LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 08:40 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one thing that everyone forgets is that MB is not a luxury car only builder. they make economy cars for the rest of the world. they make small cars with 4 cylinder diesel engines, wind up windows, cloth or vinyl interiors, etc. imo thats the same as being toyota and making high end luxury cars to sell here.
mb has always made inexpensive well built cars for the rest of the world. they've been used as taxicabs and police cars for decades.
the fact that americans perceive MB as only a top tier automaker just demonstrates the ignorance of the typical american high end car buyer if they dnot consider toyota/lexus to be on par with MB just becuase toyota makes cheap cars for the masses.
Old 08-29-08, 09:17 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I think it all depends on age. Why ? Lexus starting in 1989, so older people have aways know the "S" as a high end car and Lexus as just another toyota.

For the people born after 1990, I think lexus would sit side by side with an "S" series for the name and quality because when they started looking at cars, Lexus has been around for their whole life and they would take compaire it with MB...

Just in another thought, Just like Hyundai (Can I say this in a Lexus fourm ?)for this thought. I know them as cheap, junk $7999.99 cars, and never stood very well or would I own one. If someone who never looked at them before, looked at them now, they might not look too bad. When the people who are were born in 2000, they would never know the bad side of it. They are trying to go side by side with a 5 series car and even the Luxury market.

Just my thoughts...
Old 08-29-08, 10:04 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it really depends on who your talking to... high society in the US, well, alot of them are just work stiffs who dont know much about cars. When they don't know much about cars, they do what everyone with money does, and immediatly go for the name. Mercedes Benz has become one of the most known cars for luxury and performance... whether it is actually true or not. I'd say its kind of like Gucci for housewives, the bag is hideous, but its got a massive G on it so it means your classy. (not that benz's are ugly)
They don't know much about cars, and will go with what the mainstream says, and when people think high class luxury car, they think mercedes, since they have such a long history.

On the other hand, Lexus has won the JD power reliability award for what was it? 14 years? They are now making cars that are easily on par with what mercedes is putting out (at least in terms of the LS vs Sclass), but there luxury hasnt been on top for as long as mercedes..
Think of all the movies and TV shows that have rich people getting into or out of a car, or next time your watching pay attention, its usually a Benzo
Old 08-29-08, 10:51 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by 19psi
one thing that everyone forgets is that MB is not a luxury car only builder. they make economy cars for the rest of the world. they make small cars with 4 cylinder diesel engines, wind up windows, cloth or vinyl interiors, etc. imo thats the same as being toyota and making high end luxury cars to sell here. mb has always made inexpensive well built cars for the rest of the world. they've been used as taxicabs and police cars for decades. the fact that americans perceive MB as only a top tier automaker just demonstrates the ignorance of the typical american high end car buyer if they dnot consider toyota/lexus to be on par with MB just becuase toyota makes cheap cars for the masses.
These are good points though MB has not always made inexpensive cars - they were pretty expensive before the 1990's...

I sometimes think there are two Mercedes Benz's... The MB of the SL, S, and CL Class is in a different tier (certainly price wise) to the MB of the A, B, C, and E classes... and of course the US does not get many of these models, or at least only the higher powered versions.

Chris
Old 08-29-08, 11:56 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think i shoudl have said that more like "inexpensive compared to the models we get here".
Old 08-29-08, 12:25 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think that the benz eco cars can really compare to the toyota models, yes benz makes small cars as well as trucks buses etc but they are always priced at a higher premium than their counterparts. Even the smart car is quite expensive for what it is. At the end of the day the company has to compete and the market share of the smaller passenger cars and the commercial car is too great for them to miss out on. I believe they do much better in the commerical car segment than the passenger vehicles. Nevertheless their top modles like the SL CL and S class also have a certain perception, even as a lexus driver, when you see a Sl65 or S65 you cant help but be wowed
Old 08-29-08, 12:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ndk83
I dont think that the benz eco cars can really compare to the toyota models, yes benz makes small cars as well as trucks buses etc but they are always priced at a higher premium than their counterparts. Even the smart car is quite expensive for what it is. At the end of the day the company has to compete and the market share of the smaller passenger cars and the commercial car is too great for them to miss out on. I believe they do much better in the commerical car segment than the passenger vehicles. Nevertheless their top modles like the SL CL and S class also have a certain perception, even as a lexus driver, when you see a Sl65 or S65 you cant help but be wowed
Google A class or B class or C-class hatchback and get back to me. They are taxi cabs in Europe. Just b/c something is expensive does not make it better.

As for prestige, surveys among the rich show Lexus to be seen as more prestiguous than Benz. As Andrew said, to the public, it is the other way around.

TO ME, the S-class is more prestigous still. Its more prestigous than the A8 and 7 as well. I do love the fact it has decades of history behind it and you can get a 180k S65 with 600+hp.

I also DO KNOW they sell V-6 and diesel S-classes in Europe; In AMERICA Benz wants to protect its IMAGE of superiority so we will NEVER get those cars. We get the S550 as the base model. We don't get V-6 SLs and they won't bring us the new C-class hatchback.
Old 08-29-08, 10:16 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

well hatches dont really work in the states, in europe they are considered cool. Honestly sometimes i envy you guys in the states, S class should NOT come in v6 or diesel trim (i dont care how many Lemans Audi wins and how sporty they can make the diesel engines). I understand the their reasoning, but doesnt mean i have to like it. Is it just me or do most of the current Mercedes' out not only look better ni AMG trim but look like they were designed oringially in AMG trim and then stripped of their body kit to make the regular model. ( i know its prob not true but thats what it looks like. In the past the kits looked like addons , the current models the kits look like they belong on the vehicles)

I guess thats what i appreciate about the LS, you cant geet no V6 LS, one model, one engine (v8). Even the hybrid works on the luxury car, not for the gas savings, cause lets be honest, its a v8, but rather the quitness and silent start and roll fit perfectly with what the buyers of that class look for.

But yea even though i own a Lexus and i think my car is the greatest car in the world, when you see an LS and when you see the S, the S appears to be more balling. It just oozes class and style, esp the current one. WAsnt crazy bout the last one, i think in general the current line of mercedes cars have greatly improved their image, cause i used to hate benzs, now they are some of the best lookin cars in their class, The S , CLS, CL, and now the new SL all look better than their competition.

Last edited by ndk83; 08-29-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 09:11 AM
tom2517
Driver School Candidate

Between the current S and LS, I would pick the S. This current generation of S is very classy inside and out. It is also better to drive. Yes, I have the LS460L but that is only because the S is way too expensive in Taiwan. The LS cost about 140,000 USD compare to the base S350 in Taiwan which cost about 170,000 USD. And S350 is no where near LS460L in terms of equipment and performance. But S550 starts at about 200,000 USD, without even any options.

So in the price friendly USA, I would take the S over the LS.

p.s. In Taiwan, even though the LS sells very well (because of the price), the S is definitely more prestigious. LS is a good car, but pedigree matters, and Lexus is not quite there yet.
Old 08-30-08, 04:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There a number of factors that come into play when purchasing a vehicle. Two that play a significant role in the higher end segment are vanity and logic. Vanity is closely correlated with prestige, and logic is naturally more akin to intelligence. Therefore, knowing this we can rationalize the following equations:

Logical Equation:
Lower Cost + Luxury + Longevity + Lower Cost of Ownership (Maintenance) = Lexus Brand

Vanity Equation:
Higher Cost + Luxury + Longevity + Higher Cost of Ownership (Maintenance) = Euro Luxo Brands

Therefore, one can conclude that, if bling is not an issue, how peers influence your decision is, and common sense is out the window, go Euro. Whereas if bling is still not an issue, you put a lot of thought into your purchases, and common sense is paramount, then go with Lexus...

The only option I see then is to buy the car that's leading the pack in technology, comfort, convenience, dependability, and masterfully delivers pride of ownership for making the logical choice.
Old 08-30-08, 05:52 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
Old 08-30-08, 10:52 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
There a number of factors that come into play when purchasing a vehicle. Two that play a significant role in the higher end segment are vanity and logic. Vanity is closely correlated with prestige, and logic is naturally more akin to intelligence. Therefore, knowing this we can rationalize the following equations:

Logical Equation:
Lower Cost + Luxury + Longevity + Lower Cost of Ownership (Maintenance) = Lexus Brand

Vanity Equation:
Higher Cost + Luxury + Longevity + Higher Cost of Ownership (Maintenance) = Euro Luxo Brands

Therefore, one can conclude that, if bling is not an issue, how peers influence your decision is, and common sense is out the window, go Euro. Whereas if bling is still not an issue, you put a lot of thought into your purchases, and common sense is paramount, then go with Lexus...

The only option I see then is to buy the car that's leading the pack in technology, comfort, convenience, dependability, and masterfully delivers pride of ownership for making the logical choice.

So what are u saying? One simlpe fatal flaw with the L- equation, cause basically ur saying go buy a hyundai! I feel nowadays that the Lex is falling into the V equation more these days

Last edited by ndk83; 08-30-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 11:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that equation shows the difference between the more logical, independent-analyzing buyer and the more pop-culture influenced buyer. If the car mags had their way, we would all be driving Euro brands for prestige luxury/performance, and we would take whatever is their car of the moment for other categories, such as the affordable luxury and family car categories.

Originally Posted by Burnaby
This IMO sums up many smart Lexus buyers out there perfectly. Fortunately, there are a number of excellent choices out there, including Lexus and others, as well.
Old 08-30-08, 11:54 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

couldnt agree more, thats pretty much what made up my midn when it came to buy my ride. Originall i wanted somethnig fast, then i reliased there would always be much faster cars on the road, the Lex has everything else
Old 08-31-08, 09:34 AM
CO-LS400
Driver

Today... I think MB has a bigger image because they were on top for years.

However, times a changing.... Look how many former Loyal MB buyers now buy Lexus and never turn back.

I am one of those people, so is my father and all of my friends..... Look at the sales numbers...

Quick Reply: US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class