LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 AWD Jerking on low speed

Old 01-21-13, 05:57 AM
edendw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(See my post from 1/10/13 for background on my car's situation.)

Update: As mentioned previously, my 2010 LS-460 (AWD, L-body) had a serious case of the shuddering problem. I went to my local dealership here in Maryland and met with the service manager. He was extremely helpful. He immediately acknowledged the problem, that it had very much come to their attention over the past year. His feedback, after he left the room for a while to talk to his head service technician:

-- He confirmed that the problem is only with the AWD models
-- There is a second Technical Service Bulletin related to the problem. I showed him the Bulletin that was provided on this forum. He stated that there is a second one.
-- He stated that the repairs recommended by Lexus have not helped very much with the problem, in most cases
-- The problem, he said, could also be experienced on the 2013 models, as no significant modifications were made to the drivetrain with the release of the 2013 AWD models.

Fortunately, I was able to completely resolve my situation. I got a new car! My lease term was expiring on the problem car, so I went ahead and got into the 2013 LS-460 F Sport. I got the RWD model and it is incredible. If you are looking for an LS with more of an edge, with well-done improvements, then I highly recommend that you take a close look at the F Sport. In addition, with the RWD, you will gain significant enough horsepower that you will notice it. And, of course, no shuddering!
Old 01-21-13, 06:00 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah but if you needed AWD before, how can you all-of-the-sudden no longer need it? The LS without AWD is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE in the snow. Been there, dun that!
Old 01-21-13, 10:00 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edendw
(See my post from 1/10/13 for background on my car's situation.)

Update: As mentioned previously, my 2010 LS-460 (AWD, L-body) had a serious case of the shuddering problem. I went to my local dealership here in Maryland and met with the service manager. ...
-- There is a second Technical Service Bulletin related to the problem. I showed him the Bulletin that was provided on this forum. He stated that there is a second one.
-- He stated that the repairs recommended by Lexus have not helped very much with the problem, in most cases
With all due respect I don't think your Service Manager knows what he is talking about. The March/2012 TSB I posted in an earlier post in this thread really does appear to correct the AWD shuddering/vibration problem. My experience includes, (on my previous 2009 LS), a complete transmission, torque converter, engine and transmission computer replacement with zero improvement.

This L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration TSB fixed it on my 2011 LS and it is a simple fix to apply.

Please find out from your dealer what the other TSB is he is referring to. I am aware of other transmission-related TSB's but only one dealing with AWD transmission shuddering/vibration.
Old 01-28-13, 07:52 AM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls 460 awd - 2010

Originally Posted by edarte
With all due respect I don't think your Service Manager knows what he is talking about. The March/2012 TSB I posted in an earlier post in this thread really does appear to correct the AWD shuddering/vibration problem. My experience includes, (on my previous 2009 LS), a complete transmission, torque converter, engine and transmission computer replacement with zero improvement.

This L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration TSB fixed it on my 2011 LS and it is a simple fix to apply.

Please find out from your dealer what the other TSB is he is referring to. I am aware of other transmission-related TSB's but only one dealing with AWD transmission shuddering/vibration.
Completely agree with edarte's comments above.

After his post of the TSB, a month or so ago, I returned my 2010 LS460 AWD to the dealer who applied the TSB fix which I believe is a software change to the computer that controls the transmission torque converter. The software update eliminated 99% of the shudder. The shudder is now a non-issue.

I might add for those of you new to these AWD torque converter shudder posts, that I not only had a team of four Lexus engineers (two from Japan who were non-English speaking) examine my car for 8 hours, but also lost an arbitration hearing through the National Center for Dispute Settlement prior to the TSB.
Old 04-29-13, 07:16 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had this done (note that I'm poster #3 on this issue).

I had the problem most when at 35-40 mph under light acceleration. I would get a shudder as if it was searching for a gear. Now under the same conditions, the car downshifts to the next lower gear.

My car has 115k miles, but they did it under warranty anyway.
Old 05-02-13, 03:19 PM
nightscope
Driver School Candidate

Default Funny This is not just a Lexus problem it is AWD

I recently sold a beautiful full load 2006 Chrysler Hemi 300C AWD.
Apparently this issue is exactly the same in the Chrysler AWD.
I did not experience it as many did at the new level but more recently the jerking had become annoying. I was told it was something to do with the points as dictated on the computer specifications. When they returned it to the manufactures specs it was even worse. Seems somebody does not know how to set it correctly perhaps. The unit in the Chrysler as was all the frame and drive train a product of Mercedes including the transmission. Do not know who built the Lexus pieces.
Old 05-07-13, 01:29 PM
Donniels
Driver School Candidate

I also have had the same problem but through various post and the TBS everyone mentioned the problem has been resolved. I live on a stretch where the limit is 35 and traffic flows up to 40 and same problem car constantly shifting up around 38 and down close to same speed. I had dealer disconnect the battery and do the flash TBS drove up/down the street and when it shuddered I would shift to manual. The car would drive perfect and then switch back to auto as I was braking.

After about 50 miles after disconnect and flash the problem seems to be resolved. I guess the car was learning my driving habits. But I only got the dealer to really address the issue when I got the service tech in the car and let him experience exactly what was going on.

2009 LS460 AWD
Old 05-10-13, 01:46 PM
gar2009ls
Driver School Candidate

Default Low speed jerking transmisson

I have a 2009 LS AWD short wheel base with only 24,000 miles. I have the same problem as the rest of these postings. I received absolutely no satisfaction from Lexus. Along with the wind noise and Bridgestone tire noise this care is not a pleasant car to drive.This is my second LS. My first being a LS430, a great car !

This will be my LAST Lexus, and my wife's last Lexus. She has a 2009 GS350.

Lexus has lived off of their past.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
06-07-2013 Update on Transmission Jerking:

I got the dealer to install the software up date. The software update fixed the problem!!!

Only took 3 1/2 years to get fixed.

I had to give the service manager the Service Bulletin to get his attention. Thanks to all for posting the service bulletin, otherwise the problem would have persisted..

Last edited by gar2009ls; 06-07-13 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-10-13, 04:26 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by gar2009ls
Along with the wind noise and Bridgestone tire noise this car is not a pleasant car to drive.
Most of the cars with a "wind noise" problem can be converted to exceptionally quiet cars with a simple, inexpensive DIY repair. Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 05-13-13, 07:58 AM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default Jerking/pulsing LS460 AWD

Before throwing in the towel, have your nearest Lexus dealer make sure that the adjustments in the referred to TSB (prior posts) have been made.

Those fixes worked for me after a many trips to the Lexus dealer, again as described in earlier posts on this Forum.

Originally Posted by gar2009ls
I have a 2009 LS AWD short wheel base with only 24,000 miles. I have the same problem as the rest of these postings. I received absolutely no satisfaction from Lexus. Along with the wind noise and Bridgestone tire noise this care is not a pleasant car to drive.This is my second LS. My first being a LS430, a great car !

This will be my LAST Lexus, and my wife's last Lexus. She has a 2009 GS350.

Lexus has lived off of their past.

To bad the folks from Toyota /Lexus don't care!!!
Old 04-16-15, 09:17 PM
tetontromp
Driver School Candidate

Default My Dealer still can't fix the shudder problem

I'm new to this thread, but have been researching this problem recently. I've bought a CPO 2011 LS460 AWD about a year ago (52 K when purchased), and it has the exact same 35-40 MPH shudder/vibration problem (unfortunately not noticed on my test drive).

My dealer first replaced the front half-shafts (CV joints) -- no improvement. Then performed the ECM TSB after I found it referenced in this thread -- but it didn't fix the problem (i've wondered if they performed the software change correctly, but they claim so). They've also ruled out the tires/wheels. Will be bringing in the Lexus rep next. Probably look at the rear driveshaft, etc, next. Thanks for all your posts, and I would appreciate any more ideas. It seems I have to bring all the potential solutions to my dealer's attention.

Very disappointing. I had a 2002 LS 430 for a decade -- an incredible car. Sad to discover how far Lexus has fallen, and very disappointing that Lexus has been so slow to remedy a huge flaw no one would accept in a $20,000 car let alone a top-of-the-line Lexus!
Old 04-17-15, 08:26 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tetontromp
I'm new to this thread, but have been researching this problem recently. I've bought a CPO 2011 LS460 AWD about a year ago (52 K when purchased), and it has the exact same 35-40 MPH shudder/vibration problem (unfortunately not noticed on my test drive).

My dealer first replaced the front half-shafts (CV joints) -- no improvement. Then performed the ECM TSB after I found it referenced in this thread -- but it didn't fix the problem (i've wondered if they performed the software change correctly, but they claim so). They've also ruled out the tires/wheels. Will be bringing in the Lexus rep next. Probably look at the rear driveshaft, etc, next. Thanks for all your posts, and I would appreciate any more ideas. It seems I have to bring all the potential solutions to my dealer's attention.

Very disappointing. I had a 2002 LS 430 for a decade -- an incredible car. Sad to discover how far Lexus has fallen, and very disappointing that Lexus has been so slow to remedy a huge flaw no one would accept in a $20,000 car let alone a top-of-the-line Lexus!
Well it has been well over two years since I had this specific TSB applied and, while the symptoms have improved, the fix is not perfect. I still feel the shudder sometimes (again only on uphill mild acceleration) but it is definitely better. I do suspect that the fix has caused a drop in gas mileage though.

I am convinced that the 8-speed transmission just does not work well with AWD. I think it is telling that for both the new RC and GS they come only with a six speed transmission if they are AWD.
Old 04-20-15, 08:17 AM
Donniels
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I have a 2009 I purchased a couple of years ago that had the same problem. It had only a few miles left in warranty and the dealer put me through the same program . Final the service manager and I drove the car the problem appears a lot when the tank is half and transferring from fuel pimp to the next. They replaced both fuel pumps and problem was corrected. I still have the problem from time to time but realized that the car runs terrible on BP gas. My advise would be have the dealer look at the fuel pumps it's be two years now and no BP gas and I have the ride I always wanted.

Old 04-20-15, 08:37 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2014 AWD LWB, was this problem resolved for 2014 model or is this something I may face? I pulled into my garage yesterday after starting up a mild grade of my drive way and heard a clunk never heard before in my five months and 5k miles of ownership. I did not notice a hesitation as much as the sound. Is this the same likely the same issue?