LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"air suspension package" vs. "touring package"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 02:16 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "air suspension package" vs. "touring package"

My local dealer doesn't have a "air suspension" version available to test. Could someone help me understand what it offers? Is it unadjustable, or does it have different settings like 'comfort', 'firm', etc. If it is adjustable, how does each setting compare to the standard suspension? I assume that if the "air suspension" is adjustable, it won't even at the firmest setting go as firm as the "touring" version?

Last edited by syswei; 12-01-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-01-07, 02:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

There are 3 adjustable modes for the LS460L air suspension, it's comfort, normal & sports, I have only driven the non-Touring version though.
Old 12-01-07, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the 3 settings do make some difference. i wouldn't say a lot, but i could notice it after i drove the car for a while

and the air suspension has much better rebounce and response on the road, dip, bump, uneven road, etc... basically a smoother ride. i also think it has a bit better handling, but not significant.

moreover, with the air suspension, there is a "height" adjustment, which supposedly raise the car up a bit. never really use it though
Old 12-01-07, 03:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the 3 settings do make some difference. i wouldn't say a lot, but i could notice it after i drove the car for a while
I would say I definately noticed some difference between the sports & comfort modes during my test drives.
Old 12-01-07, 03:29 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I originally test drove a "touring" model, but it was on good roads with the salesman. Today I tried a standard suspension LS460L on my own, including on some bad roads, and was very disappointed with the suspension (having tested an S550 4matic only minutes before on the same loop). I am going to go test the "touring" model again, but since in my area "touring" would be a special order, whereas "air suspension" can be had as a normal build, if I buy the LS it would probably be the "air suspension".

If anyone could provide thoughts on the "air suspension" vs "touring" it would be helpful. For instance, is the sport setting on the "air suspension" roughly the same as the middle setting on the "touring"? Other than the suspension and brakes, are there any other differences? For instance, is the steering different on the "touring"?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-07, 03:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take with a grain of salt, but Edmunds here tested the LS 460 L with air suspension, stating:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119408

At higher speeds, the LS 460 L feels a touch sportier, as its steering firms up while the adaptive shocks keep its body impressively level through turns. The suspension offers Normal, Comfort and Sport modes, but the differences are slight aside from subtly tighter rebound damping in Sport. The ride motions are beautifully controlled in any mode, even at triple-digit velocity.
They did not test the Touring version, but they provide this info as a starting point for comparison:

Varying surface conditions are likely in play here, says our road tester, and to its credit, the LS 460 L never lost its cool. ABS vibration was minimal and fade was nonexistent. Still, we'd like to test an L with the Touring Package, which provides larger brake discs (14.6 inches in front, 13.2 inches in back) and wider 245/45R19 summer tires, along with a firmer suspension calibration.
"firmer" calibration and bigger brakes could result in a more sporty feel, I imagine.
Old 12-01-07, 05:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it is my understanding that the air suspension you are seeing as a normal build is the same air suspenion in the touring package. the only difference is that the touring package includes bigger brakes, and bigger wheels. but the air suspension part is the same.
Old 12-01-07, 07:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by syswei
Thanks guys. I originally test drove a "touring" model, but it was on good roads with the salesman. Today I tried a standard suspension LS460L on my own, including on some bad roads, and was very disappointed with the suspension (having tested an S550 4matic only minutes before on the same loop). I am going to go test the "touring" model again, but since in my area "touring" would be a special order, whereas "air suspension" can be had as a normal build, if I buy the LS it would probably be the "air suspension".

If anyone could provide thoughts on the "air suspension" vs "touring" it would be helpful. For instance, is the sport setting on the "air suspension" roughly the same as the middle setting on the "touring"? Other than the suspension and brakes, are there any other differences? For instance, is the steering different on the "touring"?

Thanks.
i also tend to think the air suspension on touring is the same as that on the normal lwb, but then i haven't read anything to confirm that. if anything, i would say the ride should be similar
Old 12-02-07, 04:34 AM
syswei
Pole Position

I found some info on the Lexus website:

Air Suspension Package $2,985 [3]
19 x 8.0-in five-spoke alloy wheels with 245/45YR19 all-season tires [19] [15]
Variable Gear-Ratio Steering (VGRS)
Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS)

Touring Package $2,985 [3]
19 x 8.0-in five-spoke alloy wheels with 245/45YR19 summer tires [19] [15]
Variable Gear-Ratio Steering (VGRS)
Sport-tuned Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS)
High-friction brakes with 14.1-in (front) and 13.3-in (rear) ventilated discs

...so there is a claim at least that the AVS on the touring is "Sport-tuned". It is going to be hard to find a dealer where I can test drive both, back to back. If there is a difference, I wonder how much of one, and whether, for instance, touring on its middle setting might equal air on its firmest setting. Also, I'm wondering if there is any difference in the steering, though no claim is made of that.
Old 12-02-07, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

steering should be the same, both cars should have VGS (variable gear steering).

in terms of suspension, why not just test drive the touring in sport and comfort settings. that will give you the "worst" case scenario. the normal air suspension can only be softer, if at all
Old 12-02-07, 02:26 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
steering should be the same, both cars should have VGS (variable gear steering).

in terms of suspension, why not just test drive the touring in sport and comfort settings. that will give you the "worst" case scenario. the normal air suspension can only be softer, if at all
Actually, my concern is that the air suspension might not be firm enough. I found the standard non-AVS to offer a ride that to my taste was too soft and uncontrolled-feeling; also on certain bumps I heard fairly loud noises. I'm going to try to find a place to test drive an air suspension version and see how I like it, as I'd rather not special order a touring version.
Old 12-02-07, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

on noise, air suspension is definitely quieter. in that case, drive a touring and the setting to comfort and see how you like it then