LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 AWD Jerking on low speed

Old 04-15-09, 03:22 PM
klim123123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal
My car did this one time for approximately five seconds. It happened the morning after I joined this forum. The 5K maintenance had just been done. I would describe it as “lurching.” What I felt could not possibly be described as “normal.” It lurched 8 - 10 times. It was gentle, like a big giant hand pushed - stopped - pushed - stopped. Speedometer said 40 MPH. Speed was steady. Car had been running 5 - 10 minutes. Temp was probably 35 F or so.

I had read this thread so I said “crap.”

My car is a 2009 bought in December 2008 with 70-some miles on it. I don’t know when it was made.

2008 AWD? Russia is always ahead of us. 2009 was the first model year LS AWD in the US, I think.

I will keep you apprised and continue to read this thread.
And when you made "5K maintenance" did you said you have this problem? What they said? It's OK, you can drive, it's normal?
Old 04-16-09, 06:43 PM
Fractal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by klim123123
And when you made "5K maintenance" did you said you have this problem? What they said? It's OK, you can drive, it's normal?
My 5K work was done on Friday, the five second lurching incident occurred Tuesday morning, after the 5K. I have not yet told Lexus about it.

I am driving my car as if nothing had happened. It behaves normally. It is lurch free.

I wish I could offer you more - I feel your pain - but that’s all I’ve got. If it happens again I will post here.

How bad is is? Is it 100% consistent? Does it occur whenever you do a steady 40 MPH? Every time? If it is jerking, does it continue to jerk if you maintain your speed? Do you have to do something to make it stop, like pressing on or lifting off the gas paedal? What happens if you shift to Sport?
Old 04-16-09, 07:07 PM
klim123123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fractal
My 5K work was done on Friday, the five second lurching incident occurred Tuesday morning, after the 5K. I have not yet told Lexus about it.

I am driving my car as if nothing had happened. It behaves normally. It is lurch free.

I wish I could offer you more - I feel your pain - but that’s all I’ve got. If it happens again I will post here.

How bad is is? Is it 100% consistent? Does it occur whenever you do a steady 40 MPH? Every time? If it is jerking, does it continue to jerk if you maintain your speed? Do you have to do something to make it stop, like pressing on or lifting off the gas paedal? What happens if you shift to Sport?
It's happens almost every time i drive 60-80kph. When it's start jerking it's continue jerk unlimited times. To stop it, i need to change speed. If i will return to the same speed, it will start jerking again.

I tried sport/snow, problem still exist, no reaction.

I already trying to sell my car...
Old 04-17-09, 05:04 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What we are all feeling is the transmission searching for a gear. You can prove this by going to manual mode and downshifting to 5th -- the problem goes away. I suspect that the added resistance of the front drivetrain is causing it, and 40mph is the sweet spot.

Let's do this:
1. Everyone who has this should mention it at their next service (I already have). That way Lexus has a log.
2. I'm going in for my 10k service in a couple of weeks, and I'll ask about it again.
3. Klim, don't sell your car. If this really is just a transmission mapping issue, Lexus will be able to rewrite the software and download it to the ECU.
Old 06-13-09, 09:58 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

I had my service. They had not heard anything on this issue, but they did agree that if people want it addressed, they need to report it to their dealer.

As a side comment, I have noticed that for me this is only a problem after I've done a lot of stop-and-go driving. So, I still think this is a transmission mapping issue on the AWD models.
Old 06-13-09, 07:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

has lexus ever made a successful AWD car ?

maybe they should reverse engineer a quattro.
Old 01-22-10, 02:57 PM
klim123123
Driver School Candidate

Problem resolved!!!

My car was hijacked!
Old 01-22-10, 06:49 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Это просто пиздетс... Я надеусь у тебя есть страxовка
I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 06-18-10, 10:23 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Default LS460 AWD jerking on low speed

I just came across this thread after recently purchasing my 2009 CPO 460 AWD.

At least I feel better now that I am not alone in my observation of this "seeking gear" sensation but it would be great if there has been a fix identified since the original thread goes back to 2008.

Does anyone know of a correction to this problem that I can pass on to my service rep?

TIA,
Ed
Old 06-20-10, 07:03 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Not that I'm aware of, but definately bring this up with your service advisor so that it gets logged as an issue. If you find out anything, let us know.

If it's any consolation, after 35,000 miles, it has subsided a bit.
Old 06-21-10, 09:54 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Appreciate the update joeyb. I will certainly log it with my dealer on my next service. My car has identical behaviour to your vehicle. Mars an otherwise very enjoyable ride. At least it does not occur all the time.

I just purchased this CPO 2009 with approx. 6000 miles on it and it is certainly noticeable. If there is any truth to the “learning” that some people have mentioned (although I am sceptical) hopefully it will improve once it gets used to my driving style. Although I hope I don’t have to wait until I have 35000 on the clock.
Old 02-14-11, 07:56 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

I have the same shuddering problem in my LS 460 AWD (2009) and have been told that it is "normal". I have a hard time believing that this would be engineered in - I guess Lexus is just getting sloppy. I will now raise the issue with Lexus corporate (my expectations are low) to see if they have any plans to resolve this issue. This is a significant problem form me because a good part of the time I am on surface streets with a speed limit between 35-40 which is excatly where the problem occurs. I have also noticed that it will shudder sometimes when it downshifts (like when giving a bit of gas on an on-ramp) - anyone esle seen this?
Old 02-14-11, 01:39 PM
edarte
Pole Position

btexpress

Don’t accept the Lexus line that this behavior is “normal’.

I also have a 2009 AWD and I get the shuddering/jerking while under light acceleration, especially uphill, in the following speed ranges (50, 65 & 70 MPH). Just get the car in the speed range on an uphill and then lightly give it gas. (It reminds me of a manual transmission that is in too high a gear and is starting to stall.) At 70 the car is actually shaking so much all passengers can easily feel it. I have also started to feel the shuddering while on level road at 40 MPH while driving at a constant speed (even with cruise control on).

I have been dealing with my dealer (no complaints about their performance) but I have had to have several service visits while they tried one solution after another and this has gone on for eight months now.

For a while they were saying they were prepared to replace the transmission if necessary to solve the problem. Then they back-pedaled and tried to say it was “normal”. At that point I insisted on a test-drive with the Lexus rep.

About a week ago I had my dealer rep and the Lexus rep in my car (along with my friend and neighbor as a witness) and both reps said, and I quote; “If this was their car they would be disappointed in its performance and they would want it corrected”

So I am now waiting on word back from Lexus. Up until now I have been probably too patient as they tried to work through various causes but this has gone on too long.

In Canada we don’t have Lemon laws but despite that I intend to get this resolved to my satisfaction even if I have to go the CAMVAP vehicle arbitration route or even court.

I did a poll on this site and nobody with an LS460 has responded with this kind of transmission problem (although there have been a few in the past as reported in this thread). Most owners describe the transmission performance as smooth or flawless (although there have also been some reports of rough shifts in the 2nd & 3rd gear ranges)

The good and the bad news for me is that my problem is not intermittent – it happens all the time in the conditions I describe above. When it does occur it seems to occur with the early 2009 production (e.g., Sept, 2008) vehicles. It also appears to be a problem related to the locking of the torque converter. The bad news is that I also experience it all the time in these speed ranges so the problem is never forgotten and it spoils my drive.

So stay on Lexus’ case on this so we can all get a successful resolution. And before your test drive get familiar with the conditions that cause the problem so you can consistently reproduce it. And please post your results.
Old 02-21-11, 03:12 PM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

I have been on their case and have some movement in my favor. I will post when I have more information - hopefully it will help.
Old 02-23-11, 09:04 AM
edarte
Pole Position

After multiple service attempts I finally had a Lexus rep test drive the car back on Feb 1st and five days after that Lexus agreed to replace the transmission and torque converter. That work is scheduled for early March once parts arrive.

I would be very happy with the vehicle if the replacements work. Once the work is done (expect to pick up car March 11th) I will re-post on the success of this fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 AWD Jerking on low speed