LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009 LS460 AWD – bad ride quality – advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 09:27 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 LS460 AWD – bad ride quality – advice please

A week ago I traded in my 2001 LS430 for a 2009 CPO LS460 AWD and already I am experiencing buyer’s remorse. I am hoping this forum can help me.
While I love the styling of the 460 (the one aspect of the 430 I was not thrilled with) and all the tech toys, I am having a real problem with the ride quality of the 460. I bought the 430 new and put 190,000 kilos (120,000 miles) on it over nine years without a single problem and I got to know what an LS rides like.

I know the 460 is a firmer ride and, for the most part, I appreciate that. However driving along, mostly in the 30-90 KPH (20-55 MPH) range, it often feels as if the transmission is in too high a gear and the car is almost about to stall. If I step on the gas the problem goes away.

If the road is level and I put the cruise on and set to 90KPH (55 MPH) you can feel a continuous, intermittent, mild hesitation.

Before posting I searched all prior posts for similar problems but nothing seems to match. I read some people have experienced what feels like drive-shaft vibrations but, IMO, my problem feels more like bad gear selection. I have also read that some people say the car wants to be driven hard but I have a hard time accepting this behaviour as “designed-in”. I also tried using the “S6” gear setting thinking this might limit how high a gear gets selected but this gave no improvement.

I live in an area where e the road has numerous curves and low rolling hills (one that was very enjoyable to drive in the 430) but the ride in the 460 is most unpleasant.

I purchased the 96/160,000 kilo (96/100,000 miles) extended warranty with the car (it only has 11,000 kilos on it now) so I am hoping I have nothing to worry about.

I was hoping to find a TSB on this problem but no luck. It would be great if I could get some advice before I go back to the dealer so I don’t have an uphill battle to convince them there is a problem and they don’t have to spend a lot of time looking for a solution.

PS. Our driveway slopes down to the house and when backing out (i.e., up) the drive the car wants to roll forward between the time I take my foot off the brake and put it on the gas. I know I can use the auto parking brake (APB) feature but I don’t recall this problem with the 430 which did not have APB. As I recall, the 430 did not roll at all (as if the idle speed alone was sufficient to keep it in place). Is my 460’s behaviour normal?

TIA,
Ed
Old 06-11-10, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't know if they will cover this (i doubt that), but have you tried to check the throttle body and make sure it's clean? i know on some other cars, dirty throttle body might cause similar problems as you stated. on the other hand, have you tried s5 and see if it goes away? what's the rpm when you are in D or s6?
Old 06-11-10, 11:47 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why exactly did you purchase the car if you weren't happy with the way it drove? This should have been caught on a basic test drive and a full pre-purchase inspection before you paid a cent for the car.
Old 06-11-10, 05:29 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Rominl - Thanks for the response. I will keep it in mind but as this vehicle only has 10,000 KM on it I suspect it has not had time to accumulate build-up.

Miniz - Fair comment. The day I had the test drive was rainy and the streets were congested. I did take it on the highway for about 20 minutes. I tried to focus on many things, ride comfort, listening for any "unusual" sounds, handling, acceleration, braking, seat comfort, etc. but did not pick up on this problem. Perhaps it was not there then (but I doubt it).

I suspect it just took me time to focus in on it. In hindsight perhaps I should have taken several test drives but I had to get on to other appointments and the dealer I bought it from is not in my home city (decide in haste regret at leisure? - I hope not).

Regards,
Ed
Old 08-06-11, 05:55 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
Rominl - Thanks for the response. I will keep it in mind but as this vehicle only has 10,000 KM on it I suspect it has not had time to accumulate build-up.

Miniz - Fair comment. The day I had the test drive was rainy and the streets were congested. I did take it on the highway for about 20 minutes. I tried to focus on many things, ride comfort, listening for any "unusual" sounds, handling, acceleration, braking, seat comfort, etc. but did not pick up on this problem. Perhaps it was not there then (but I doubt it).

I suspect it just took me time to focus in on it. In hindsight perhaps I should have taken several test drives but I had to get on to other appointments and the dealer I bought it from is not in my home city (decide in haste regret at leisure? - I hope not).

Regards,
Ed
Ed, can you provide a friendly update?
Old 08-06-11, 07:01 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 08 LS460 rides pretty rough.. I can feel every bump on the road at low speed...I should have gotten the air ride version (LS460L)...however I heard air ride the airbag fail often and is very expensive to replace...oh well, can't win them all..
Old 08-06-11, 08:56 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Ed, can you provide a friendly update?
After a lot of unsuccessful attempts by Lexus (including complete transmission replacement) to correct the problem I got a buyback offer that I took them up on. I am now very happy with my 2011 LS 460.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-problem.html