LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

XM Has Just Turned On!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 04:38 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XM Has Just Turned On!

I got a surprise in my car today. I was looking at the nav screen and saw a traffic alert. Since I haven't had XM since the trial subscription ending in early 2008, I was not expecting this. I then tried XM and it, too, is functioning. Anybody know what is going on? Thanks.
Old 05-26-10, 04:42 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

No clue, but if anyone knows of a good promotion code, please share. I was only able to get a 3 month promotion. Their regular rates are too high in my opinion. I have it in both of my vehicles and I Phone. I don't think it's worth their asking price...
Old 05-26-10, 05:11 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me last night when I was driving around, it must be a trial supscription period.
Old 05-26-10, 05:14 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B
No clue, but if anyone knows of a good promotion code, please share. I was only able to get a 3 month promotion. Their regular rates are too high in my opinion. I have it in both of my vehicles and I Phone. I don't think it's worth their asking price...
You're right. It's not worth their asking price.

I've been able to renew my annual subscription for the past 3 years at around $77 per year. I've just told them each time that my subscription period is ending that I don't want to renew. Once they hear that, they transfer me to another department (retention?) and after I confirm that I want to cancel, they offer it to me for $77 for a whole year.

However, to me, it's not even worth the $77 per year. I don't travel long distances and the sound quality of their service is absolutely pathetic. I guess next time their going to have to offer it to me for 10 bucks for me to keep it...haha.
Old 05-26-10, 05:37 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my CPO on Monday, and I noticed it last night, too. I thought it may be a trial period that comes with CPOs, but now I don't know what to think?
Old 05-26-10, 05:39 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had the 77.00 deal for the past three years. Now, they don't want to offer it and they want 12.95 per month for one vehicle and 9.00 per month for the second. They said, they can't keep offering me the 77.00 price every year. They wanted to sign me up to a 3 year plan, and who knows if they will still be in business...

They also have a lifetime plan, but it's not my lifetime, the life of the vehicle, or radio.
A total scam.
Old 05-26-10, 06:00 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craig B
I've had the 77.00 deal for the past three years. Now, they don't want to offer it and they want 12.95 per month for one vehicle and 9.00 per month for the second. They said, they can't keep offering me the 77.00 price every year. They wanted to sign me up to a 3 year plan, and who knows if they will still be in business...

They also have a lifetime plan, but it's not my lifetime, the life of the vehicle, or radio.
A total scam.
Haha...good to know I won't have to worry about them pawning the service off on me at $77 again when I tell them to shut the thing off!

Never understood how a decision to compress the hell out of the signal so they can squeeze in 500 channels that all sound like crap was a good call. I mean, how many different channels of a particular genre does one need????

It's a shame, because I might actually be tempted to pay for it if it sounded better than AM radio...
Old 05-26-10, 07:20 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

i only want to sign up for the navtraffic. hmm. i wonder if i should sign up for a month and then cancel to get the customer retention plan.
Old 05-26-10, 07:24 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I ran around for two years on my 600, and XM never went off, even though I never paid a cent. During the first year, I called them thinking the connection might run out sooner or later. They asked for my code which I gave them, and they told me XM was not activated on my car. So, I just said OK and hung up; it was still active right until I traded. Obviously, something is not quite right with XM, but what do I know?

Originally Posted by Stoks
Never understood how a decision to compress the hell out of the signal so they can squeeze in 500 channels that all sound like crap was a good call. I mean, how many different channels of a particular genre does one need????
The worst receptions are the news channels; sounds like somebody speaking through a bowl of Jello...
Old 05-26-10, 08:34 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

I am still in the XM trial period in my LS, but my friend with a 2010 IS started receiving XM service last night as well. I wonder if this is a glitch or a deliberate teaser.
Old 05-26-10, 09:05 PM
Golfnut57
Driver School Candidate

XM is having a 2 week free access to 50 channels starting May 25 through June 7. XM is probably trying to get more subscribers. I found out about this when I was at the dealer last weekend.
Old 05-27-10, 05:18 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfnut57
XM is having a 2 week free access to 50 channels starting May 25 through June 7. XM is probably trying to get more subscribers. I found out about this when I was at the dealer last weekend.
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails XM Has Just Turned On!-xm.jpg  
Old 05-27-10, 07:18 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
Here you go...
hmmm. Just called the number listed and asked them about the free subscription from May 25th to June 7th and they gave 3 months free. Woot Woot.
Had to tell them I just purchased the car, so do not know if that made a difference.
Old 05-27-10, 08:30 AM
stever500
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stoks
Haha...good to know I won't have to worry about them pawning the service off on me at $77 again when I tell them to shut the thing off!

It's a shame, because I might actually be tempted to pay for it if it sounded better than AM radio...
XM is priceless to me. Sound, shmound. I could care less that the sound isn't that great. I mostly listen to uncensored comedy, the Grateful Dead channel, and Stars XL2 (talk radio, the old men's Maxim radio channel).

It could be coming out of a bowl of jello, then through a hollow tube, then through a distorted sound box and I'd pay good money for it (I am, $12 month and $7 for our extra car). It rocks! Our local radio is horrible. Most of the talk shows are boring and music radio? Forget it, in DC.

It came for free for a year on her Acura RL and I got hooked on it. This is coming from a guy that said he'd NEVER, EVER pay for radio. Who knew?
Old 05-27-10, 10:17 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by stever500
XM is priceless to me. Sound, shmound. I could care less that the sound isn't that great. I mostly listen to uncensored comedy, the Grateful Dead channel, and Stars XL2 (talk radio, the old men's Maxim radio channel).

It could be coming out of a bowl of jello, then through a hollow tube, then through a distorted sound box and I'd pay good money for it (I am, $12 month and $7 for our extra car). It rocks! Our local radio is horrible. Most of the talk shows are boring and music radio? Forget it, in DC.

It came for free for a year on her Acura RL and I got hooked on it. This is coming from a guy that said he'd NEVER, EVER pay for radio. Who knew?
I'm glad it brings you joy. Really, I hope it's around for you to enjoy for many more years.

However, the company is on life support and hemmoraghing cash. Obviously, something is wrong with their business model and the most frequent complaint I hear is that the sound quality sucks horribly.

As I get older I find that my hearing is getting worse each year. Maybe I'll finally reach a point where the sound could be "coming out of a bowl of jello, then through a hollow tube, then through a distorted sound box", and I wouldn't care. Hell, maybe by then I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway!

Until that day comes, I'll save the 12 bucks a month and listen to something that provides at least a marginal level of sound quality.

Quick Reply: XM Has Just Turned On!