LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 07:17 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for your continued help man. How many sealments do i need and where do i get them from ?
Old 09-16-08, 12:39 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
Thanx for your continued help man. How many sealments do i need and where do i get them from ?
You will need one tube of sealant. Check your Private Message feature on this site.
Old 09-16-08, 06:45 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
Maurice, I would ask to set up an appointment with the field rep. Have him drive with you and verify the noise in fact is not normal like I did. I than handed them a nice neat printed step by step "how to" Jeff C posted. They agreed to do the repair on a experimental basis meaning when they were done and it was not to my sadisfaction...tough. It did solve the problem. However some dealers may just be arrogant and do a half azz fix not accomplishing anything.

I built a relationship up with the shop foreman. I don't know if every dealer has one but his job is to fix the tough problems and interact with the clients. I know he was going to do a good job.

You really have to get involved and politely persuade them to fix the car.

As you, Lexus told me no way on a buy back. I guess thats why the buy backs had to go to court first.

I'm more made at Lexus to come out with a 4WD LS 460 model only after a 2 year production run. I would have expected at least a 4-5 year run before they made my car obsolete and killed my resale value.

Gary,
I didn't have to go to court. I simply called Lexus corporate (a few times) and explained a problem. Last time I called, they said that there is nothing they can do to fix my car and if I wanted to, they could initiate a BuyBack. I said YES. It took them 10 weeks, but they have refunded all of my money paid and I was free and clear. My first purchase was a lease, so they paid it off, refunded what I had paid in 18 months that I owned the car and I could simply walk away. I have decided to get another LS460L and do Jeff's fix if my new car had similar issues. So far, it's not even close, therefore, I have not done the fix as of yet.
In ref to buy back... I was dealing with Lexus Corp office in NJ. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you the persons info.

Dmitry
Old 09-16-08, 07:57 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
Gary,
I didn't have to go to court. I simply called Lexus corporate (a few times) and explained a problem. Last time I called, they said that there is nothing they can do to fix my car and if I wanted to, they could initiate a BuyBack. I said YES. It took them 10 weeks, but they have refunded all of my money paid and I was free and clear. My first purchase was a lease, so they paid it off, refunded what I had paid in 18 months that I owned the car and I could simply walk away. I have decided to get another LS460L and do Jeff's fix if my new car had similar issues. So far, it's not even close, therefore, I have not done the fix as of yet.
In ref to buy back... I was dealing with Lexus Corp office in NJ. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you the persons info.

Dmitry

Thank you Dmitry, I'm happy with the car now after the fix, I don't want a buy back. I called Lex US corp home office California, never thought a branch office would be more receptive... Thanks

Maybe others will.

I couldn't be more happy with the car now.
Old 09-16-08, 03:05 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

I have just finished creating a website regarding the success stories of the great Mcraney fix that i havent tried yet.

http://www.freewebtown.com/uaels460/Jmcraney.htm

Last edited by uae; 09-16-08 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 06:16 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
I have just finished creating a website regarding the success stories of the great Mcraney fix that i havent tried yet.

Nice Job on that website .This is a great idea for the people who have the wind noise and want to show the dealers a direct location of the problem and fix.I Just got an 08' and I never really noticed any wind noise, the only noise I hear is a little turbulance on the sides of the car at 70+mph,any speed under its totally silent,both sides sound equal and no whistles, just sounds like air moving fast along the car that sounds normal and not annoying.I did try the painters tape around the triangle to be sure of any wind noise,I taped around it very tight and sealed,and both my wife and I agree that there was no change in wind noise.I also remember my first impression how quiet the car is on the hwy.I still question myself if I have any and if the car can be any more quiet than it is.I wish I knew what the wind noise really sounds like and compare it.Thanks again for the website and thanks to Jmcraney for finding the problem and fix just incase the problem does arise,or did it already .
Old 09-16-08, 09:12 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Heres a shorter URL :

or
http://www.freewebtown.com/uaels460

If theres any (Cut-Paste) error in the URL , please pm.

Last edited by uae; 09-17-08 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 12:44 PM
awatkins
Driver School Candidate

Default Has GaryR had his meds today?

Originally Posted by garyr
I don't think you figured out anything. ...... I also see you have zero repair skills. ....... The poorly designed hollow piece of plastic acts as a amplifier to noise. .......ain you are probably one of the people who are not having the problem or don't even own the car. ...Keep pushing that triangle piece.........just ridicules IMHO.
Hey Gary --- I removed my original part and carefully installed a replacement part and it fixed my 460L's wind noise problem.

I'm sorry you weren't smart enough or lucky enough to discover that yourself, but that's not my fault, so I don't know why you're being so hostile to me.

BTW, how is it that I have zero repair skills while you had to go to your dealer to have a piece of plastic glued on?

Last edited by awatkins; 09-19-08 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-08, 12:51 PM
awatkins
Driver School Candidate

Default Or, you could fix it like a professional would...

Originally Posted by uae
The "great Mcraney fix" is just bad amateur auto repair that dishonors the careful design and quality of this fine car.

UAE: When you do get around to trying it, do yourself a favor and skip the silicone goop. Instead, go pick up a new part (see previous posts for part number, etc.), and carefully replace the old part. Just make sure the triangle of tape seals all the way around. It will take you about 5 minutes and you won't have to wait for any goop to dry nor clean up after the mess you make doing a half-assed repair.

Last edited by awatkins; 09-19-08 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 12:56 PM
awatkins
Driver School Candidate

Default Feeling left out?

Originally Posted by Whipple1
I wish I knew what the wind noise really sounds like and compare it.
Oh, that's easy, here's how you do it. Take a paint scraper and shove it underneath the front of the black traingular piece to about 3/4 of an inch. Lever it out a little to make sure it's unstuck.

Congratulations, now you're a member of the wind noise club.

Last edited by awatkins; 09-19-08 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-08, 01:17 PM
awatkins
Driver School Candidate

Default Faith-based auto repair

Originally Posted by jmcraney
awatkins,

.... I believe that you can only attain the ultimate noise reduction by putting some sealant under the trim and closing the gaps. I think that just replacing the part is for those with extreme symptoms who are unable to get relief from Lexus and are unable to to do their own repair..
That statement is neither logical nor in the best interest of the other readers.

It's illogical because the only scientific basis on which you can make that claim is if you have done both repair methods on the same car and then found the goop method to measure at lower wind noise. Have you done that?

I have done it both ways, and the results were identical: unmeasurable wind noise.

Compared to the goop method, replacing the part is easier, faster, less messy, requires no drying time, and leaves the car in its as-designed condition. And if you look at the part for a minute you'll see that, properly installed, it DOES "close all the gaps". Thus, it's the opposite of the last resort you call it: it's a professional fix compared to an amateur hack. With the new part installed, up to at least 85 mph the loudest noise in my 460L is always road noise.

This is not a design problem: it's a minor assembly error and should be treated as such.
Old 09-19-08, 01:32 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awatkins
That statement is neither logical nor in the best interest of the other readers.

It's illogical because the only scientific basis on which you can make that claim is if you have done both repair methods on the same car and then found the goop method to measure at lower wind noise. Have you done that?

I have done it both ways, and the results were identical: unmeasurable wind noise.

Compared to the goop method, replacing the part is easier, faster, less messy, requires no drying time, and leaves the car in its as-designed condition. And if you look at the part for a minute you'll see that, properly installed, it DOES "close all the gaps". Thus, it's the opposite of the last resort you call it: it's a professional fix compared to an amateur hack. With the new part installed, up to at least 85 mph the loudest noise in my 460L is always road noise.

This is not a design problem: it's a minor assembly error and should be treated as such.
Alan,
I'm not sure why you have to put Jeff down like that. I think what he's done is great service to this community. He has done something that no other Lexus dealer or FSR has been able to accomplish, which is to find the source and address it. I'm glad that replacing those triangle pieces worked for you and that you are happy with results. Tell me... Did you find the source of the wind noise your self or was it found based on Jeff's findings? You don't have to answer that question as we all know the answer to it.
Also, how's integrity of the car affected by applying goop (as you call it) to seal the wind leak? I don't get it.
Old 09-19-08, 01:55 PM
garyr
Pole Position

dimapb....ignore him-her, he-she doesn't have a clue and probably does not own the car, he-she just wants to just get a rise out of people.
Old 09-19-08, 02:05 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Alan,

I am sorry you are upset with us. If you would direct your wrath toward Lexus it would probably be more effective.

As for the part design: I have tried to get some idea of the magnitude of this problem by looking at some of the owner reviews that have been posted on some of the sites such as Yahoo and Edmunds. On one of these sites there are over 30 owner reviews of the 2007 LS460 and 25% cited wind noise as a problem. The reviews of the 2008 LS460s had a 14% wind noise problem. I have not calculated the LS600s but is not insignificant. Of course we can't tell for sure what this really means but it seems to indicate a problem. And I have found several instances of cars that have been repurchased by Lexus because of wind noise.

So to say that there is not a problem with the design of triangle trim seems to be stretch. There seems to be either a design problem with that trim part or the part that it mates with (the door). Of course it could be a problem with the assembly-robot (not enough pressure), but that is a design problem too. The robots were probably designed by the previous robots. Oh well, you get the idea.

Thanks again for telling us how you feel and sharing your ideas. The free flow of information and ideas is what it's all about.

Again, please don't be upset with us - WORK ON LEXUS!

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-19-08 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 06:32 PM
bc07
Driver School Candidate

awatkins

I cannot say whether the new replacement triangles can eliminate the wind noise problem as effectively as jmcrany's fix. I can confirm (after several months and thousands of miles) that jmcrany's fix works and works well. He deserves our respect and aplause. Call the silicone "goop" if you will, but it works. I first tried all the TSIB fixes but none eliminated the wind noise. I then removed the triangles and reattached them with the goop. My good vehicle is now a great vehicle.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)