LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Things you notice on a 3,500-mile trip ...

Old 05-12-08, 05:56 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Things you notice on a 3,500-mile trip ...

Just returned from a 3,500-mile trip in my '08 LS460. I won't bore you with another long trip report, but I did note some things that crop up after that many seat miles in a car. Here are a few of them:

Steering:

This car has a lot of side surface area, and it really "wind steers" in crosswinds. Going west on I-40 and then returning east on I-10, we were almost constantly buffeted by 25-35mph crosswinds (with a lot of higher gusts). These winds come out of Mexico in the summertime, and are almost always out of the due south. I found the LS moved around more than my other recent cars (Acura TL, Acura RL, BMW 540i, etc.), and kept me making a lot of small corrections to keep going straight.

Of course, the LS offered a superior ride compared to those cars, so I guess it's a trade-off you make. But I think the LS's steering at highway speeds could be a little firmer, making it track a little better, and that might take only a software change to the electric steering program.

Fuel Economy

In a word - Fantastic. I can get 30mpg at 80mph on a reasonably flat ground all day long ... if the winds don't interfere. There were times in Southern California and Nevada where I easily got over 30, even while going around 80mph. Photographic evidence follows:

As you can see by my odometer readings, these were taken at 3 different times, with varying amounts of miles on a given tank. And this is the "After Refueling" numbers, so I didn't reset the mileage and quickly snap it while it was high. The mileages were after 50-125 miles on a fresh tank, but the mileage held up longer. (BTW, sorry for the quality - these are RAZR cell phone pix while moving.)

I couldn't be happier with the mileage for such a big, luxurious car.

Transmission

Much of the credit for the good mileage goes to the 8-speed transmission. The only comment I'll make there is that downshifts could certainly be smoother. When I'd be cruising and come up on a hill, the downshift could be a little jarring. Ditto for fast downshifts to pass trucks on two-lane roads. A Lexus tranny should be a tad more refined IMO.

Nav System

First, I'll say that without the PS bypass, I would have invented several new curse words. I simply can't use a Nav that locks me out while moving. Shame on you Lexus, and thank you PS.

Another strong gripe is that the map drops most of the detail once you get beyond 1-2 miles zoom level. WTF is with that? When you are going 75-80mph, you want - and need - a wider field of view (like at least the 8 mile zoom level, and 16 miles is even better), but you also want to be able to see something more than just interstate highways, for goodness sakes. And why do town names disappear? the only thing that shows is major cities.

A good bit of our travel was on secondary highways, and although they were fairly significant roads, they just didn't even show on the map if I went to more than 2 miles zoom. And of course, no towns. That's nuts. It gave me map tunnel vision.

Also, I don't understand why Lexus doesn't identify things in the map. For example, it might show a huge green area, sometimes with a tree icon, but you don't know what the heck it is. I'd like to know it's Kings Canyon Nat'l. Park, or Zion Nat'l. Park, or whatever, without having to refer to a separate map or atlas.

Ditto for lakes, and airports and other POI's displayed on the map. If it's on the map, it should be identified. Everyone else tells you what these things are - even if you have to touch the screen to find out - so why does Lexus choose to leave you in the dark? The Nav is a great tool, but only if it actually gives you information.

I have a few other issues with the Nav system's quirks, and I plan to write Lexus about them. I'm sure my letter will go in the round file.

Comfort and Handling

Couldn't really ask for more. Four-hour stints without a stop were no problem. And the car is roomy and well laid out. No complaints.

Handling is good for a big car with a great ride. Sure, it can't stay with sports cars in the twisties, but the twisties comprise about maybe 2% of my annual driving, so I'll opt for the ride every time. You sporty guys can have the sports car handling/ride compromises.

Overall, this is a great road car IMO, and we enjoyed the trip in it. It'll definitely be called into service for trip duty again.

Old 05-12-08, 06:19 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff.. i only read this because I plan on driving up to jersey from florida this summer in my 00 RX300 with 80k. Yea my awd baby loves to steer with the road, so im not looking forward to having to countersteer for 1500 miles.. haha.
Old 05-12-08, 07:05 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

I hear ya, mini.

BTW, I also meant to point out that at 80mph on a flat road, my car tachs about 1950rpm. That's klller, and of course the prime reason for the great mileage.

Old 05-12-08, 07:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be careful taking pics while driving! (I confess having done that too while going slow--following exotic/special cars)

Very interesting and cogent observations. The mileage---great for such a big car. The most fuel-efficient luxury flagship.

Yes, maybe future versions of the 8-speed transmission/software etc will be even more smooth. And the handling/directional control can be improved in future generations.

I wonder about the NAVI ID's, yes I wish there were more options for more labels at different resolutions. Usually I've used the 2-3 from closest zoom. It would be good to see the names of 'what lake is that?' etc.

The LS 460 is definitely one of the best cars for long trips. Kinda like flying first class.
Old 05-12-08, 08:13 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very impressive fuel efficiency Mike. Did you use premium gas? I have been able to reach close to 30 recently here in Midwest with ethanol 89 octane. The roads here are a bit hilly. I am driving up to northern MN this weekend I am interested to see what sort of mileage I get. It looks like I will be having either head winds or a combo of headwinds and cross winds traveling north on Friday, so that could really mess up the gas mileage.

PS...Take a look at the wind noise thread. Speaking of wind noise, how was your car with this issue for the long trip?

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 05-12-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:32 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Wow.... that is some MPG . Way to go Mike. I thought I was doing darn good getting 29.4 mpg on long trips.

Thanks for the evaluation write-up; definitely concur on the minor shortcomings of the Nav system.

Mama Lexus are you lurking!!!!
Old 05-13-08, 05:42 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Great Info One thing I will say ever since I upgraded to the bigger wheel/tire set up my car feels very solid on the road and does not get bumped around on windy days compared to the stock set up.
Nonetheless I am glad this big tank of a car has such good gas mileage
Old 05-13-08, 08:24 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
That is very impressive fuel efficiency Mike. Did you use premium gas? I have been able to reach close to 30 recently here in Midwest with ethanol 89 octane. The roads here are a bit hilly. I am driving up to northern MN this weekend I am interested to see what sort of mileage I get. It looks like I will be having either head winds or a combo of headwinds and cross winds traveling north on Friday, so that could really mess up the gas mileage.

PS...Take a look at the wind noise thread. Speaking of wind noise, how was your car with this issue for the long trip?
Yes, I used only premium. I was prepared to fudge a little if gas prices got too high, but they stayed under $4 everywhere except for one tank I had to buy in California. In fact, other than that, I don't think I paid over $3.89 or so.

Haven't checked the wind noise thread yet, but with those crosswinds I definitely got a lot of the dreaded "swishing", but I've always gotten that with crosswinds, so I didn't think anything of it. One thing I'll say is that when you think the crosswind noise is "wind noise", just crack the window 1/16" at 80mph and you'll hear wind noise that'll take your head off!

Old 05-13-08, 08:43 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

One other thing I meant to ask you Mike. Did you have your AC on? I assume you did. That makes it even more impressive.
Old 05-13-08, 08:50 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

How often did you have the cruise control on?
Old 05-13-08, 01:04 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
One other thing I meant to ask you Mike. Did you have your AC on? I assume you did. That makes it even more impressive.
My A/C stays on all year-round ... that is, I put it on "Auto" when I get the car and never turn it off. The A/C removes humidity during the winter, so it's helpful then as well as in the summer. I NEVER drive with my windows down.

So I guess the answer is "yes"!

Old 05-13-08, 01:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
How often did you have the cruise control on?
I drive with cruise control ALL the time ... even in town. I basically accelerate up to the speed limit for a given street (or a few mph over it, to be truthful ), then set the cruise. That way, I don't risk accidentally drifting up too far over the limit, and I can safely fudge a couple extra mph without getting a ticket.

On the highway, I usually run 6-7 over. Yes, I'm a scofflaw ... speed limits are set artificially low, and I don't have any patience for that. At that speed, I've been stopped only once in my life, and that policeman just gave me a warning.

Most tickets are gotten by people who simply don't stay riveted to the speedometer and as sure as they drift too far over the limit (like going downhill), they get zapped by the opportunistic copper hiding at the bottom. Been going the limit for miles, and just coasted too fast down the hill? Too bad - tell it to the judge.

Old 05-13-08, 03:58 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Default Mike - Mileage

I'm impressed.

Just out of curiousity has anyone ever divided the actual indicated miles driven by the actual gallons pumped?

Then compared that to the "After Refueling" readout?

Whit
Old 05-13-08, 05:45 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Check Daryl's MPG experiment thread.

Sidgriggs did a very extensive and methodical analysis with his car on page 3, post 32.
Old 05-14-08, 09:12 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Check Daryl's MPG experiment thread.

Sidgriggs did a very extensive and methodical analysis with his car on page 3, post 32.

Burn -

Thanks, it's hell to be stupid but no joy.

Couldn't find the above thread, even searched by thread title and 'sidgriggs', still no joy.

Whit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things you notice on a 3,500-mile trip ...