LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help installing jdm hid/led fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 04:34 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Help installing jdm hid/led fog lights

I just received a set of jdm fog lights today, and they are truly a work of art. But they didn't came with any harness. I'm guessing that those harness are also pretty hard to come by, unless someone know where to buy them ? Anyway the socket for the jdm fogs seems different than US spec:
JDM: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/DSC_1385.jpg
US spec: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/INIAAO...FA/s-l1600.jpg

US seems to have 2 wires (I'm guessing pos+ neg) and the jdm have 4 (blue,red,grey and black). So I'm guessing without the harness the HID part won't plug directly. Making an adapter should not be hard but I need to make sure that I can feed 12v directly into those wire, and knowing which one is for the LED part and which ones are for the HID part would also help (and if they can both take direct 12v). I plan on feeding them power directly from the US regular halogen harness, would that work ? Are the HID and LED both receiving their 12v from the red wire ? Would hate to break them while testing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some Pics:

Last edited by Vansibel; 02-17-16 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 02-18-16, 07:37 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Did some testing and the circuit seems pretty straightfoward: Blue and Black = LED Pos and Neg, Red and Grey = HID Pos and Neg. One odd thing thought is that my noco booster pack made a beeping sound on the HID as if the polarity was inverted. Another thing is that the HID briefly changed color and turned yellow, surely this is not the stock bulb for this car. The led was great in purple and I was expecting the HID to be that color. Is there anyone who know which spec/brand are the stock hid bulb for those fogs ?

Thank you very much for any help you guys can provide.

Old 02-18-16, 08:41 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No help from JDM?
Old 02-18-16, 09:07 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks like the person u purchased it from had put in yellow bulbs.
Old 02-18-16, 10:08 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread had a set of these same fogs for sale with a different harness on the back. Hope this helps:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...og-lights.html
Old 02-18-16, 10:42 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brianlin87
This thread had a set of these same fogs for sale with a different harness on the back. Hope this helps:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...og-lights.html
Yes thanks, I was aware of that thread... And pretty much every other speaking of those fogs. Mine came with 2 spare hid and I tried both and I think this one is the genuine one as it gave exactly the color I was expecting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-OEM-Ha...-/111825196129

So the bulb probably got switched for yellow one. One thing I noticed is the beep was actually coming from the ballast. It's very annoying but this is normal according to that guy:

Waited around 2 min and they were still making that annoying beeping noise. Is that normal for Lexus ballast ?

Last edited by Vansibel; 02-18-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 07:25 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same noise initially. Bulb is a D4S. Mine are 6k and plugged right into the factory harness.

Old 02-18-16, 08:00 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PMIRO2
plugged right into the factory harness.

But you are still using the harness/relay that came with the set right (excluding the drl switch) ? And about the noise, did it ever managed to stop for you after a while ? I'm guessing I may need some kind of relay to get around that noise problem, ordered a generic set on ebay that I will adapt to the fog and will see how it goes.
Old 02-19-16, 02:50 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

I used the harness that came with it and plugged into the factory harness. Unfortunately, I do not have pics. Let me know if you would like the install instructions. They are in Japanese, but are interesting nonetheless.

The noise went away.
Old 02-19-16, 04:03 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

I used the harness that came with it and plugged into the factory harness. Unfortunately, I do not have pics. Let me know if you would like the install instructions. They are in Japanese, but are interesting nonetheless.

The noise went away.
Thank you for the info, and yes I would definitely be interested by the install instruction even if they are in Japanese. Also are you aware if the harness have a part number at all ?
Old 02-20-16, 07:51 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

The rest of the directions are on my laptop at work. I can grab them next week.
After searching high and low, we determined that the harness they are plugging into on the driver's side panel is non existent on the us models.

Last edited by PMIRO2; 02-20-16 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 12:39 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same noise initially. Bulb is a D4S. Mine are 6k and plugged right into the factory harness.

How're those Q45 projectors holding up? I did a double take and remembered your thread from last year some time. Such a cool mod.
Old 02-22-16, 07:14 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brianlin87
How're those Q45 projectors holding up? I did a double take and remembered your thread from last year some time. Such a cool mod.
Thanks. Holding up well minus the constantly blinking afs on the dash lol. I still get excited every time I see the lights, and that's what makes it all worth it. I think the Porsche projector with the 4 LEDs around it would be a sweet retrofit. Maybe next time.
Old 04-22-18, 10:25 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back from the dead. Anyone know how to hook up the led lights section. Is this a plug and play option for the leds. There is one plug left over. Does this plug into the running lights. If so how and where? HIDs are on but need to somehow hook up the led section. And yes I have the harness. Do we even need to hook up the harness for them to work?

Lastly, mine kit came with brackets, will I need to install this as well because the American version foglights have no brackets.

Thanks so much...

Last edited by nar8ta; 04-22-18 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 08:47 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nar8ta
Back from the dead. Anyone know how to hook up the led lights section. Is this a plug and play option for the leds. There is one plug left over. Does this plug into the running lights. If so how and where? HIDs are on but need to somehow hook up the led section. And yes I have the harness. Do we even need to hook up the harness for them to work?

Lastly, mine kit came with brackets, will I need to install this as well because the American version foglights have no brackets.

Thanks so much...
I am looking to do this mod myself.
Would you share where you purchased the kit and kit contents, photos of parts. Would probably help others guide you as well.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Help installing jdm hid/led fog lights