LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 10:48 PM
ahalyaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise

thanks for folks for bringing me aware of wind noise. I recently bought 07 lexus ls 460 and took it to dealer today, guess what, wind noise was detected by dealer and have scheduled me for factory fix since it is under warranty. As per the dealer, fixes are extensive, both front driver side & passenger side windows will be replaced with new acoustics glass as well with new glass gaskets with new chrome beads inclusive of the fixes that forums was talking about plus replace the side gaskets & chrome beads of the front windshield, running from front to top to back windshield of the roof on both driver & passenger side. All these parts had to be ordered & will keep posted. The noise itself is not a issue but being lexus, i guess our expectations are high. Either way, with fix or no fix, i love my Ls 460.

will keep you posted
Old 09-03-09, 05:38 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Another LS Wind Noise Buyback - #25

Here is another wind noise buyback. This one is on eBay.

This one is a 2007 LS460 VIN JTHBL46FX75009156.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...t_18168wt_1167

If you don't want to chase the link, here is part of what it said:

Quote:
This 2007 Lexus LS460 is one gorgeous luxury sedan!! It is in excellent condition. This LS460 will have a manufacturer buyback in the vehicle title history. It was repurchased by Lexus because of wind noise. We have the paperwork from Lexus to verify the repairs. This LS460 was then completely inspected by Lexus and found to meet factory specifications. The repair history is avaliable on this Lexus. The factory warranty is in effect. This Lexus won't last! Don't miss a chance to own this luxurious 2007 Lexus LS460!
End Quote

The latest wind noise buyback tally, including this one, looks like this:

#1 JTHBL46F775045743 2007 LS460 OH
#2 JTHGL46F875003331 2007 LS460L FL
#3 JTHGL46F175008967 2007 LS460L OH
#4 JTHGL46F975002186 2007 LS460L PA
#5 JTHBL46F875008216 2007 LS460 AZ?
#6 JTHGL46F475017758 2007 LS460L FL
#7 JTHGL46F175009066 2007 LS460L FL
#8 JTHGL46F575004856 2007 LS460L FL
#9 JTHGL46F875018220 2007 LS460L FL
#10 JTHGL46F075016218 2007 LS460L LA?
#11 JTHBL46F585065636 2008 LS460 CA
#12 JTHBL46F875048814 2007 LS460 FL
#13 JTHBL46F075008162 2007 LS460 FL
#14 JTHBL46F275022984 2007 LS460 FL
#15 JTHGL46F575012777 2007 LS460L AR?
#16 JTHBL46F575021960 2007 LS460 FL
#17 JTHBL46F475038619 2007 LS460 FL
#18 JTHGL46F675014215 2007 LS460L FL
#19 JTHBL46F675013656 2007 LS460 ?
#20 JTHBL46F975037417 2007 LS460 FL
#21 JTHBL46F675027427 2007 LS460 ?
#22 JTHBL46F485052098 2008 LS460 CA
#23 JTHBL46F575008089 2007 LS460 FL
#24 JTHGL46F175009794 2007 LS460L FL
#25 JTHBL46FX75009156 2007 LS460 ?

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-03-09 at 08:02 PM. Reason: corrected "LS460L" to "LS460"
Old 09-08-09, 11:35 AM
chelsea196
Driver School Candidate

Default no solution so far

I have been working with Sewell Lexus in Dallas regarding the wind noise on my 2007 LS 460. They have been very nice and accomodating in trying everything available so far but too my disappointment there is yet a solution. Appraently there is some meeting next week out in CA in which wind noise is on the agenda. Im hoping they come back from that with a new solution. Interestingly enough my neighbor just bought a 2009 LS 460 and he has wind noise in exactly the same place at the top of the drivers window.
Old 09-11-09, 09:31 AM
jmcraney

Default Wind Noise Help Offer

You should not give up on seeking a solution to your wind noise problem until you have ruled out the triangle trim as the source.

There is a DIY fix that is discussed at length in this thread that has provided a solution to many owners, including owners who have exhausted all other possibilities with Lexus.

I have personal knowledge that your dealer knows the wind noise problem has been fixed in cars using the DIY fix. As far as I can tell, Lexus will not allow the dealers to fix the cars in the manner that I have suggested. I can offer no explanation other than they are shortsighted.

I would be glad to help anyone who wants to try the DIY Triangle Trim fix.

If you live near Garland TX, I would be glad to do the DIY fix for you. I am not in business and I am not selling anything.

Or if you would like to have my advice about any details regarding the DIY fix I would be glad to help you via email or telephone.

I know that there are some owners who feel that only Lexus should work on their car. It has become evident that Lexus is very unlikely to ever fix their cars - some of the 07 models with this problem are three years old now. One of the owners described, in this discussion thread, the DIY fix as akin to working on a $70K car with a caulk gun. So, if anyone would like for me to just look at their car - it would take less than a minute per side - and give them an opinion about whether the triangle trim is causing their wind noise problem, I could do that too.

If you would like to have my help, you can contact me through the "Private Messages" feature on this site.
Old 09-17-09, 09:11 AM
donmichel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You should not give up on seeking a solution to your wind noise problem until you have ruled out the triangle trim as the source.

There is a DIY fix that is discussed at length in this thread that has provided a solution to many owners, including owners who have exhausted all other possibilities with Lexus.

I have personal knowledge that your dealer knows the wind noise problem has been fixed in cars using the DIY fix. As far as I can tell, Lexus will not allow the dealers to fix the cars in the manner that I have suggested. I can offer no explanation other than they are shortsighted.

I would be glad to help anyone who wants to try the DIY Triangle Trim fix.

If you live near Garland TX, I would be glad to do the DIY fix for you. I am not in business and I am not selling anything.

Or if you would like to have my advice about any details regarding the DIY fix I would be glad to help you via email or telephone.

I know that there are some owners who feel that only Lexus should work on their car. It has become evident that Lexus is very unlikely to ever fix their cars - some of the 07 models with this problem are three years old now. One of the owners described, in this discussion thread, the DIY fix as akin to working on a $70K car with a caulk gun. So, if anyone would like for me to just look at their car - it would take less than a minute per side - and give them an opinion about whether the triangle trim is causing their wind noise problem, I could do that too.

If you would like to have my help, you can contact me through the "Private Messages" feature on this site.
Jim: I am visiting this week in Dallas and have been shopping the Lexus dealers for a new LS460 or LS460L. I have a neighbor at home in Southern Illinois who has mentioned the wind noise in her 460 and am curious if Lexus has corrected this problem since most of the posts I have seen are about a year old. The salesman I have talked with at Sewell Lexus claims none of his customers have had this problem..........Please bring me up to date by either calling me on my celphone (618-303-1782) or e-mailing me: import@midwest.net Thanks! Don Michel (pronounced like "Mitchell")
Old 09-17-09, 01:52 PM
jmcraney

Smile

Originally Posted by donmichel
Jim: I am visiting this week in Dallas and have been shopping the Lexus dealers for a new LS460 or LS460L. I have a neighbor at home in Southern Illinois who has mentioned the wind noise in her 460 and am curious if Lexus has corrected this problem since most of the posts I have seen are about a year old. The salesman I have talked with at Sewell Lexus claims none of his customers have had this problem..........Please bring me up to date by either calling me on my celphone (618-303-1782) or e-mailing me: import@midwest.net Thanks! Don Michel (pronounced like "Mitchell")
I met with Don. He has attended the 15 minute "Wind Noise Repair" training course and is now certified to do the wind noise fix on all LS460 models. Apparently the salesman he talked to just started yesterday.

Jeff
Old 09-18-09, 06:11 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 15 minute course... Is it for the triangle fix only?
Old 09-18-09, 03:03 PM
jmcraney

Default LS460s In The Florida Lemon Law "Bought Back" Vehicles List

The 100th LS460 was added to Florida's Lemon Law "Bought Back" Vehicles List a couple of days ago. Actually there were two additions, a 2007 LS460 (#99) and a 2008 LS460 (#100).

If you want to check for yourself, you can go here: http://www.myfloridalegal.com/#

A sort of that list shows the following distribution:

2007----LS460-----67
2007----LS460L---19
2008----LS460-----13
2008----LS460L----1

In looking at these numbers, one might conclude that Lexus was making progress on the problem because there are fewer buybacks for 2008. But, since we don't know anything about the production/sales volume per year, it is hard to draw any conclusions about progress from these figures. And, as you can see, the list is "alive" because there were recent entries for both 07 and 08 models, so, the numbers may ultimately be somewhat different. Some other cynical explanations for the declining buybacks in 08 models might be that Lexus has become more adept at deflecting litigation/arbitration by telling LS460 owners that a fix is coming and they will call when it is available - remember the "crosswind turbulence noise deflector gadget" - or by telling owners that the wind noise is a "subjective" issue and their cars meet all specifications and the noise they hear is because their cars are so quiet. HUH?

To be fair, I have to say that I don't know that all of these cars were repurchased for wind noise because that information is not disclosed on the Florida site. But there is a strong circumstantial case for saying that a large majority were wind noise related. Over many months I have watched the Florida site and searched the Internet many times using every VIN from that list multiple times. I found a few of the VINs advertised without any disclosure. Never did I find a single instance where any of these cars were being advertised for sale at a Lexus dealership. I found 13 cars from the Florida list that were advertised on the Internet with disclosures that they had been repurchased by Lexus for wind noise issues. There was not a single disclosure for any of the VINs in the Florida list for anything other than wind noise. Nationally, I found advertisements, with disclosures for one LS460 repurchased for "engine noise" and one for "squeaky brakes" and twenty five, including the thirteen from Florida, for wind noise.

You need to keep in mind that the "teeth-to-tail" ratio for these sorts of things is usually small. By that I mean the number of owners who are ultimately successful with a Lemon Law case ("teeth") compared to the number of owners with the problem who are unsuccessful with Lemon Law statutes, or never seek resolution, or do a DIY fix, or never realize they have a problem ("tail") is typically small and perhaps may differ by an order of magnitude or more. I think it is apparent that it has not been a small problem for Lexus and it has not been a small problem for LS460 owners.

Since I became interested in the "wind noise" problem I have started looking at the LS460s parked nearby when I park in a public parking lot. Almost all of the ones that I look at have a problem with the trim. I have seen one that had a botched trim repair - it was really ugly - but it may have been effective for wind noise reduction. A couple of days ago I saw an LS460 near where I had parked, so I walked over to look at the trim. When I was still more than 20 feet from the car I could see the white tape showing under the aft edge of the triangle trim on the passenger side and when I got close I could see that there was a gap of about 3/8" under the upper rear corner. Today, when I went out, I got to look at another LS460 in a parking lot and the trim looked very good - it did not look worked-on and it looked like it would not have a wind noise problem.

If you are still having a wind noise problem with your LS460, you should eliminate the triangle trim as a possible source. You can do that with the DIY fix that has been discussed in this thread. As far as I know, you can not get the triangle trim repaired, in the manner that is talked about here, at any Lexus dealer. I think that Lexus has expressly forbidden this type of repair at Lexus dealerships.
Old 09-21-09, 06:02 AM
ls460love
Driver

I like to think of myself as an automotive stickler... My children have only been in my LS twice. That said, I cannot imagine asking Lexus to buy back the LS for wind noise alone. Yes, it's not tomb quiet at speed, but the vehicle is quite an engineering accomplishment as a whole. I'd love to see a real fix (and one that does not require techs making massive "by hand" modifications to factory work).
Old 09-22-09, 04:57 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by ls460love
I like to think of myself as an automotive stickler... My children have only been in my LS twice. That said, I cannot imagine asking Lexus to buy back the LS for wind noise alone. Yes, it's not tomb quiet at speed, but the vehicle is quite an engineering accomplishment as a whole. I'd love to see a real fix (and one that does not require techs making massive "by hand" modifications to factory work).
Sir,

With all due respect (there is no sarcasm or disrespect here, I am writing this with kindness in my heart and a smile on my face) I have said this many times in this discussion and I guess I need to say it again. I am not suggesting that anyone try to get Lexus to buy back their LS460 because of wind noise. I am in full agreement that the LS460s are engineering marvels. Your inability to imagine asking Lexus to buyback an LS460 indicates that you have not experienced the wind noise in its extreme form. The extreme wind noise manifestation is so severe that it certainly rises to the buyback level. My car was so bad that I was not going to be able to keep it. The defect that causes this problem causes a wide degree of severity ranging from slight to extreme. The extreme form of the wind noise causes people to want to push their cars over a cliff and those who are subjected to it for extended periods want to drive their cars over a cliff. I respect, and I share your enthusiasm for a robotically implemented new design to deal with the wind noise. As far as i can tell Lexus is going to continue with the current design for the 2010 model because they can't imagine anyone finding the wind noise so objectionable they would want to sell their car back, or maybe they can.
Old 09-22-09, 07:08 AM
ls460love
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Sir,

With all due respect (there is no sarcasm or disrespect here, I am writing this with kindness in my heart and a smile on my face) I have said this many times in this discussion and I guess I need to say it again. I am not suggesting that anyone try to get Lexus to buy back their LS460 because of wind noise. I am in full agreement that the LS460s are engineering marvels. Your inability to imagine asking Lexus to buyback an LS460 indicates that you have not experienced the wind noise in its extreme form. The extreme wind noise manifestation is so severe that it certainly rises to the buyback level. My car was so bad that I was not going to be able to keep it. The defect that causes this problem causes a wide degree of severity ranging from slight to extreme. The extreme form of the wind noise causes people to want to push their cars over a cliff and those who are subjected to it for extended periods want to drive their cars over a cliff. I respect, and I share your enthusiasm for a robotically implemented new design to deal with the wind noise. As far as i can tell Lexus is going to continue with the current design for the 2010 model because they can't imagine anyone finding the wind noise so objectionable they would want to sell their car back, or maybe they can.
So sorry to have ruffled some feathers and you are correct as I don't experience anything to that degree in my LS. I guess it's like anything else in the world... You simply don't know until you know. And I'm thankful that I don't know
Old 09-22-09, 11:53 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The wind noise on my 2007 460 didn't surface until about 1-2 months after delivery. Because the LS was a relatively new experience for me, I didn't clue in to the phenomena until it started to creep into the conversation ever so slowly. I turned to my wife at the time and said, "Are you hearing some noise coming out of the corner of the window?". She said very casually, "I've been hearing that since the beginning".

I brought this to the attention of my service guy at the first oil change. Of course, they knew nothing about it as this car was a new model, so it was dismissed at the time. The noise either got worse or I became more attuned to it from that point on. Finally, with TSB in hand, I told my dealer to repair it. The Canadian Lexus division didn't even have the TSB registered in their system, so they had to refer to the one south of the border.

The repair was eventually done (front windows & door seals) and we were satisfied with the results. Had I kept the 460, I would have done the JMc fix, as some of the noise was still apparent. However, I traded up to a 600, and this issue did not surface on the new car, which leads me to think this problem is an assembly line anomaly (the 460 and the 600 use a different assembly line), one that could be eliminated if Lexus really put their heart and soul into it. Evidently, the effort and time to do so are not impacting their bottom line enough, or so it would seem.
Old 09-22-09, 01:07 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

jmcraney
I just looked at your fix DIY and it looks like a great simple fix....
Old 09-27-09, 07:05 AM
ahalyaa
Driver School Candidate

Default update of wind nosie fix

as posted in the forum, my 07 lexus just returned from shop with fixes. I see clear difference in noise. They have tried update the 09 ls with these fixes. Here is the list below that was done to my lexus

1) New acoustic front glass windows in driver & passenger
2) Clip, roof drip side
3) Additional padding in front door oustide
4) Install windshield deflector molding ( both sides)
5)Rood drip moulding
5) Windshield mouldind
6) Wipers
7)fixes for cross turbulence

thx

Last edited by ahalyaa; 09-27-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-27-09, 11:27 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
jmcraney
I just looked at your fix DIY and it looks like a great simple fix....
would you mind pointing me to the fix? 39 pages..man my eyes a crossed

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)