LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mass airflow sensor connection harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 11:14 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Mass airflow sensor connection harness

Hi all,

I took the engine filter apart this weekend and while doing so, it seems as thought I might have cracked the harness that connects to the mass airflow sensor. It’s not the sensor itself but the small clips. The clip is still attached, but a small part is obviously cracked. Wires seem to still be fine. Should I be concerned? Anyone else have this issue while squeezing and disconnecting the harness? It looks like it’s hanging now on my car lol

I’ve attached a pic of the area that was cracked (this pic isn’t the actual condition of my car, found this online but wanted to pinpoint the area).

Old 12-14-20, 11:58 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
Hi all,

I took the engine filter apart this weekend and while doing so, it seems as thought I might have cracked the harness that connects to the mass airflow sensor. It’s not the sensor itself but the small clips. The clip is still attached, but a small part is obviously cracked. Wires seem to still be fine. Should I be concerned? Anyone else have this issue while squeezing and disconnecting the harness? It looks like it’s hanging now on my car lol

I’ve attached a pic of the area that was cracked (this pic isn’t the actual condition of my car, found this online but wanted to pinpoint the area).
Same thing happened to both of mine a while ago, as it seems the plastic might get brittle over time. On my '07 I used 2 zip ties to secure both sensors, and they've both been fine for well over 8 months now.

Old 12-14-20, 12:01 PM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Same thing happened to both of mine a while ago, as it seems the plastic might get brittle over time. On my '07 I used 2 zip ties to secure both sensors, and they've both been fine for well over 8 months now.

omg yes!!! Lol same situation as yours!! Ok I’ll use the zip tie approach too! Haha! You just zipped one and the other over it right? You didn’t actually zip them both together, right?

I gotta do this for both left and right lol blah!
Old 12-14-20, 12:16 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allusuc
omg yes!!! Lol same situation as yours!! Ok I’ll use the zip tie approach too! Haha! You just zipped one and the other over it right? You didn’t actually zip them both together, right?

I gotta do this for both left and right lol blah!
I think mine is worse than yours pictured because initially I just used the one (12-6 o'clock position) to keep the tension tight. But then later the plastic tension tab broke off completely, and that's when I added the 2nd one (left to right). They are not connected to each other, however, the left to right one goes thru the inside of the mounting tab so there is just enough pressure to keep the plug secure.

Old 12-14-20, 12:27 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

The driver's side is a little trickier. LMAO

Old 12-14-20, 12:57 PM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
The driver's side is a little trickier. LMAO

haha wish I saw this before I started! I ended up zip tying mine against the big black hose on the right! Haha!
Old 12-14-20, 01:54 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 630 Posts

I had to replace multiple connectors on my LS. I got all replacements parts from local Lexus dealer. It took me around 3-5 minutes per connector. In total, I have replaced 5-6 connectors.
Old 12-14-20, 02:00 PM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I had to replace multiple connectors on my LS. I got all replacements parts from local Lexus dealer. It took me around 3-5 minutes per connector. In total, I have replaced 5-6 connectors.
You show them the connectors? Or you give them VIN and tell them the item you need?

super cool though ... but glad I was able to Jerry rig this thing to make it work lol
Old 12-14-20, 02:04 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

You technically don't have to provide a VIN but it makes things go faster. I just explained to the dealer what I was looking for. I had used zip tie solution for the throttle body connector until a replacement arrived.
Old 12-14-20, 07:53 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
You technically don't have to provide a VIN but it makes things go faster. I just explained to the dealer what I was looking for. I had used zip tie solution for the throttle body connector until a replacement arrived.
the throttle body connector did you have to cut and connect wires or just remove the pins from the existing one and pin them to the new connector? If you happen to have the part number that would help lots. Lexus dealer here is a no go for me thanks
Old 12-15-20, 04:11 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdanielca
the throttle body connector did you have to cut and connect wires or just remove the pins from the existing one and pin them to the new connector? If you happen to have the part number that would help lots. Lexus dealer here is a no go for me thanks
No cutting, I just replaced the connector housing.

The part number of the throttle position sensor connector housing is 90980-11858.

Last edited by Anfanger; 12-18-20 at 04:22 PM.