LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 05:54 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?

I love my LS and find it to be a great car but there are areas where I would improve. You can bet that Lexus tracks this site so I thought it would be nice to post ways to improve the LS so that we may potentially influence future generations.

I will kick things off; Bring the side turn signal indicators to the US!
Old 01-04-09, 05:55 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Another thought; Use LED's in the turn signals and parking lights.
Old 01-04-09, 06:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some other features on competing flagship vehicles - a 'quick lane change' blinker setting that flashes for a few seconds then goes away automatically (not sure if the safety gurus at Lexus will like that), also blind spot warning system, further improvements to the radar cruise.
Old 01-04-09, 07:02 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Equip every car with an All Hazards Weather Radio with Specific Alert Message Encoding. This would provide background monitoring for weather threats and all civil emergencies, such as terrorists attacks, chemical spills, tornado warnings, tidal waves, flash floods, etc. The infrastructure is already in place in many areas. Drivers already get these type of alerts from their terrestrial radio stations, especially FM stations reliably but if they are listening to XM or Sirius or recorded material they miss potentially important warnings.

And while we are discussing improvements: Why do you believe that Lexus watches what is discussed here? How can they not be aware that there is a wind noise problem with the LSs?

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-04-09 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 07:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1.) Use all LED's inside and out.
2.) Improve interior lighting (which is too dim).
3.) Replace interior vinyl by seat belt connectors and below glove box with something much more durable.
4.) Drop exhaust below rear bumper so it does not burn and discolor the plastic trim around it.
5.) Improve paint durability so the front end does not chip.
6.) Install dual pane windows to cut down on road noise even further.
7.) Install standard LED turn signal mirrors.
8.) Introduce a V6 in short wheelbase only, such as LS350.
9.) Introduce LS-F in short wheelbase only, such as LS-F.
Old 01-04-09, 08:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
1.) Use all LED's inside and out.
2.) Improve interior lighting (which is too dim).
3.) Replace interior vinyl by seat belt connectors and below glove box with something much more durable.
4.) Drop exhaust below rear bumper so it does not burn and discolor the plastic trim around it.
5.) Improve paint durability so the front end does not chip.
6.) Install dual pane windows to cut down on road noise even further.
7.) Install standard LED turn signal mirrors.
8.) Introduce a V6 in short wheelbase only, such as LS350.
9.) Introduce LS-F in short wheelbase only, such as LS-F.
please no v6 on LS, keep it flagship. and you realize most lwb already has laminated (dual panel) glass right?

changes to me
1) mirror turn signals
2) larger trunk
3) nav that i can use when driving
4) sportier version
Old 01-05-09, 02:55 AM
george1688
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
please no v6 on LS, keep it flagship. and you realize most lwb already has laminated (dual panel) glass right?

changes to me
1) mirror turn signals
2) larger trunk
3) nav that i can use when driving
4) sportier version
The V6 is not necessary in North America but it is needed in Asia. The 4.6L is the main reason why then LS460 doesn't sell so well in Singapore, in fact it is the main reason why Lexus sells about half as much cars as BMW or Mercedes here. Although a LS460, GS300, IS250 is about the same price as a Mercedes S300,E200 and C180 respectively. People just don't see a need for a car with such a big engine especially because of the expensive road tax charged according to engine CC. Make more engine choices like Mercedes and BMW for example, the S-Class is available in S300, S350, S500, S600 and AMG so please make wiser choices like a LS350, GS250, IS200 and sell the cars at an even lower price and we have a winner.

ps. Please make the ES350 in RHD and hopefully in a smaller engine (ES250). It helped boost Lexus sales by a lot when it was here.

Last edited by george1688; 01-05-09 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 03:06 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

come up with better wheel design, b/c they suck...
Old 01-05-09, 03:38 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see the cruise control function like that on a BMW 7ser where your set speed is shown graphically on the speedo.

I also like the suggestions about the interior lighting, the lane change turn signal and of course...UNLOCK THE NAV!!!
Old 01-05-09, 04:52 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Why do you believe that Lexus watches what is discussed here? How can they not be aware that there is a wind noise problem with the LSs?
They are acutely aware of it but have yet to fix it.

I am sure that they use this site for input. It is free customer research and Lexus is a great company that truly cares about putting out great cars. Part of that is listening to their customers.

It is not their only data point but rest assured, it is a data source.
Old 01-05-09, 04:58 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Digital Speed Control. So you can see your exact speed. I used to own a mercedes i always fix the speed at 159km/hr radar captures at 161 km/hr. In lexus its not precise.
Old 01-05-09, 07:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

They should have the APSSS(Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System) as standard(or at least an option) equipment for the LS460L to reduce body lean. They have that for the 600hL, but won't even offer it as an option for the LS460's
Lexus have to realize that having an active suspension system not only improve the driving experience, but ride comfort as well, with the negligible body lean and dips when cornering and braking. I would pay for this option happily, much more than being forced to pay extra(because of the way they package their options) for useless options like the self-park

Yes I think they need to make better/fancier looking wheels available at least as an option, right now, the only one that I kinda like is the split spokes that comes with the 600hL Launch Edition.
Old 01-05-09, 07:35 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
They are acutely aware of it but have yet to fix it.

I am sure that they use this site for input. It is free customer research and Lexus is a great company that truly cares about putting out great cars. Part of that is listening to their customers.

It is not their only data point but rest assured, it is a data source.
Luxury1,

There are numerous anecdotal reports as to the cause of the wind noise in the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)" thread on this site. I informed Lexus eight months ago, both directly and indirectly, about the cause of the wind noise.

If you read this recent post you will see that Lexus remains "Off In The Weeds" on this problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4126718-post429.html

Please use any influence or inside contacts that you might have to get this information to Lexus. Many owners continue to suffer from this problem, Lexus and the Lexus dealers continue to suffer from this, and the resale value of our cars is affected by this.
Old 01-05-09, 07:42 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
I'd love to see the cruise control function like that on a BMW 7ser where your set speed is shown graphically on the speedo....UNLOCK THE NAV...
1. Ditto on both of these. Other than the manual transmission, it's one of the two things I liked better on my previous BMW

2. The other was FIX THE VOICE RECOGNITION! Unlike the BMW, the Lexus voice recognition really stinks. Every time I say "Zoom IN", it adds some POI instead.

3. This will NEVER happen, but hey, it's a wish list. Offer cloth seats.

4. This will REALLY NEVER happen. Offer a manual transmission.

5. Add messages to the Lexus Link personal calling system.

6. The new "Blind spot" recognition system would be good.

7. Fix or drop the "Self park" feature.

HBH

HBH
Old 01-05-09, 09:50 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

People have already made some great suggestions for improvements here.

One additional improvement that I would definitely like to see is a radio recorder. In other words, if I am listening to the radio (AM, FM, or satellite), I would like for the system to record at least 10 minutes of the program I am listening to. That way, if I miss something important or I did not quite hear what was said, I can always go back and play it again. The capability to program and record an entire 2-3 hour show would be even nicer. This would be the equivalent of a "dvr". I will call it a "dar".

luxury1, I agree with jmcraney. If Lexus actually pays attention to this site, there would no longer be a wind noise issue on the LS460 and 460L. If they do look at this site, they are so incredibly stubborn that they do not want to admit that someone actually found a solution that is incredibly simple. Thus, the "pain" for some continues.

Quick Reply: Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?