LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 02:02 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $2,200 for my CPO extended warranty with additional years of coverage and to $125k miles with $0 deductible. I think it's worth a peace of mind. Purchase the factory warranty from Lexus Financial if you can. I had an after market warranty (Warranty Direct iirc) when I had my BMW 740, the coverage was not as extensive but they're pretty good in paying the claims.
Old 02-23-11, 02:23 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread I feel like my dealer did me a solid! I paid $800 for the CPO on an '08 LS460 with 49k miles.
Old 02-23-11, 03:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
It's an animated gif that I uploaded as my profile picture.

Annoying, isn't it

If you want to use it yourself, just right click on the image and select "Save Image As".

HBH
LMAO..why was i swatting my screen..seriously, wiped it and realized it was an animated gif...fail...good stuff
Old 02-23-11, 04:00 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

As another poster mentioned, I typically avoid any extended warranty, especially for home electronics, etc. That said, for a car of this complexity and cost, it was the only way to go for me.

Keep in mind, after 50k, you only get a powertrain coverage (and the only until 70k). This covers only some engine, transmission and rear axle parts. It WILL NOT cover suspension, audio/amp/Nav, Air suspension, interior mechanical, dynamic cruise, seat motors, xenon headlamps and ballasts, etc.

I tend to be a bit more picky about my cars than the average driver, so I notice things that others may not. I've had my CPO replace: rear driver's autoclosing door motor (wouldn't latch consistenly, would have cost 1300 otherwise), rear cupholder (was "sticky"), b pillar garnishes with the new design, resurface the front rotors (free), squealing drive belt pulley and a few other tidbits.

Not to mention, there is no cost to bring the car in for these diagnostics, I get a loaner car and/or Lexus waiting-room goodies, etc.

I don't know how other warranties stack up to the Lexus CPO, but I've got to say that going through Lexus for an extended warranty does give me piece of mind--plus it doesn't hurt that you can negotiate a killer deal nowadays on these things.
Old 02-23-11, 04:01 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I bought my car non CPO at 44K, but my credit union gave me a 6 year/60K additional mile extended warranty with zero deductible for $1,000. This is for platinum coverage which covers nearly everything except for items that are designed to be replaced like filters, bulbs, wiper blades, brake pads, rotors, etc. I plan on keeping my LS long term and my paperwork actually added 60K miles, so I am covered to 104K miles. I figure the parts on this car are expensive, so chances are if i have one component go out, I'll at least break even. Didn't want to take the gamble with having only 6K miles of warranty after I bought it at 44K. I think you didn't waste your money, sometimes piece of mind is a good thing if you can swing the add'l cost. Some folks take the gamble and win betting on good reliability and have no issues, and then there are some that aren't as lucky and have to dish out serious cash. With all these expensive components, schit can happen.
Old 02-23-11, 04:33 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Oh and with some warranties, you can get a partial prorated refund if you never make a claim (not applicable to CPO cars).
Old 02-24-11, 09:22 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Like you Lockedlex, I never go for electronics extended warrantees. However, for a car as complex as the LS460 is and the high cost of almost any repair I did go for a Lexus extended care warranty on my new LS460 AWD. I have the 96 mth/120,000 option and it cost me $2,400. This is fully transferable if I sell the car.
Old 02-24-11, 09:41 AM
Toto8
Rookie

I never heard of Lexus extended care warranty that goes 96 months and 120K miles? Did you get a new LS and this was offered at that time? Little confused...thanx any info.
Old 02-24-11, 10:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
Like you Lockedlex, I never go for electronics extended warrantees. However, for a car as complex as the LS460 is and the high cost of almost any repair I did go for a Lexus extended care warranty on my new LS460 AWD. I have the 96 mth/120,000 option and it cost me $2,400. This is fully transferable if I sell the car.
$2400???? Are you sure??? I have been shopping around for warranties for the best price and that package you are describing usually sold for $3600, and thats at bargain price. If it is 2400 you got a steal on that warranty
Old 02-28-11, 11:04 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Just to be clear the extended warranty brings the total warranty from date of purchase to 96 mths. So that is 4 additional yrs after the standard warranty expires. The extended warranty was purchased as an option on purchase of the new car and cost me CAN$2,400. I just received in the mail from Lexus the formal document booklet. I'm happy with the extra coverage since I intend to keep the car a long time, but it is transferable to a new owner so should help with resale value if I decided to sell earlier.
Old 02-28-11, 02:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto8
I never heard of Lexus extended care warranty that goes 96 months and 120K miles? Did you get a new LS and this was offered at that time? Little confused...thanx any info.
Actually it's 125,000 miles, but here are all the plans -

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...elected=LS_460

Obviously as you can read in other posts, there is no reason to pay "Suggested Retail Price".
Old 02-28-11, 04:21 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see from the link that under the platinum plan such components as the navigation and sound system are covered.

I have the Canadian "Extra Care Protection" plan that I purchased at the time I bought my CPO vehicle but I see no mention in my plan documentation that components like these are covered .

Am I right that the Canadian Lexus extended warranty does not cover these?
Old 02-28-11, 05:22 PM
vancouverl
Driver

yes you are correct the Canadian ecp does not cover the navigation unit .the USA warranty is more comprehensive.I regret purchasing my ecp as it only covers a limited amount of items .
Old 03-01-11, 10:29 PM
Uplate
Driver School Candidate

I do not think it is worth it. I bought a 08 with 35K miles for $39K with one year of warranty left form a used dealer. the Lexus CPO for a 2007 with almost 50K miles was almost $48K. $10K difference and one year newer was a no brainer for me.

this is my 5th Lexus, so I have a history with their reliability and service needs, so I I did not see a reason to pay a 8-10K premium for CPO.
Old 03-02-11, 02:57 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Uplate
I do not think it is worth it. I bought a 08 with 35K miles for $39K with one year of warranty left form a used dealer. the Lexus CPO for a 2007 with almost 50K miles was almost $48K. $10K difference and one year newer was a no brainer for me.

this is my 5th Lexus, so I have a history with their reliability and service needs, so I I did not see a reason to pay a 8-10K premium for CPO.
In this case, I think that CPO was way overpriced (especially if it wasn't an LWB). Dealers tend to do that... asking price on my car was 8k more than I paid for it, but some emails back and forth, a serious buyer showing up and they'd deal! The funny thing is as I left, they were wrapping up the paperwork on a similar car for pretty much asking, ouch.

Quick Reply: CPO extended warranty? Worth it?