LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

brake clicking noise NOT TSIB BR005-06

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 07:45 AM
euge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake clicking noise NOT TSIB BR005-06

my 08 ls460 has had this issue since it hit about 4000 miles.

apparently, my issue of a "clicking noise" when braking was a "different" braking noise than what is coverd by tsib br005-06.

my dealership is aware of the br005-06, however my issue seems to be a different one because its not related to when im shifting from foward to reverse. my clicking noise, what i refer to as a similar sound as when i used to put a baseball card in the spokes of my bike, apparently is coming from the braking system "somewhere". the clikcing noise gets gradually louder and faster as the car comes to a stop.

there is NO tsib for this. my service advisor and his manager both send unfortunately, lexus has not addressed this issue yet. they cant start taking the car apart to figure it out, they need to wait for lexus to come up with a fix.

of course my main concern is that there is something wrong wit my brakes, is this a saftey concern? am i going to end up getting into an accident whil lexus is dragging there feet trying to come up with a tsib? the service advisor and his manager botht said it is on record that i have brought my vehicle in for this specific problem and that if there is any issues, well, its documented. OF COURSE when i asked about will they be fully liable for all damages, they skirted around the issue without saying lexus will cover all damages.

the service manager informed me that it is not really a safety concern because the braking system is infact working properly, its a convience issue.

to me, its a problem with a $70k+ car with a 5K miles. it should not be a problem i need to "deal with" until there is a fix.

i understand that the guys at the dealership are infact trying to do the best they can with what they have. apparently, from what ive heard on saturday, its not the job of the technicians at the local dealerships to come up with fixes. they are given fixes by lexus and they must follow them.

lexus has not come up with a fix for this problem.

basically, i am to wait until lexus comes out with a fix.

the service manager informed me to contact lexus through their customer service line and make sure to complain. without saying in so many words, he seemed to have been informing me to get the word out. the more complaints lexus has, the more they will address this issue.

i cant believe theres "no fix" for this and its a pretty wide spread problem.

THERE WAS ANOTHER LS460 WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AT THE DEALER AT THE SAME TIME!!!

are there other ls460 owners with this problem?
Old 11-13-08, 08:00 AM
RedRider
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's LS 460 also has a clicking/popping noise that sounds like the same issue you are having and is not the same as covered in the existing TSIB. When we took it in for service, my Lexus dealer also said it was not a safety issue with the brakes. However, they ordered some parts are working to repair it (something to do with an actuator...) Anyway, I am picking up the car this morning. I should be able to share more info on what was done a little later.
Old 11-13-08, 09:03 AM
euge
Driver School Candidate

my sa also mentions it MAY be a problem with an actuator, but they wouldnt want to attempt to do anything just yet because the lead tech from corporate in los angeles told them not to.

yes, please post back.

thanks
Old 11-13-08, 11:17 AM
me_ccie
Driver School Candidate

Euge, I just got my car back for the same issue. The sound is gone, they replaced the actuator and so far so good. I see your in CA. If your in NorCal give the stevens creek lexus service center a try.
Old 11-14-08, 01:16 PM
RedRider
Rookie

Lexus of Portland replaced the actuator on my wife's LS460 and that appears to have taken care of the noise in my case as well. When the tech rode with my wife to hear the noise they didn't even have to leave the parking lot, she could reproduce the noise just by braking. The tech seemed to know just what the problem was, so I'm guessing it wasn't the first LS they saw with the problem. Their rationale was that a $70K luxury sedan shouldn't make that kind of noise and so they didn't sqawk about doing the repair. Naturally, they got no argument from me.

Hopefully, your dealership will come around and do the fix for you without you having to twist their arm too much.

Last edited by RedRider; 11-14-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 12:40 PM
euge
Driver School Candidate

this is good news. thanks for sharing the information. i will just have to see what my service advisor says.

i will post back with the results.

me ccie, did you have the work done at stevens creek?
Old 11-19-08, 01:40 PM
me_ccie
Driver School Candidate

yes I did. I'm very pleased with them too. After I took the tech for a ride he was able to diagnose the issue from the sound it was making. I hope your SA gets back to you soon, I know how annoying the sound was and the concern on if the brakes were to go out.
Old 11-25-08, 12:02 PM
euge
Driver School Candidate

ive spoken with my sa and the service manager of lexus of serramonte. the manager said that they have already tried to replace the actuator on another ls460 and that about a month later the sound came back. he also stated that they work very closely with all the local dealers and that they share their info.

how do i feel? for whatever reason, i am chosing to believe him. i will "wait to see" a bit longer. it is VERY bothersome that i have to deal with this with a 70K car but i also dont want to be constantly leaving my car in the shop either.

if the problem get worse or if it pisses me off enough one day, i might just have to drive to stevens creek to ask them to do it, until then, im "waiting to see"

could you guys please update the fix also?

thanks
Old 11-25-08, 11:25 PM
rueym
Driver

who is your sa at serramonte? i also have one of my lexus fixed there. maybe if you get bored you can have a poker game at lucky chances while you're waiting for it to be checked
Old 01-01-09, 11:25 AM
Vikingskip
Driver School Candidate

Hi!

I have a LS 460 (07) and it has the same clicking/popping noise that you and others describe. The dealership had my car for 14 days (while I was out of the country) and they could not fix it. It seems that many others have the same issue.

Here are a few clippings from internet:

"Hi, new to this site. I have a 07 LS460(built 10/06) that has a popping noise when you depress the brake pedal at slow speeds. you can also activate the noise by pushiing down on pedal when at a stop. Dealer says never heard of it, replaced the pads and rotors, which helped fix another problem with "grabby" brakes, but this noise still persist.Has anyone had this issue, and if so, how was it fixed?"

"I noticed a light grinding/knocking noise coming from the left-front brake when applying the brakes. Sounds like something in the rotor, possibly. There's no grinding or rubbing feel coming through the pedal, though, so I don't think it's anything that needs to be addressed before the next service at 10,000 miles. "

A +$70 000 should not have this kind of issue. At present it seems that we are waiting for Lexus to fix this. Is there a central complaint hotline to call?
Old 01-21-09, 03:50 PM
Ramik80
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Actuator ( Knocking noise )

Hey guys - I got 2007 LS460 with 24K miles on it ( just bought it ) and it had this knocking noise when I push down the brake pedal. I took to the dealership this morning and they first tried to brush it off and say that there is nothing wrong but I told them that I will pick up the car until they figure out what the problem is.....

They call me back after 25 minutes and tell me that it is the actuator and that they will replace it for me. they gave me a loaner car and I am suppose to pick up the car tomorrow with this problem all fixed up... I will keep you guys updated on the results...

Thanks - Ramik80
Old 01-30-09, 04:27 PM
mfno0od
Rookie

I got the same problem with my LS (built Nov2007)

I found that the clicking noise become louder and more noticible as the brake pads been older ..

I changed the front brake pads twice and notice that there was no clicking noise when the pads were new ,, and week after week it starts again ,
Old 02-06-09, 10:00 AM
euge
Driver School Candidate

its been a few months and for me, nothing. the dealer insists that there is nothing he can do. lexus has no tsb for it yet, so nothing can be done. he told me that replacing the actuator is only a temporary fix, that they have done this alrady and the car came back in a few weeks later with the same problem....

basically i was told to wait till a tsb is available.

how is everyone else with this issue doing?
Old 02-09-09, 06:07 PM
me_ccie
Driver School Candidate

I "HAD" the exact same issues you're all speaking of. Read my prior posts. Your dealerships are giving you the run around. Since my dealer addressed replacing the actuator I have not heard a peep from my brakes

Last edited by me_ccie; 02-09-09 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 10:13 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Originally Posted by me_ccie
I "HAD" the exact same issues you're all speaking of. Read my prior posts. Your dealerships are giving you the run around. Since my dealer addressed replacing the actuator I have not heard a peep from my brakes
I work for one, we know to replace the actuator. If the dealer had comeback 1 month later for that repair, they didnt bleed the actuator correctly.

Quick Reply: brake clicking noise NOT TSIB BR005-06