it has 65k miles, no warranty and the price for the 36k mile extended warranty was 4500 dollars. I spoke to my mechanic and after inspecting the car, he said no way that is too much money. These cars hardly go bad unless you drive them like you stole them and run over speed bumps at 40mph and do crazy stuff with them that they are not designed to do. He also said, for $4500 dollars, i might as well buy a old camry and drive it around town and only drive the ls460 on the weekends so i have nothing to worry about.
My point is that if you only drive a car 5k per year, it is worthless to buy extended warranty. Again, unless you are drag racing this car, doing burn outs, going over obstacle courses, why would your car go bad with almost no use?
I drive my car normal (specially after putting 22 inch wheels) and as a matter of fact i have lately been accused of driving like an old lady lol, but my point is i bought this car to enjoy it and not worry whether it is going to break or not. I gave up on reading all these threads about the issues or constant problems because all it does is make me paranoid about the car.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-13, 09:20 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
...These cars hardly go bad unless you drive them like you stole them...My point is that if you only drive a car 5k per year, it is worthless to buy extended warranty...why would your car go bad with almost no use?...I gave up on reading all these threads about the issues or constant problems because all it does is make me paranoid about the car...
On the other hand....
Old 04-08-13, 10:50 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
On the other hand....
i saw that, but keep in mind, it is $3400 if lexus does the job. I have priced the control arms and they are NOT that expensive to buy. I could probably get that entire job done for around $900 dollars with labor included.
Old 04-08-13, 11:44 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silver305
...I gave up on reading all these threads about the issues or constant problems...i saw that...
Guess you're still working on this, huh?

Not everyone "operates" like you. Many - I'd venture MOST - late model LS owners choose Lexus dealerships to perform all service on their vehicles: warranty (standard or extended), regular maintenance, and out-of-warranty repair. Your advice to forgo extended warranties for pre-owned vehicles makes little sense for the majority of owners unable or unwilling to seek service from other than Lexus dealerships. You should keep this in mind when so advising new owners.
Old 04-08-13, 03:24 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't drive my car over the weekend and this morning I got in to "Check Brake System" and "Check Cruise System" messages. I drive like an old man mostly and the car has lower miles. Sometimes, things just break.
Old 04-08-13, 04:33 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

5k a year is nothing. forget the warranty.
Old 04-08-13, 04:42 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm near the end of my CPO period and still can't decide on an extended warranty...I want peace of mind in the event of catastrophic failure(s) but I have to temper that with the probability of a failure occuring.
Have you considered the effect of extended warranty coverage on your ability to sell the vehicle? A transferrable warranty assures potential buyers that 1) they are protected against catastrophic loss (the same concern YOU voiced) and 2) that dealer warranty service has been performed on the vehicle as opposed to that of "shade tree mechanics," brothers-in-law, or under-the-table arrangements with unscrupulous "operators" running their own schemes (or scams) out of a dealership. For this security, you should be able to recoup a good portion of your extended warranty expense from your eventual purchaser, thereby decreasing the cost of coverage to you and making the proposition all that much more compelling. Good luck.

Quick Reply: CPO extended warranty? Worth it?