LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 02:36 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
Well....I never thought much about the wind noise, but today I lowered my window just a hair, and sure enough, the car did get more quiet. I am going to call my local Lexus dude and see what he says. I'm hoping he'll have an open mind about it because he has been a pretty nice guy to deal with over the last 10 years or so. Still a very pleasant car to drive....but shouldn't have to lower the window on a $60k car to get the wind noise down.
I expect Whit is correct about the response that you will get from Lexus. This effect has been reported multiple times in the discussions threads, some reports dating back more than two years.

The most likely cause of this is that the area around the aft edge of the triangle trim bulges out slightly when the window tops out. You can feel this by putting your fingers on the trim and operating the window. When you back the window off a little you relieve this bulge.
Old 12-10-08, 10:57 PM
topgun04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the triagnle piece?

Jmc and other, I just bought my LS460 and drove it for about 600 miles so far. No wind noise yet. But when I reviewed this thread and saw the picture of the triangle piece on page 1, I tried to locate it in my car and can't seem to find it. Do you have a picture of where the piece is? Thanks.
Old 12-11-08, 04:48 AM
jmcraney

The "triangle trim" pieces that are frequently referred to in this discussion thread are located at the forward lower corners of the windows in the front doors of the LS460s and the LS600s adjacent to the outside mirrors.

This is a view of the drivers side trim:
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)-locactor-2-flat-.jpg  

Last edited by jmcraney; 12-22-08 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-08, 09:06 AM
topgun04
Driver

Thanks, JMC. found the piece..
Old 12-11-08, 09:10 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by topgun04
Thanks, JMC. found the piece..
Check your PM for a message.
Old 12-11-08, 09:27 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Be prepared for the service manager to tell you, 'well this is an engineered-in feature to prevent long term, over compression of the upper window gasket and seals.'

;->

Whit
What I said about getting this kind of response from Lexus was an error. Whit expressed it right. You will probably not get any response from Lexus on this subject. This a type of response you might get from your dealership. I think they sit around at lunch time making this stuff up and then have a good laugh.
Old 12-11-08, 01:36 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Can anyone confirm the lamisafe makes a difference. Was Lamisafe used in 07 L's and not in the SWB's?

I'm guessing it does not if all 09's come with it since the L 09 that I drove had wind noise at 65-75.

Originally Posted by joeyb
Two comments:

I just got a 2009 SWB, and it came standard with the Lamisafe front window glass. So, somebody at Lexus is listening.

At high speeds I can still hear a very mild sound of wind passing past the window (not at the front part of the window). Is that the problem we are talking about, or is that considered fixed?
Old 12-11-08, 04:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
What I said about getting this kind of response from Lexus was an error. Whit expressed it right. You will probably not get any response from Lexus on this subject. This a type of response you might get from your dealership. I think they sit around at lunch time making this stuff up and then have a good laugh.
^^^ What he said. No doubt, some service guys must think we're a bunch of oversensitive owners.

If I drove what they drive, I would probably be just as cynical...
Old 12-13-08, 10:32 PM
topgun04
Driver

Default Crap...

Look like my 08 has the wind noise problem on the driver side. Today, I got to go to the city with my wife. So we swap driving. And the driver side has a lot more road noise (sound of the engine from the car in the next lane, tire noise, wind noise etc.) than the passenger side. Once we turn off the CD, I can hear all kind of noise on the driver side but not much in the passenger side. Look like I will be one of the future candidate for trying out the fix.. I will let you guys know how it turn out...

Last edited by topgun04; 12-13-08 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 05:21 AM
jmcraney

Default Improved Wind Noise Fix Coming Soon

I am working on a variation of my original "Wind Noise Fix" that I hope will give anyone who implements it a better expectation of complete success on the first try. It will have some new pictures that better illustrate the causes of the problem. If anyone is considering doing the original fix, you should wait. I hope to get it posted in the next week or two.
Old 12-19-08, 02:13 PM
jmcraney

If you have been following this discussion thread, you will recall that "uae" has made several unsuccessful attempts at the wind-noise-fix. I have spent some time, actually a lot of time, working with him, via email and snail mail, to try to steer him to success. This morning I had an email from him telling me that our latest efforts have paid off. I will leave it to him to tell you the rest of his story.

What I finally did to provide him some help was pull the trim off my car so I could take some more pictures. I wanted to show him more detail about the cause of the problem and a more illustrative approach to effecting a repair. The pictures that I am going to post are very much like the ones I emailed to him. There is nothing new here other than some better pictures and a different way to do the repair. The cause is the same: problems under the triangle trim.

While I think my original procedure produced good results for most, a few got marginal improvement or no improvement because they lacked that "feel" for how much sealant to use. When I looked at mine, as I took it off, I could see that I should have used more sealant. The new information that I am providing takes that uncertainty out. I know I said mine was perfect, but I think it is better now if that is possible. For those of you who got good results the first time, you don't need to do anything. If you still have minor problem in that area, there might be some improvement for you in redoing it the new way.

For those of you who have that problem of "wind noise getting better when you slightly lower your window," I would like to share with you that I have had the pleasure of privately working with "lexier" who has implemented the new fix with no improvement to his problem. Although he didn't get an improvement at least he knows that it is not from the triangle trim. I hope that he will share any wisdom he develops about that problem. Since I don't have that kind of problem, I am unable to provide any suggestions other than to be sure you don't have the triangle trim problem.

I will get the new pictures posted tomorrow.
Old 12-19-08, 06:09 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Ok,I got my car back from the dealer 1 week ago for the wind noise fix,When I first mentioned it to my service rep he knew exactly what I was talking about,he seemed very confident it was an easy fix,He first explained to me that they change the glass and the seals around the window where the glass fits up into the seal,my car is an 08' so it had the lamisafe glass already so I assume they just changed the seals,I wasnt concerned about the triangle peices because I did the tape test with no results.When I picked up the car I went right on to the highway for a test drive and sure enough the wind noise was gone .I did the lower the window trick and there was no sound change,so now Im convinced its fixed.Btw of course I agree at highway speeds you have to hear some wind turbulence,and I believe with this car it might be more noticable because its so damn quiet.When I got her home I inspected the job,It seems to me that they didnt touch the window seals but I could be wrong,But I know for sure they did the the triangle fix (jmcraney)fix,If I look close I can see the black silicone they used to seal it.I can know honestly say that if the window seals are replaced and the triangles are (sealed properly) that the wind noise issue is resolved,but if I had a choice on what to replace first I would say start with the triangle peices,Thanks to everyone on CLF I was able to resolve this problem .Happy Holidays.

Last edited by Whipple1; 12-19-08 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-08, 06:39 PM
jimmyo
Driver School Candidate

Whipple1, I am also in New York, what dealer did you use for the fix.
Old 12-19-08, 09:39 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimmyo
Whipple1, I am also in New York, what dealer did you use for the fix.
Lexus of Massapequa,If interested call service and ask for Mike Balleta.
Old 12-20-08, 04:52 AM
jmcraney

Default Where Is The Triangle Trim?

This picture shows the location of the "Triangle Trim."
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)-locator1-flat-.jpg  

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)